Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

This networking thingy in Toronto

This networking thingy in Toronto

Old Aug 23rd 2011, 1:40 pm
Éireann go Brách

Londonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond repute
Default This networking thingy in Toronto

Is it all networking to get a job? There appears to be tons of work but getting no replies to applications. Really friggin annoying!
Old Aug 23rd 2011, 1:47 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: This networking thingy in Toronto

Originally Posted by Londonuck
Is it all networking to get a job? There appears to be tons of work but getting no replies to applications. Really friggin annoying!
I think that's largely true. One needs to meet people in one's line of business in a social setting and build on that. In our business, computing, a way forward is to find people who do similar work and get them into a pub. I know that's also true for some building trades. Alas, it's not quick.
Old Aug 23rd 2011, 2:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

TheBear has a reputation beyond reputeTheBear has a reputation beyond reputeTheBear has a reputation beyond reputeTheBear has a reputation beyond reputeTheBear has a reputation beyond reputeTheBear has a reputation beyond reputeTheBear has a reputation beyond reputeTheBear has a reputation beyond reputeTheBear has a reputation beyond reputeTheBear has a reputation beyond reputeTheBear has a reputation beyond repute

The only way I got a job was to find a manager who was an immigrant himself and less likely to be biased towards Canadians (his last hire before me was an Aussie!)
Old Aug 23rd 2011, 2:09 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TheBear
The only way I got a job was to find a manager who was an immigrant himself and less likely to be biased towards Canadians (his last hire before me was an Aussie!)

I can say categorically that there's no bias toward Canadians where I am now. I don't think I've ever worked in a place in Canada where there was a bias toward Canadians. Documented ethnic quotas, yes, preference for aboriginal Canadians, yes, personal prejudices made part of the hiring practise, yes, but bias toward Canadians, not in this business.
Old Aug 23rd 2011, 2:47 pm

ireland2canada is an unknown quantity at this point

I have now had four jobs in Canada.

One was gained through 'networking', the rest through applying to ads.

One on Workopolis, one on Craigslist and one through an agency.

The moral of the story is....right time, right place, right job, and a bit of luck.
Old Aug 23rd 2011, 3:10 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

That's the way it is in Canada, accept it, it is not going to change. Don't rely on one application, just keep sending them in. There seems to be some misconception of a bias toward Canadians when hiring, something I have never noticed in all the time I have been in country.

On your side of the coin one job may mean a lot, from the employer, you may be one of hundreds of applicants who get sifted through. Employers just want to fill a job, find the best applicant they can in the easiest and quickest way possible.

Building a network is not too hard, joining local clubs, churches, self help groups like Toastmasters, trade associations, building a social network, any of these can help get a job. One of my more fun jobs I got through something totally unrelated to my industry.

Last edited by Aviator; Aug 23rd 2011 at 3:13 pm.
Old Aug 23rd 2011, 3:21 pm
Slob

Souvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Aviator
That's the way it is in Canada, accept it, it is not going to change. Don't rely on one application, just keep sending them in. There seems to be some misconception of a bias toward Canadians when hiring, something I have never noticed in all the time I have been in country.

On your side of the coin one job may mean a lot, from the employer, you may be one of hundreds of applicants who get sifted through. Employers just want to fill a job, find the best applicant they can in the easiest and quickest way possible.

Building a network is not too hard, joining local clubs, churches, self help groups like Toastmasters, trade associations, building a social network, any of these can help get a job. One of my more fun jobs I got through something totally unrelated to my industry.
Come off it. You were an airline pilot. That's like being a driller or geologist. Qualifications and experience are the only things that matter.
Old Aug 23rd 2011, 3:30 pm
Éireann go Brách

Londonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ireland2canada
The moral of the story is....right time, right place, right job, and a bit of luck.
Yep.

Also, not what you know...

Only took 3 weeks in Vancouver in 98... and it was bordering on impossible then.

Right, chin up, is it beer time yet?
Old Aug 23rd 2011, 4:14 pm
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute

Keep plugging away- bear in mind it is Labour Day soon and people should be more focused on work after that. My office has been like a Country Club since late July. I don't think much get's done in August at all.

We are hiring for 4 or 5 positions but I know that they have not reached out to anybody yet despite telling us they were hiring in late July.

It might be worth following up on some of your earlier summer apps in September.

If you are in Finance or a Developer personal message me. As long as you have the legal right to work in Canada I can try and help you out. I am desperately short of quality drinking buddys at my place. The last office party the CEO and myself bought 40 odd can's of beer and all the cradle's left it to me to drink..............

Last edited by JamesM; Aug 23rd 2011 at 4:17 pm.
Old Aug 23rd 2011, 4:44 pm

lmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond repute

Did someone mention beer and Toronto?
Old Aug 23rd 2011, 5:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

CanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TheBear
I've encountered the same thing, my prospective employer (LMO is still processing) is an immigrant from Hong Kong.

You might also want to take a look at your resume. If it's presented well you'll get calls.
Old Aug 23rd 2011, 7:49 pm
slanderer of the innocent

ExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Aviator
That's the way it is in Canada, accept it, it is not going to change. Don't rely on one application, just keep sending them in. There seems to be some misconception of a bias toward Canadians when hiring, something I have never noticed in all the time I have been in country.On your side of the coin one job may mean a lot, from the employer, you may be one of hundreds of applicants who get sifted through. Employers just want to fill a job, find the best applicant they can in the easiest and quickest way possible.

I agree. I've been hired many times and no one gave a crap whether I was canadian or not, only that I had the right to work in Canada.
Old Aug 23rd 2011, 8:13 pm
Forum Regular

justme31170 is just really nicejustme31170 is just really nicejustme31170 is just really nicejustme31170 is just really nicejustme31170 is just really nicejustme31170 is just really nicejustme31170 is just really nicejustme31170 is just really nice

I know how you feel, but keep positive. Its the only way your gonna get through. We have sent out about 40 resume's and received 4 replies, but 4 is better than none so keep plugging away and someday someone will reply.

Good luck!
Old Aug 23rd 2011, 8:19 pm
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kiwilass
I agree. I've been hired many times and no one gave a crap whether I was canadian or not, only that I had the right to work in Canada.
You're right. I wonder if people sending resume's are including the text "I'M NOT A CANADIAN" at the top.

My resume has no indication of my nationality or the countries of my previous employment.
Old Aug 23rd 2011, 9:45 pm
slanderer of the innocent

ExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by el_richo
You're right. I wonder if people sending resume's are including the text "I'M NOT A CANADIAN" at the top.

My resume has no indication of my nationality or the countries of my previous employment.
mine has a bit, so as a result I've got the are you staying here longterm or are you just on a working holiday visa question...which is funny cos I'm pretty old...but that's the only thing I've experienced.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.