Reload this Page >

New IT Contractor in Toronto

New IT Contractor in Toronto

Old Jul 31st 2007, 2:59 pm
Just Joined

richard_m is an unknown quantity at this point
Default New IT Contractor in Toronto

Hi Guys

I am moving to Toronto later next month on a temporary Visa for a year to start a 2 year IT contract (I plan to extend my visa over there either on the strength of the 2nd year or by my Canadian Partner).

My question is - does anyone know the best way to setup a company for IT contracts - is is best to get Incororated or to become a Sole Proprietor. I will be getting paid through a IT Employment Agency, but if they pay me direct, I will lose on on tax advantages etc.

Also .. is there such a thing as an Umbrella Company in Canada - so I get paid through them and they take care of the tax etc. I haven't been able to find such a thing in Canada from a Google search - maybe they are called something else (if they exist at all)?

Any help you can provide is very much appreciated!
Thanks!!
Richard
Old Jul 31st 2007, 3:23 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: New IT Contractor in Toronto

Originally Posted by richard_m
Hi Guys

I am moving to Toronto later next month on a temporary Visa for a year to start a 2 year IT contract (I plan to extend my visa over there either on the strength of the 2nd year or by my Canadian Partner).

My question is - does anyone know the best way to setup a company for IT contracts - is is best to get Incororated or to become a Sole Proprietor. I will be getting paid through a IT Employment Agency, but if they pay me direct, I will lose on on tax advantages etc.

Also .. is there such a thing as an Umbrella Company in Canada - so I get paid through them and they take care of the tax etc. I haven't been able to find such a thing in Canada from a Google search - maybe they are called something else (if they exist at all)?

Thanks!!
Richard
The easiest thing to do is incorporate a number company. That is, you don't register a name but take the next free number, that saves having to pay for searches. This is common practise, trucks often say on the side XYZ Trucking, a division of 123456789 Ontario Inc. You can use any tradestyle not registered by someone else but have no claim on it. My first company bank account was in the name nnnnnnnnn Ont. Inc o/a dbd consulting but now I don't bother, I have cheques written to the numbered company directly.

The cost of setting up is about $800, you can get a kit of forms from stationery suppliers such as Staples or you can pay an accountant to do it.
There are some annual fees and filing requirements and there'll be a cost to wind the firm up. You have to do it though, in the eyes of the taxman two years working for the same pimp makes you an employee of that pimp, the numbered company provides a tax avoidance shield for the employee and protection for the employer from liability for various employer's costs and obligations.
Old Jul 31st 2007, 7:54 pm
Forum Regular

Platinum979 is a name known to allPlatinum979 is a name known to allPlatinum979 is a name known to allPlatinum979 is a name known to allPlatinum979 is a name known to allPlatinum979 is a name known to allPlatinum979 is a name known to allPlatinum979 is a name known to allPlatinum979 is a name known to allPlatinum979 is a name known to allPlatinum979 is a name known to all
Smile Re: New IT Contractor in Toronto

Hi Guys

Thanks!!
Richard
Hey Richard,

Do you know any good UK/CA IT Recruitment companys in T.O Canada?
I'm currently contracting in London, England as a 2nd/3rd Line Support Engineer.

Thanks!

P979
Old Aug 1st 2007, 2:18 am
ck1
Forum Regular

ck1 has a spectacular aura aboutck1 has a spectacular aura aboutck1 has a spectacular aura about

Richard, as far as I know Umbrella companies don't exist here...and I agree with the other post that becoming 'incorporated' (eg, setting up a Ltd co) is easy and worth while due to tax advantages etc.
Old Aug 1st 2007, 10:48 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by dbd33
The easiest thing to do is incorporate a number company. That is, you don't register a name but take the next free number, that saves having to pay for searches. This is common practise, trucks often say on the side XYZ Trucking, a division of 123456789 Ontario Inc. You can use any tradestyle not registered by someone else but have no claim on it. My first company bank account was in the name nnnnnnnnn Ont. Inc o/a dbd consulting but now I don't bother, I have cheques written to the numbered company directly.

