Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

New to Halifax, NS

New to Halifax, NS

Old Oct 16th 2019, 4:54 pm
Forum Regular

Grimnorth has a reputation beyond reputeGrimnorth has a reputation beyond reputeGrimnorth has a reputation beyond reputeGrimnorth has a reputation beyond reputeGrimnorth has a reputation beyond reputeGrimnorth has a reputation beyond reputeGrimnorth has a reputation beyond reputeGrimnorth has a reputation beyond reputeGrimnorth has a reputation beyond reputeGrimnorth has a reputation beyond reputeGrimnorth has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: New to Halifax, NS

Originally Posted by mush77
Hi all....some of you might remember one of my older posts, trying to decide between the UK and NS, well, I decided on NS and I love it here!

I have a few questions for any fellow NS people on here...
- are there any stores that sell british goods in Dartmouth/Halifax area?
- any people that want to meet up in person and talk about life in Canada or just chat in general and make a new friend? I’m 37, single, live in eastern passage now, and have lived in Canada for 8 years, just got my citizenship this year, and looking to vote for the first time next week 😊
- any secret places that aren’t on the tourist radar that you’d recommend (although I like the touristy stuff too)
- any other advise while living here?

thanks in advance 😊
Hi and welcome to NS, we love it here as well.

British stuff abounds here although Pete's Boutique is not what it used to be since it was bought by Sobeys.

Delish Fine foods in Upper Tantallon serves real English breakfast, cornish pasties, sausage rolls etc etc. They also sell British food similar to the old Pete's, crisps, biscuits etc etc.

Kate's Bakery in New Minas (towards the Annapolis Valley) does not do breakfast etc but does sell English goodies the same as Delish. It is run by the sister of Pete Luckett who use to own Pete's Boutique.

Nippers Fish & Chips Kentville (near New Minas) is a chip van which does real English fish and chips. It is run by Ralph and Kath Davies from Peterborough and is the closest we have ever got to traditional English fish and Chips. You have to check their online page to see when they are open and where they are. Usually its Thu-Sat somewhere around Kentville, New Minas or Wolfville.

Best way to get Delish, kates and Nippers is through their facebook pages.

Walmart has a British section where you can get Heinz beans and soup, but it seems to be getting smaller by the month.

Every July they have the British motoring festival at the King's Edgehill School Windsor. British classic cars (about 200) of them from all across North America. Not to mention fish and chips and cornish pasties

Henry House pub in downtown Halifax does half decent real ales and proper chips.

When I am next heading downtown (we live in the rural North) I will give you a shout and we can do coffee.
Old Oct 16th 2019, 5:24 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
Oh, I understand, I recently paid Bristol's weekly food budget for a packet of Cadbury's Giant Buttons at one of the competing British food shops near here.
So that's where my money went.
Old Oct 16th 2019, 7:45 pm
Forum Regular

mush77 has a reputation beyond reputemush77 has a reputation beyond reputemush77 has a reputation beyond reputemush77 has a reputation beyond reputemush77 has a reputation beyond reputemush77 has a reputation beyond reputemush77 has a reputation beyond reputemush77 has a reputation beyond reputemush77 has a reputation beyond reputemush77 has a reputation beyond reputemush77 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Grimnorth

British stuff abounds here although Pete's Boutique is not what it used to be since it was bought by Sobeys.

Delish Fine foods in Upper Tantallon serves real English breakfast, cornish pasties, sausage rolls etc etc. They also sell British food similar to the old Pete's, crisps, biscuits etc etc.

Kate's Bakery in New Minas (towards the Annapolis Valley) does not do breakfast etc but does sell English goodies the same as Delish. It is run by the sister of Pete Luckett who use to own Pete's Boutique.

Nippers Fish & Chips Kentville (near New Minas) is a chip van which does real English fish and chips. It is run by Ralph and Kath Davies from Peterborough and is the closest we have ever got to traditional English fish and Chips. You have to check their online page to see when they are open and where they are. Usually its Thu-Sat somewhere around Kentville, New Minas or Wolfville.

Walmart has a British section where you can get Heinz beans and soup, but it seems to be getting smaller by the month.

Every July they have the British motoring festival at the King's Edgehill School Windsor. British classic cars (about 200) of them from all across North America. Not to mention fish and chips and cornish pasties

Henry House pub in downtown Halifax does half decent real ales and proper chips.

When I am next heading downtown (we live in the rural North) I will give you a shout and we can do coffee.

Thats a huge help, thank you so much 😍 I’m definitely going to check these places out....I have a bit of time to kill before I start working so it will get me out exploring too!
That’s amazing, and definitely give me a shout 😊
Old Oct 16th 2019, 8:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

scilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Grimnorth

Oh ................. I forgot to mention Henry House, it's a great place! Gets VERY busy at lunch time though.

The Celtic Pub over on Dartmouth, opposite the Ferry Terminal, is also good .... very tasty fish and chips.

We can buy some of the Roses' marmalades at our Safeway/Sobeys, selection varies.

