Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

IT nerd looking for work in Saskatoon! Any pointers?

IT nerd looking for work in Saskatoon! Any pointers?

Old May 10th 2009, 8:11 am
Just Joined

JamieD81 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default IT nerd looking for work in Saskatoon! Any pointers?

Hey people of the forum...

So I finally got here and have been in Sasaktoon for just over a week now - ammusing question from immigration when i said thats where i was headed "why??"

aparently this wasnt a standard question to immigrants as explaining thats where my girlfriend lives got an "oooooh.... i did wonder why you would even know where that was" response.

So where i am now with this whole other country lark - job hunting...

Canada seems to be set up with a very different approach to job hunting - ive sent a lot of direct emails through companines ive found through countless classfied listings and local forums - there doesnt seem to be the centralised agency layout that i enjoyed in the UK.

Could any one point me in the right direction, any leads? any methods you may have found effective?

I have a good 6 years exp and a pretty good list of skills in support, server admin, end user type things.

Is it really all just about hopeful punts to compaines that look remotely technological?

Cheers!
Old May 10th 2009, 8:32 am
BE Forum Addict

MarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: IT nerd looking for work in Saskatoon! Any pointers?

There are a fair number of IT companies in Saskatoon, but it seems that many went on a hiring binge in the last year so they may not be looking for new staff right now; I know that the company where I work isn't hiring on the IT side for the moment, unless that's changed since I was sent to a customer site in Europe a few weeks ago.
Old May 10th 2009, 11:16 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: IT nerd looking for work in Saskatoon! Any pointers?

Originally Posted by JamieD81
Hey people of the forum...

So I finally got here and have been in Sasaktoon for just over a week now - ammusing question from immigration when i said thats where i was headed "why??"

aparently this wasnt a standard question to immigrants as explaining thats where my girlfriend lives got an "oooooh.... i did wonder why you would even know where that was" response.

So where i am now with this whole other country lark - job hunting...

Canada seems to be set up with a very different approach to job hunting - ive sent a lot of direct emails through companines ive found through countless classfied listings and local forums - there doesnt seem to be the centralised agency layout that i enjoyed in the UK.

Could any one point me in the right direction, any leads? any methods you may have found effective?

I have a good 6 years exp and a pretty good list of skills in support, server admin, end user type things.

Is it really all just about hopeful punts to compaines that look remotely technological?

Cheers!
Have you read the Job Hunting section of the Wiki (on blue bar at top of page)? If not, grab a cuppa and get reading as it's got loads of useful info in.