The cost of setting up is about $800, you can get a kit of forms from stationery suppliers such as Staples or you can pay an accountant to do it.
There are some annual fees and filing requirements and there'll be a cost to wind the firm up. You have to do it though, in the eyes of the taxman two years working for the same pimp makes you an employee of that pimp, the numbered company provides a tax avoidance shield for the employee and protection for the employer from liability for various employer's costs and obligations.
Thanks for the info!!...

do you know if there are any issues with setting up a corporation as a non-Canadian citizen ?

Also do you know if there are any differences to the Staples offering (as you say cost $800) and this online version I found today -->

http://strategis.ic.gc.ca/cgi-bin/sc...ter.cgi?lang=e

Which I believe only costs about $200 - $300 . (Sorry its the Scottish in me which must save cash (every pounds a prisoner!!))

Thanks again!!
Old Aug 1st 2007, 10:58 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Platinum979
Hey Richard,

Do you know any good UK/CA IT Recruitment companys in T.O Canada?
I'm currently contracting in London, England as a 2nd/3rd Line Support Engineer.

Thanks!

P979
Hi P979

I have found it quite hard to get even a response from most agencies who are recruiting for jobs I could do standing on my head...
I'm sure you know by now, its who you know more than what you know that gets you the foot in the door... So my best advice is to get every man who knows a man in the city of your choice to ask around.

The agency I found the best in Toronto is http://www.tes.net/

Best of luck mate !
Old Aug 1st 2007, 3:01 pm
Forum Regular

Platinum979 is a name known to allPlatinum979 is a name known to allPlatinum979 is a name known to allPlatinum979 is a name known to allPlatinum979 is a name known to allPlatinum979 is a name known to allPlatinum979 is a name known to allPlatinum979 is a name known to allPlatinum979 is a name known to allPlatinum979 is a name known to allPlatinum979 is a name known to all

Thanks for the info!!...

do you know if there are any issues with setting up a corporation as a non-Canadian citizen ?

Also do you know if there are any differences to the Staples offering (as you say cost $800) and this online version I found today -->

Which I believe only costs about $200 - $300 . (Sorry its the Scottish in me which must save cash (every pounds a prisoner!!))

Thanks again!!

Cheers mate... Thanks for the info! All the best in Canada!
P979
Old Aug 1st 2007, 3:08 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the info!!...

There weren't when I did it though that was yonks ago. There was a requirement to be somehow resident but I don't know the nuances.

Also do you know if there are any differences to the Staples offering (as you say cost $800) and this online version I found today --

Thanks again!!
$800 was my recollection of the "all in" cost. I'd expect the kit to be less than a hundred but then there are a bunch of registration and filing fees.

btw, when you open a company account the bank will ask for the original incorporation documents; let them take a copy but don't let them keep the original, you may need it again.
Old Aug 1st 2007, 4:07 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by dbd33
There weren't when I did it though that was yonks ago. There was a requirement to be somehow resident but I don't know the nuances.

$800 was my recollection of the "all in" cost. I'd expect the kit to be less than a hundred but then there are a bunch of registration and filing fees.

btw, when you open a company account the bank will ask for the original incorporation documents; let them take a copy but don't let them keep the original, you may need it again.
Thanks for the advice... what about Company Accounts, any particular bank you have found to be the best? Your advice, will sway me in choosing my personal current account

Cheers
Old Aug 1st 2007, 4:18 pm
Assimilated Pauper

Thanks for the advice... what about Company Accounts, any particular bank you have found to be the best? Your advice, will sway me in choosing my personal current account

Cheers
My company accounts are with the TD. I can't move them because I gave the TD the original incorporation papers and they lost them "you can't expect us to retain documents more than a year or so, branches merge, we buy more banks, things do get lost". Note that I can't even move the accounts to another branch of the TD without the incorporation papers. My personal accounts are with pc financial, alas they don't do company ones.

If I were doing it again I'd put the company one at the branch of a major bank most easily accessed over the long term, perhaps the RBC opposite Union Station, and the personal accounts with pcfinancial. Note that the major banks are not good at dealing with customers, especially corporate customers, at any branch other than the home one. pc financial, at the other extreme, doesn't have branches.