Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

New to Forum & After Information about Emirgration Fairs!

New to Forum & After Information about Emirgration Fairs!

Old Aug 25th 2009, 8:45 pm
Just Joined

TheBaileyBumpkins is an unknown quantity at this point
Default New to Forum & After Information about Emirgration Fairs!

o/ Everyone

We are new here, been looking into moving to Nova Scotia for a while. We've read alot of the links on emigration, visas, houses, the lifestyles etc..It's definitely for us

Just one thing (not sure this is the correct forum) but we are looking for information on where to find the nearest emigration fair to us in somerset. Mainly to go and make some inital contacts and all. Alot of people seem to use this as the first step, but we can't find out where these fairs are! We've been told Jobcentre Plus is a good place to ask about these fairs, but they are no use unless you actually need a job in this country!

Any help would be great! Just to get the ball rolling really..can see a long road ahead...but we still can't wait!

Thanks for the replies everyone and any "pointers" that would help us would be very much appreciated!
Old Aug 25th 2009, 9:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

snoopster has much to be proud ofsnoopster has much to be proud ofsnoopster has much to be proud ofsnoopster has much to be proud ofsnoopster has much to be proud ofsnoopster has much to be proud ofsnoopster has much to be proud ofsnoopster has much to be proud ofsnoopster has much to be proud ofsnoopster has much to be proud ofsnoopster has much to be proud of
Default Re: New to Forum & After Information about Emirgration Fairs!

http://www.emigrate2.co.uk/shows_and_publications.htm[/URL]

this link will help. It shows the emigrate shows on across the UK. It also gives you a chance to subscribe to Emigrate Canada magazine, which has lots of useful articles and tips. We subscribed for a year and found it good reading.
Old Aug 25th 2009, 9:51 pm
Account Closed

jericho is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by TheBaileyBumpkins
o/ Everyone

We are new here, been looking into moving to Nova Scotia for a while. We've read alot of the links on emigration, visas, houses, the lifestyles etc..It's definitely for us

Just one thing (not sure this is the correct forum) but we are looking for information on where to find the nearest emigration fair to us in somerset. Mainly to go and make some inital contacts and all. Alot of people seem to use this as the first step, but we can't find out where these fairs are! We've been told Jobcentre Plus is a good place to ask about these fairs, but they are no use unless you actually need a job in this country!

Any help would be great! Just to get the ball rolling really..can see a long road ahead...but we still can't wait!

Thanks for the replies everyone and any "pointers" that would help us would be very much appreciated!
Paul Wildy, who is an immigration consultant based in NS (and contributes on the BE Immigration forum) has a show coming up I believe, but I'm not sure where abouts in the UK. You should look up his website- it's wildyimmigration.ca I believe.
Old Aug 26th 2009, 8:38 am
Forum Regular

hobbitess is on a distinguished road

We are at the same point as you guys and attended one in Leeds not too long ago. It really didn't tell me any more than I knew however we got to speak to some agency reps for a minute or two and clarified a few points. There were no employment consultants or gov reps. It was a big contrast to an Aussie one I attended in Manchester.

Check who will be presenting and if you have any queries write them down so you can exploit your time.

It was a long drive for us and we didn't gain much other than affirming we did not need an agent. Despite their gloss and nice photos.

Do you know where in NS you want to go? That is where we are looking.
Old Aug 26th 2009, 11:16 am
Just Joined

Thanks for all the replies guys

Originally Posted by hobbitess
We are at the same point as you guys and attended one in Leeds not too long ago. It really didn't tell me any more than I knew however we got to speak to some agency reps for a minute or two and clarified a few points. There were no employment consultants or gov reps. It was a big contrast to an Aussie one I attended in Manchester.

Check who will be presenting and if you have any queries write them down so you can exploit your time.

It was a long drive for us and we didn't gain much other than affirming we did not need an agent. Despite their gloss and nice photos.

Do you know where in NS you want to go? That is where we are looking.
This is what is worrying us. Liverpool is a long distance from us, and for it to be a waste of time would be more than dissapointing to be honest. We've had some contact from Amy at Paul Wildy (thank you for that) so that is one good thing about heading up there. It all depends on whether we wait for another closer one, or bite the bullet so to speak.

We're currently looking at the Halifax area. The company my Wife works for has a branch there (IMP / Westlands), meaning she could apply for an inter-company move, which would hopefully mean We could go over on her Visa, and I'd have to find work (Currently an Aircraft Enginner in the Navy, so hopefully that would open a few avenues..I know alot of ex RN engineers who moved to Halifax over the past few years).

But, it's early days. I've read alot of the blogs from people who have moved, and alot decide against their "first choice" alot of the time...so we'll just have to wait and see..

Where abouts are you guys looking at?
Old Aug 26th 2009, 11:19 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

The company my Wife works for has a branch there (IMP / Westlands), meaning she could apply for an inter-company move, which would hopefully mean We could go over on her Visa,
In which case, this Wiki article may be useful reading if you haven't already found it..........................http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Intra-...ransfer-Canada

And welcome to the forum.
Old Aug 26th 2009, 2:42 pm
Forum Regular

We are looking at Annapolis Royal, Wolfville, Lunenberg areas. I work in NHS and work in Nursing but would like to go back to being on a ward

Its a lot to think about, we have children and a dog and its hard to keep a clear path.

I know a couple of people in BC and Toronto, but having looked at NS, I am quite impressed. We plan to visit next year and get our application in.

