Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Good cities to live in Ontario?

Good cities to live in Ontario?

Old Aug 26th 2009, 10:31 pm
Forum Regular

sparkling_gal has much to be proud ofsparkling_gal has much to be proud ofsparkling_gal has much to be proud ofsparkling_gal has much to be proud ofsparkling_gal has much to be proud ofsparkling_gal has much to be proud ofsparkling_gal has much to be proud ofsparkling_gal has much to be proud ofsparkling_gal has much to be proud ofsparkling_gal has much to be proud ofsparkling_gal has much to be proud of
Default Good cities to live in Ontario?

Hi - I've been lurking on here for over 18 months. We were considering Australia, Canada, or USA. We wasted a lot of time, because a promised USA job, through my husband's employer, didn't happen.

We've decided to try for Canada with OH on a student visa (he wants to study anyway), as I can get an open work permit while he studies and apply for PR while we're there. But trying to pick an area is a bit of a nightmare. We come from a small village but now the kids are teenagers, we'd really like to move somewhere with a bit more going on.

But Toronto is a long commute from reasonably priced areas to live. Kitchener-Waterloo and Guelph look like they might be right for us and there's a college nearby that runs the course OH wants to take. Does anyone know anything about those areas? Are they safe and clean, with plenty to do for teenagers, still at school?

Also, is there anywhere else worth considering? We'd prefer to be within 2 hours of an international airport. We may get the chance to go out and look round before OH has to apply for college but it would be good to know where we should be looking. Thanks.
Old Aug 26th 2009, 11:57 pm

AmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Good cities to live in Ontario?

Originally Posted by sparkling_gal
Hi - I've been lurking on here for over 18 months. We were considering Australia, Canada, or USA. We wasted a lot of time, because a promised USA job, through my husband's employer, didn't happen.

We've decided to try for Canada with OH on a student visa (he wants to study anyway), as I can get an open work permit while he studies and apply for PR while we're there. But trying to pick an area is a bit of a nightmare. We come from a small village but now the kids are teenagers, we'd really like to move somewhere with a bit more going on.

But Toronto is a long commute from reasonably priced areas to live. Kitchener-Waterloo and Guelph look like they might be right for us and there's a college nearby that runs the course OH wants to take. Does anyone know anything about those areas? Are they safe and clean, with plenty to do for teenagers, still at school?

Also, is there anywhere else worth considering? We'd prefer to be within 2 hours of an international airport. We may get the chance to go out and look round before OH has to apply for college but it would be good to know where we should be looking. Thanks.
Have you looked at Barrie and Orillia?
Old Aug 27th 2009, 12:15 am
Banned

Auld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AmyDavid
Have you looked at Barrie and Orillia?
Are you and dbd33 a team act? You set them up and he delivers the punch lines? If he reads your post he'll be all over it like a rash. HE thinks Barrie is a dump and I doubt he has a higher opinion of Orillia.
Old Aug 27th 2009, 12:17 am
Forum Regular

sparkling_gal has much to be proud ofsparkling_gal has much to be proud ofsparkling_gal has much to be proud ofsparkling_gal has much to be proud ofsparkling_gal has much to be proud ofsparkling_gal has much to be proud ofsparkling_gal has much to be proud ofsparkling_gal has much to be proud ofsparkling_gal has much to be proud ofsparkling_gal has much to be proud ofsparkling_gal has much to be proud of

Hi Amy - I've just been having a look at Barrie. It seems really nice and property prices are low. They run the course my husband wants to take at the Orillia campus. How would the roads be for driving from Barrie to Orillia in the winter months?
Old Aug 27th 2009, 12:19 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Auld Yin
Are you and dbd33 a team act? You set them up and he delivers the punch lines? If he reads your post he'll be all over it like a rash. HE thinks Barrie is a dump and I doubt he has a higher opinion of Orillia.
LOL - I've read his posts. It was some of the things he said that put me off the suburbs a bit.
Old Aug 27th 2009, 12:21 am

AmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond repute

So? I happen to like both of them. If we all liked the same places, somewhere would be super busy and the rest of the places would be...well not so busy..:0)
Old Aug 27th 2009, 12:22 am

Hi Amy - I've just been having a look at Barrie. It seems really nice and property prices are low. They run the course my husband wants to take at the Orillia campus. How would the roads be for driving from Barrie to Orillia in the winter months?
To be honest I am not sure - I haven't been up there in the Winter months. Hoepfully someone who knows a bit more about the area will be along to help you out :0)
Old Aug 27th 2009, 1:53 am
Banned

Auld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AmyDavid
So? I happen to like both of them. If we all liked the same places, somewhere would be super busy and the rest of the places would be...well not so busy..:0)
Actually I quite like them both also. I think his comments are somewhat over the top, but he's entitled to his opinion.

