Networking...

Old May 22nd 2009, 8:59 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Networking...

Originally Posted by Alan2005
Still not seen anything that I would say is uniquely Canadian here tho - at least in my experience. Maybe this is because I have only been recruited by small companies in the UK where the kind of thing you describe went on all the time.
In the SME private sector, most of the time "letting it be known" that you are looking to hire is still usually the first step in the recruitment process. It makes sense because employing someone who has been recommended by a trusted colleague is going to have a much better chance of success (and be much more cost effective) than relying on your skills as an interviewer and employing strangers.

I agree it is not uniquely Canadian, but it is still very widespread here. Networking is still an important part of the job hunting process. I would go further and say that it is an important part of your professional life and should not be restricted to times you want something.

With the advent of craig's list and other sites that offer free adverts, advertising is becoming more common at the start of the recruitment process, rather than a last resort. It may bring a wider pool of people to the employer's notice, but a recommendation is still more likely to secure a job than a strong resume.
Old May 22nd 2009, 9:30 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JonboyE
In the SME private sector, most of the time "letting it be known" that you are looking to hire is still usually the first step in the recruitment process. It makes sense because employing someone who has been recommended by a trusted colleague is going to have a much better chance of success (and be much more cost effective) than relying on your skills as an interviewer and employing strangers.

I agree it is not uniquely Canadian, but it is still very widespread here. Networking is still an important part of the job hunting process. I would go further and say that it is an important part of your professional life and should not be restricted to times you want something.

With the advent of craig's list and other sites that offer free adverts, advertising is becoming more common at the start of the recruitment process, rather than a last resort. It may bring a wider pool of people to the employer's notice, but a recommendation is still more likely to secure a job than a strong resume.
Can't argue with any of that.

Asked a few people at work how they found their current job - all said they were recruited using recruitment consultants. But then again, there is enough anecdotal evidence here to suggest that networking can be useful to get your foot in the door. I do wonder how new immigrants go about this though - do you just ring up some random manager at telus (say) to see if they want to go for a pint?
Old May 23rd 2009, 8:46 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Souvenir
Networking is king in the federal government. If someone has been green-flagged by an existing employee of a department, job ads and specs get doctored even more than they usually are.

Yes it is, my sister in law got in cause her dad works for the federal gov't and no other reason, she for sure did not have the education or training for it. But they molded the requirements to fit her resume, and this is dont on a pretty frequent basis, they will mold the requirements to the person who they want in that position.

But everyone who works there knows someone who works there.

Unless you know someone, I'd say dont waste too much time on government postings.

Networking is good for those who know people, not so useful for those like me who dont know anyone, or those they do know dont do the networking thing.

Last edited by scrubbedexpat091; May 23rd 2009 at 8:50 pm.
Old May 23rd 2009, 9:23 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
Networking is good for those who know people, not so useful for those like me who dont know anyone, or those they do know dont do the networking thing.
I dunno about that. I don't hire a lot of people, fifteen or twenty over the past ten years and I don't overtly "network" but they've all been people I've met in a work related context other than directly recruiting. Two examples:

email arrives "I post as xyz on the abc technical forum. As a user of that forum you know that I have strong expertise in technobabble, do you have need of my kind of technobabble?" I did know him, sensible posts over a long period. We did that expertise. We got an LMO and imported him.

I'm on an assignment out of town. I'm shooting eight ball with a bunch of employees of the client. One says "I ****ing hate it here". I knew his skills so I responded "come and hate Toronto then". We paid a fee to his employer and brought him here.

I don't think networking in the sense of standing around a golf club looking needy works but making an effort to meet lots of people in your line of work does. I suggest attending lots of relevant conferences and, if you don't already, make the effort to take up smoking.
Old May 23rd 2009, 9:54 pm
Pictou County Superstarâ„¢

Greenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond repute

I have to say, when I used to smoke, I had no problem getting well-paid jobs and attention from attractive women.

Then I realised I smelled pretty bad and my gums bled randomly. So I decided to give up.

During the transition from smoker to non-smoker, I lost the 911 cabriolet, the house, the business and the attention from attractive women.

I hope this helps.

Originally Posted by dbd33
I suggest attending lots of relevant conferences and, if you don't already, make the effort to take up smoking.
Old May 23rd 2009, 9:58 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
I dunno about that. I don't hire a lot of people, fifteen or twenty over the past ten years and I don't overtly "network" but they've all been people I've met in a work related context other than directly recruiting. Two examples:

email arrives "I post as xyz on the abc technical forum. As a user of that forum you know that I have strong expertise in technobabble, do you have need of my kind of technobabble?" I did know him, sensible posts over a long period. We did that expertise. We got an LMO and imported him.

I'm on an assignment out of town. I'm shooting eight ball with a bunch of employees of the client. One says "I ****ing hate it here". I knew his skills so I responded "come and hate Toronto then". We paid a fee to his employer and brought him here.

I don't think networking in the sense of standing around a golf club looking needy works but making an effort to meet lots of people in your line of work does. I suggest attending lots of relevant conferences and, if you don't already, make the effort to take up smoking.

My problem is I dont have a line of work...

I just take whatever comes along.
Old May 23rd 2009, 10:03 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Greenhill
I have to say, when I used to smoke, I had no problem getting well-paid jobs and attention from attractive women.

Then I realised I smelled pretty bad and my gums bled randomly. So I decided to give up.

During the transition from smoker to non-smoker, I lost the 911 cabriolet, the house, the business and the attention from attractive women.

I hope this helps.
Since I haven't been smoking I've lost the Mustang convertible and the house in the Beach. I've acquired a donkey.

I still hang around ashtrays at conferences and try to strike up conversations but it doesn't work so well if you're just posing.