The people on this site are a great resource and nice bunch too.

It sounds like it could be quite straight forward for you guys.
Old Aug 26th 2009, 9:05 pm

Cassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond repute

o/ Everyone

I can't help you with the fair question but I would like to give you a big welcome to BE.

This site has some much useful information, I would be lost without it
Old Aug 27th 2009, 7:47 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by hobbitess
We are looking at Annapolis Royal, Wolfville, Lunenberg areas. I work in NHS and work in Nursing but would like to go back to being on a ward

Its a lot to think about, we have children and a dog and its hard to keep a clear path.

I know a couple of people in BC and Toronto, but having looked at NS, I am quite impressed. We plan to visit next year and get our application in.

The people on this site are a great resource and nice bunch too.

It sounds like it could be quite straight forward for you guys.
Hehe Sounds Quite Straight forward...

We've decided to wait until next year and see the emigration fair in London, and see whats what. Thanks to everyone who replied, and pointed us in the right direction (Would reply via messages, but can't until I've replied on the forum 3 times)..

We've also got a Dog (2 year old Black Lab) so was glad to know he would be allowed in after getting all his documents sorted and all. The three of us will become 4 early next year, so thats another big factor. But, as I said -We'll keep looking, and hopefully the (more local) fair next year will be our first step to making contacts, and asking the 1 million and 1 questions we have right now

I do have one question though - When people head over for their Recce, do they only specifically head to the location they want to live? Or would it be better expand our horizons? Less time spent in their "wanted" location, but a more overall view of life over there?
Old Aug 28th 2009, 10:44 am
Forum Regular

My own opinion would be to target an area, particularly bearing in mind with ankle biters and finances. You can gather a fair bit of info, statistics, industry, employment etc from forums and net. And you will know what you like, we have young kids and a Springer, so its outdoors with the options of a city kick if you want it. And do-able flight times for the pixies!

So for us NS is easy to explore, economically good and the right envirnment, coastal and not crowded.

Old Sep 4th 2009, 7:15 pm
Immigration Consultant

Paul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for all the replies guys

This is what is worrying us. Liverpool is a long distance from us, and for it to be a waste of time would be more than dissapointing to be honest. We've had some contact from Amy at Paul Wildy (thank you for that) so that is one good thing about heading up there. It all depends on whether we wait for another closer one, or bite the bullet so to speak.

We're currently looking at the Halifax area. The company my Wife works for has a branch there (IMP / Westlands), meaning she could apply for an inter-company move, which would hopefully mean We could go over on her Visa, and I'd have to find work (Currently an Aircraft Enginner in the Navy, so hopefully that would open a few avenues..I know alot of ex RN engineers who moved to Halifax over the past few years).

But, it's early days. I've read alot of the blogs from people who have moved, and alot decide against their "first choice" alot of the time...so we'll just have to wait and see..

Where abouts are you guys looking at?
If Liverpool is too far I'm running a seminar on October 3rd near Heathrow airport. I know its not a "show" but I will be covering all the main immigration routes and job hunting advice etc. Hope you can make it.
Old Sep 5th 2009, 3:25 am
BE Enthusiast

pinzo is a splendid one to beholdpinzo is a splendid one to beholdpinzo is a splendid one to beholdpinzo is a splendid one to beholdpinzo is a splendid one to beholdpinzo is a splendid one to beholdpinzo is a splendid one to beholdpinzo is a splendid one to beholdpinzo is a splendid one to beholdpinzo is a splendid one to beholdpinzo is a splendid one to behold

Not that this is related to emmigration fairs....
You should also subscribe to the MuchMor Magazine. Its free (at least it was when I signed up, and I still receive the monthly newletters online)
It has lots of interesting articles and since its free, why not?! It might help answer some of your questions.

Go to http://www.muchmormagazine.com/

I was always put off going to the emmigrate fairs, there were always huge queues, never much info on Canada, and most people who went to them never got much out of them. I chose not to go and used forums like this to source out the information I needed.

Best of luck
Old Sep 9th 2009, 9:49 pm
Home Sweet Home

Biiba has much to be proud ofBiiba has much to be proud ofBiiba has much to be proud ofBiiba has much to be proud ofBiiba has much to be proud ofBiiba has much to be proud ofBiiba has much to be proud ofBiiba has much to be proud ofBiiba has much to be proud ofBiiba has much to be proud ofBiiba has much to be proud of
Smile Re: New to Forum & After Information about Emirgration Fairs!

o/ Everyone

Hi there, welcome to the forum

there's an emigrate show on in Coventry on 3rd and 4th October. There will be a stand there from CoRDA (Colchester County Regional Development Agency) in Nova Scotia. A lady called Margot Begin-Gillis helped us on our way to Nova Scotia and she will be there representing CoRDA and Nova Scotia. She is lovely and very knowledgeable and is definitely worth having a chat with if you are interested in Nova Scotia.

Good Luck!
Old Sep 15th 2009, 3:11 pm
Banned

debsm is an unknown quantity at this point

I had a look on the emigrate2.co.uk web-site and think I'll go along to Coventry again, I went to one of the Emigrate Shows and found it really helpful.

My advice is to speak to as many people as you can to get the most out of the day and go to the presentations.

Last time I went I subscribed to Emigrate Magazine and it's really good to get monthly updates on whats happening in Canada, processing times etc.

I hope you find what you are looking for at the show, good luck with it!