Old Oct 16th 2019, 9:07 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scilly
We can buy some of the Roses' marmalades at our Safeway/Sobeys, selection varies.
I always liked the Lime one for a change from Orange.

But I have a new favourite now that has taken over from whisky marmalade. It says jam but it's definitely more marmalade-ish

Old Oct 18th 2019, 3:20 am
BE Forum Addict

scilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
I always liked the Lime one for a change from Orange.

But I have a new favourite now that has taken over from whisky marmalade. It says jam but it's definitely more marmalade-ish

I've always liked Roses Ginger Marmalade .............. OH will be looking in our Safeway/Sobeys tomorrow for it, otherwise we'll have to go to our large drug store etc chain London Drugs, next week. I have about half a jar left, so he has a bit of time to go looking for it

Old Oct 29th 2019, 11:26 pm
Forum Regular

Grimnorth has a reputation beyond reputeGrimnorth has a reputation beyond reputeGrimnorth has a reputation beyond reputeGrimnorth has a reputation beyond reputeGrimnorth has a reputation beyond reputeGrimnorth has a reputation beyond reputeGrimnorth has a reputation beyond reputeGrimnorth has a reputation beyond reputeGrimnorth has a reputation beyond reputeGrimnorth has a reputation beyond reputeGrimnorth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mush77

Thats a huge help, thank you so much 😍 I’m definitely going to check these places out....I have a bit of time to kill before I start working so it will get me out exploring too!
That’s amazing, and definitely give me a shout 😊
I have PM'd you about coffee/lunch. Are you around Thursday or Friday this week?

Old Oct 30th 2019, 3:45 am
BE Enthusiast

Tumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond repute

I am in Halifax... all the British places have been mentioned... was nice to have a full English in that place in Tantallon and see sausage rolls. Henry House is my place for pie and ale and feels like an English pub without seeming themed.

Great places in Halifax and Dartmouth for a pub crawl... the beer here is great, as is the cider if you like that sort of thing. Wolfville now has the Church Brewery (and great restaurant in a converted old church). Their porter is very reminiscent of English porters, despite being called a German Porter.

Not sure if that adds anything but happy to point you to some cool places for a pint.
Old Oct 30th 2019, 8:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Tumbling_Dice
I am in Halifax... all the British places have been mentioned... was nice to have a full English in that place in Tantallon and see sausage rolls. Henry House is my place for pie and ale and feels like an English pub without seeming themed.

Great places in Halifax and Dartmouth for a pub crawl... the beer here is great, as is the cider if you like that sort of thing. Wolfville now has the Church Brewery (and great restaurant in a converted old church). Their porter is very reminiscent of English porters, despite being called a German Porter.

Not sure if that adds anything but happy to point you to some cool places for a pint.

What about the Library Pub in Wolfville? That used to be good, and is in an intriguing building.

Plus there are several vineyards with tasting rooms and restaurants in the area around the town.
Old Oct 31st 2019, 8:46 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133

Amazon has most of what you would want and usually cheaper.

Masstown market used to do half decent fish and chips in the summer months.

Old Oct 31st 2019, 9:29 pm
Forum Regular

mush77 has a reputation beyond reputemush77 has a reputation beyond reputemush77 has a reputation beyond reputemush77 has a reputation beyond reputemush77 has a reputation beyond reputemush77 has a reputation beyond reputemush77 has a reputation beyond reputemush77 has a reputation beyond reputemush77 has a reputation beyond reputemush77 has a reputation beyond reputemush77 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alex2201
Amazon has most of what you would want and usually cheaper.

Masstown market used to do half decent fish and chips in the summer months.

true about amazon, sometimes it’s nice to walk into a store and see it on the shelf 🤣 sounds silly, it’s just my personal preference!

I’ll be sure to check out masstown in the summer for sure, thanks 😊
Old Nov 1st 2019, 3:32 am
BE Enthusiast

Tumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scilly
What about the Library Pub in Wolfville? That used to be good, and is in an intriguing building.

Plus there are several vineyards with tasting rooms and restaurants in the area around the town.
Probably the one place I have never been in. Will have to do so next time I am there. I love that area...not only is the wine scene great, the cider and the beer is fantastic. We went to one of the farms over the summer for a dinner prepared by the Jamaican seasonal workers and a tour... all that farm life is great too. Plus, one is not far from some great hikes.

Old Apr 21st 2020, 6:58 pm
Just Joined

Brit36 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey mush77 slightly off topic but are you still in NS? I just saw your old post about Brantford and moving, and i moved from there to kingston ontario about 2 years ago! Just wondering if you are still in NS or whether you moved back, because your previous UK posts resonated with me as i am planning a move back after 6 years here
Old Apr 21st 2020, 11:46 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Brit36
Hey mush77 slightly off topic but are you still in NS? I just saw your old post about Brantford and moving, and i moved from there to kingston ontario about 2 years ago! Just wondering if you are still in NS or whether you moved back, because your previous UK posts resonated with me as i am planning a move back after 6 years here
Hey....so after many mixed emotions I moved to NS, thought I should test out this area before jumping back into moving back to the UK. I love NS, but I’m still considering moving home one day (current events aren’t helping!)