The drive between Barrie and Orillia could be a problem some days of the winter. If the weather is extremely snowy it could be a high risk venture. There's a chance that the college could be closed on very bad weather days.
Old Aug 27th 2009, 3:00 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Actually I quite like them both also. I think his comments are somewhat over the top, but he's entitled to his opinion.

The drive between Barrie and Orillia could be a problem some days of the winter. If the weather is extremely snowy it could be a high risk venture. There's a chance that the college could be closed on very bad weather days.
I know someone who does that commute. She's looking to move though due to not liking Barrie, "a shithole", but not to Orillia, "out of the frying pan". She's from Orangeville, a pleasant enough but not exciting town. Of the places mentioned so far Guelph is easily the most attractive option and has a reasonably prestigious university which the others don't.
Old Aug 27th 2009, 3:16 am
BE Enthusiast

pinzo is a splendid one to beholdpinzo is a splendid one to beholdpinzo is a splendid one to beholdpinzo is a splendid one to beholdpinzo is a splendid one to beholdpinzo is a splendid one to beholdpinzo is a splendid one to beholdpinzo is a splendid one to beholdpinzo is a splendid one to beholdpinzo is a splendid one to beholdpinzo is a splendid one to behold

If you want to study how about places near McMaster Uni or Sheridan College? I've done a course at McMaster at the Continuing Education part of it, and it was well organized. Good variety of courses.

Burlington is close to both but a bigger city and maybe a bit pricey but there are smaller pockets not far from there which have nice little towns. All of which are reasonably close to TO airport.
Old Aug 27th 2009, 4:50 am
Forum Regular

Deva is a glorious beacon of lightDeva is a glorious beacon of lightDeva is a glorious beacon of lightDeva is a glorious beacon of lightDeva is a glorious beacon of lightDeva is a glorious beacon of lightDeva is a glorious beacon of lightDeva is a glorious beacon of lightDeva is a glorious beacon of lightDeva is a glorious beacon of lightDeva is a glorious beacon of light

How about Ottawa?

Pretty safe and clean, good housing options, some decent universities and colleges, plenty for you and your kids to do throughout the year. There are limited international options from the airport (London, Frankfurt, US cities, Caribbean) but Montreal airport is only 2 hours away by car or train and there are many daily flights to Toronto.
Old Aug 27th 2009, 10:25 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks everyone. I wonder how easy it is to get work in the Guelph/Waterloo/Kitchener area, to save commuting?

I do like the look of Burlington but the nearest campus that offers the course he's thinking of studying would be a 40 minute commute each way.

And Ottawa does look nice but we're not bilingual and I wonder if that may go against us?
Old Aug 27th 2009, 10:48 pm
Forum Regular

Deva is a glorious beacon of lightDeva is a glorious beacon of lightDeva is a glorious beacon of lightDeva is a glorious beacon of lightDeva is a glorious beacon of lightDeva is a glorious beacon of lightDeva is a glorious beacon of lightDeva is a glorious beacon of lightDeva is a glorious beacon of lightDeva is a glorious beacon of lightDeva is a glorious beacon of light

And Ottawa does look nice but we're not bilingual and I wonder if that may go against us?
Against you in what way? Finding work? If you want to work for the federal government a degree of bilingualism is required in many positions, especially in middle/upper management. In the private sector it is not so relevant.

Don't forget that Ottawa has a population of over 800,000. If you are looking at Guelph etc and do not want to commute far I am sure your prospects would be as good or better in Ottawa. What type of work do you do?
Old Aug 27th 2009, 11:16 pm
Forum Regular

Hi Deva - Thanks. I'm in general management - but I'm thinking about studying a bit, as it might be useful if I specialized. Or I may start a business after a little while - I don't have a definite plan yet.
Old Aug 28th 2009, 2:15 am
BE Enthusiast

Largo has a reputation beyond reputeLargo has a reputation beyond reputeLargo has a reputation beyond reputeLargo has a reputation beyond reputeLargo has a reputation beyond reputeLargo has a reputation beyond reputeLargo has a reputation beyond reputeLargo has a reputation beyond reputeLargo has a reputation beyond reputeLargo has a reputation beyond reputeLargo has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,
I live just north of Guelph. the university has a good reputation, and the city is very pleasant and has many amenities.
I also live near Waterloo, which also has a univerity..
Both , I believe, are good places to live, but I have not lived in either. I visit Guelph more than Waterloo. I can find almost everything I need, in my home town , but Guelph is my back up,for what I can not find there. That beiing said, I have had little need to visit either Guelph, or Waterloo on a regular basis. My needs are very basic.
If I had to choose, I would go to Guelph. Personal opinion, only.!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.