Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Need some advice - moving in with partner

Need some advice - moving in with partner

Old Apr 30th 2018, 1:45 am
Bex in the city

beckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Need some advice - moving in with partner

So I about to move in with my partner. He owns his place and I will not be put on the mortgage (when we buy a property together - if property prices ever improve!!!! then I will be on it).

Issue is about protection for both of us. I want his insurance policy to include my stuff and also it shows the date we entered into an agreement to become common law - I believe you are seen as common law after 6 months - not for immigration purposes as that’s no a issue here.

What would be the best way for both of us to have protection, obviously I’m not going to do a runner on him but I want our common law to look legitimate?

Do we need to draw up an agreement and go to a notary as BC tenancy doesn’t protect ‘roommates’ and that’s kind of mispresentation...

Thanks
Old Apr 30th 2018, 2:31 am

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Need some advice - moving in with partner

Originally Posted by beckiwoo
So I about to move in with my partner. He owns his place and I will not be put on the mortgage (when we buy a property together - if property prices ever improve!!!! then I will be on it).

Issue is about protection for both of us. I want his insurance policy to include my stuff and also it shows the date we entered into an agreement to become common law - I believe you are seen as common law after 6 months - not for immigration purposes as that’s no a issue here.

What would be the best way for both of us to have protection, obviously I’m not going to do a runner on him but I want our common law to look legitimate?

Do we need to draw up an agreement and go to a notary as BC tenancy doesn’t protect ‘roommates’ and that’s kind of mispresentation...

Thanks
Residential Tenancy Act only applies in a landlord/tenant relationship. Common law in BC rules outlined in this article Thinking about moving in together?: Family Law in BC
Old Apr 30th 2018, 2:52 am
Bex in the city

beckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Aviator
Residential Tenancy Act only applies in a landlord/tenant relationship. Common law in BC rules outlined in this article Thinking about moving in together?: Family Law in BC
Ok so there is no point in doing a bc tenancy agreement then
Old Apr 30th 2018, 3:39 am

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Ok so there is no point in doing a bc tenancy agreement then
If you are not a tenant and not renting cannot see why you would. You may (possibly both) want to seek legal advice if uncertain of the implications and have concerns.
Old Apr 30th 2018, 4:17 pm
Bex in the city

Thanks. I’ll talk to him about and see if can have some kind of agreement andget it notarized.

I’ll look into getting my own insurance for my stuff
Old Apr 30th 2018, 4:33 pm

Thanks. I’ll talk to him about and see if can have some kind of agreement andget it notarized.

I’ll look into getting my own insurance for my stuff
Unless there are items that need to be specified, if you are cohabiting, likely the homeowners policy will cover yours too. As you are not a tenant, renters insurance does not apply and contents on a homeowners policy is part of the building insurance. Best to talk to a broker about this.
Old Apr 30th 2018, 5:12 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

So I about to move in with my partner. He owns his place...
The place you're leaving...any good for Js?
Old Apr 30th 2018, 6:05 pm
Bex in the city

Originally Posted by Aviator
Unless there are items that need to be specified, if you are cohabiting, likely the homeowners policy will cover yours too. As you are not a tenant, renters insurance does not apply and contents on a homeowners policy is part of the building insurance. Best to talk to a broker about this.
Ok thanks. I think he was planning on going through his broker about updating this.
Old Apr 30th 2018, 6:09 pm
Bex in the city

Originally Posted by BristolUK
The place you're leaving...any good for Js?
It’s a tiny basement suite with very little light. It’s fine for one person but not two people.

I’ve loved living there as it's been my own space so I’m sorry to be leaving. (Never rented my own place without roommates before).

I was paying $770 a month but chances are the landlord will increase it after I leave.

One great thing was free parking - now because I’m going to be living downtown and the apartment building doesn’t have underground parking my monthly charges will be around $130-$175 a month.
Old Apr 30th 2018, 6:11 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

It’s a tiny basement suite with very little light. It’s fine for one person but not two people.

I’ve loved living there as it's been my own space so I’m sorry to be leaving. (Never rented my own place without roommates before).

I was paying $770 a month but chances are the landlord will increase it after I leave.

One great thing was free parking - now because I’m going to be living downtown and the apartment building doesn’t have underground parking my monthly charges will be around $130-$175 a month.
Hold onto your old place for a month or two, until you are sure the cohabiting is going to work out! It's always good to have options.

Old May 1st 2018, 2:17 am
Bex in the city

Originally Posted by Siouxie
Hold onto your old place for a month or two, until you are sure the cohabiting is going to work out! It's always good to have options.

Good advise for sure