Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Nervous Brit with job offer to Vancouver, BC- Advice and friends needed. x

Nervous Brit with job offer to Vancouver, BC- Advice and friends needed. x

Old Feb 11th 2008, 3:24 am
Banned

Surrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Nervous Brit with job offer to Vancouver, BC- Advice and friends needed. x

Originally Posted by Rich_007
You must be a hoot to work with.
I pay the wages, so I guess it doesn't matter, but my staff think so.

Last edited by Surrey Expat; Feb 11th 2008 at 3:32 am.
Old Feb 11th 2008, 4:21 am
Lotus-eater

Rich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Nervous Brit with job offer to Vancouver, BC- Advice and friends needed. x

Originally Posted by Surrey Expat
I pay the wages, so I guess it doesn't matter, but my staff think so.
In your own mind, sure
Old Feb 11th 2008, 1:38 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by stevebarry
Employers talking Provincial nomination route, but wages offered seem the norm so not sure switiching employers would help anyway.

I think as you say 2 jobs would be necessary for survival, unless the $250 a week left after paying rent would stretch a long long way

Would love the opportunity to live in Canada, but wage v COL is not matching up.

Dratt
Have you considered other areas of Canada? From what I understand, Vancouver is the most expensive area. We originally discounted it for that reason - along with the weather which is pretty much the same as the UK - and I want to get away from non stop rain and grey skies! And because it's the furthest city from the UK so not as easy for people to come and visit.

My hubby would be on an advanced six figure salary, but even so we would have struggled to live well on it around Vancouver. So we are looking at other areas where it's soooo much cheaper and just beautiful. Hope that helps a bit and best of luck.
Old Feb 11th 2008, 2:06 pm
Forum Regular

Zap0ne has a reputation beyond reputeZap0ne has a reputation beyond reputeZap0ne has a reputation beyond reputeZap0ne has a reputation beyond reputeZap0ne has a reputation beyond reputeZap0ne has a reputation beyond reputeZap0ne has a reputation beyond reputeZap0ne has a reputation beyond reputeZap0ne has a reputation beyond reputeZap0ne has a reputation beyond reputeZap0ne has a reputation beyond repute

I had to do the test here in Ontario when I arrived and thought it was easy! I took the test in Kingston so that I did not have to take a test in the downtown Toronto madness.

I think that driving licenses can now be exchanged in Ontario... check out this link http://www.drivetest.ca/en/license/E...eciprocal.aspx But this does not seem to apply to British licenses in BC. so check with the Province or Territory before booking your test.

Last edited by Zap0ne; Feb 11th 2008 at 2:13 pm.
Old Apr 14th 2008, 5:10 am
Forum Regular

simeongb has a brilliant futuresimeongb has a brilliant futuresimeongb has a brilliant futuresimeongb has a brilliant futuresimeongb has a brilliant futuresimeongb has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by bexjade
Hi guys, i am completely new to all this and a little nervous if i must say so let me thank you in advance for any help and guidance given.. x

My partner and i are based in the West Midlands, Uk and seeing as my Partner is a senior roofer of 8 years, he as just been offered a 2 year work permit and guarenteed perm residency after that in Vancouver, BC which is great, and after attending a seminar in York next weekend we will know more: V serious about doing this however, big life style cange, means selling the house and leaving a very close knit of family and friends which i am sure that most people in this situation are in leaving loved ones behind etc...

So i have been putting my feelers out there, looking at these forums, researching life styles and cost of liiving etc.. and wondered if anyone had any advice??
His job is based in burnaby but apparently we can live anywhere close by, really would like some advice on nice areas/suburbs, after being put up in a hotel for a month we would look at renting a fully furnished place does anyone have any refrences for good property estate agents??

Also utilities??? What do you have to pay on top of rent is it like the uk? (maybe a dumb question but need to ask?!?)
So water, gas & electric, council tax, tv licence etc????? x
Cars: is it right that all brits have to re take their driving test?? If so im scared, been driving for nearly 8 years now and dont know how the bloody hell i have managed not to crash, so driving on the other side of the road is a little daunting?? How much are lessons etc and the maintence of a car, gas/petrol & insurance???

Guess my last one really is: (makes me sound sad at 24!!) are the people nice?? Been to the US no end of times and love the people, and i have family in Ontario, however like everyone else making such a big move, its nice to know that you have good mates around you, people to bounce off etc, so for a young couple what things are there to do???

Thank you again..

Bex
i came to vancouver 6 months ago , from job offer as a bricklayer in the Sun. i was really worried, but went ahead anyway. my family followed on a few months later, and have all settle well
regards Sim
Old Apr 20th 2008, 7:28 am
Just Joined

Stretty is an unknown quantity at this point

Bex
you only have one life - go for it and if it doesn't work out you can always go back to England. My family and I also left a large and very close family behind. The leaving bit is painful but the arriving in Canada was fantastic. Friendly people (in Kamloops), great scenery and all the other stuff that we wanted for our kids and that the UK couldn't deliver. Yes' it's scary, stressful and we miss our family and friends but wouldn't exchange it for anything. There was always something missing in the UK and we've found it here. New friends are there waiting to be made and our family is always there.
god luck
Stretty