Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Need A Job Now!

Need A Job Now!

Old Sep 25th 2006, 8:08 am
BE Enthusiast

Bsidebaby has much to be proud ofBsidebaby has much to be proud ofBsidebaby has much to be proud ofBsidebaby has much to be proud ofBsidebaby has much to be proud ofBsidebaby has much to be proud ofBsidebaby has much to be proud ofBsidebaby has much to be proud ofBsidebaby has much to be proud ofBsidebaby has much to be proud ofBsidebaby has much to be proud of
Default Need A Job Now!

The only thing worrying me about whole emigration thang is getting jobs.

I'm sure we wont have too much trouble but its the uncertainty at this stage as you sell up and leave everything secure behind that doubts set in.........

Are others here in the same boat - with no jobs to go to?
Old Sep 25th 2006, 8:11 am
Seasoned Maritimer

Tangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Need A Job Now!

Originally Posted by Bsidebaby

I'm sure we wont have too much trouble but its the uncertainty at this stage as you sell up and leave everything secure behind that doubts set in.........

Tut....you have a buyer and now whinging about jobs, some people want everything
Old Sep 25th 2006, 8:48 am
BE Enthusiast

Eastbound has much to be proud ofEastbound has much to be proud ofEastbound has much to be proud ofEastbound has much to be proud ofEastbound has much to be proud ofEastbound has much to be proud ofEastbound has much to be proud ofEastbound has much to be proud ofEastbound has much to be proud ofEastbound has much to be proud ofEastbound has much to be proud of

Hi
Were in the same situation up to a point with not having jobs but are of the opinion that we have been given a once in a lifetime oppurtunity and will make it work any way we can if we cant find any jobs then we will work for ourselves the idea is becoming more appealing as it means we can spend more time together
Just go with it it will work out
Old Sep 25th 2006, 9:03 am
Forum Regular

Mystic Kazza is just really niceMystic Kazza is just really niceMystic Kazza is just really niceMystic Kazza is just really niceMystic Kazza is just really niceMystic Kazza is just really niceMystic Kazza is just really niceMystic Kazza is just really niceMystic Kazza is just really nice

I`m leaving on wednesday with no job to go to go to either.
I`m either on a major high or a `crapping my pants` low, there doesn`t seem to be any half measures.

I agree with Eastbound that this is a once in a lifetime opportunity and we are prepared to just go along with it.
See how it all pans out and if you`re not happy in a couple of months then change the situation.

One we have learnt is that the less plans you have, the less things there are to go wrong, reckless maybe, but works for us.

Phil
Old Sep 25th 2006, 11:02 am
BE Enthusiast

getoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mystic Kazza
I`m leaving on wednesday with no job to go to go to either.
I`m either on a major high or a `crapping my pants` low, there doesn`t seem to be any half measures.

I agree with Eastbound that this is a once in a lifetime opportunity and we are prepared to just go along with it.
See how it all pans out and if you`re not happy in a couple of months then change the situation.

One we have learnt is that the less plans you have, the less things there are to go wrong, reckless maybe, but works for us.

Phil
I agree with Phil, we have PR, a job to go to, severance from UK company but have still not sold the house!
Crapping our pants we may have to go to Canada without UK house being sold which is a major headache. The more plans the more to go wrong! :scared:

Paul
Old Sep 25th 2006, 11:31 am
Bright light!!

Tiffin Tease has a reputation beyond reputeTiffin Tease has a reputation beyond reputeTiffin Tease has a reputation beyond reputeTiffin Tease has a reputation beyond reputeTiffin Tease has a reputation beyond reputeTiffin Tease has a reputation beyond reputeTiffin Tease has a reputation beyond reputeTiffin Tease has a reputation beyond reputeTiffin Tease has a reputation beyond reputeTiffin Tease has a reputation beyond reputeTiffin Tease has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by getoutofbritainquick
I agree with Phil, we have PR, a job to go to, severance from UK company but have still not sold the house!
Crapping our pants we may have to go to Canada without UK house being sold which is a major headache. The more plans the more to go wrong! :scared:

Paul
We are kind of half and half... hubby has job, I don't - i have tons of skills but have heard it's tough to get a job with no Canadian experience, however, nothing ventured nothing gained eh?? (let's hope I'm still as optimistic in a month or two LOL)

We haven't sold ours either and we are leaving it on until the end of October in the hopes it will, then we're renting it out and going to put it back on the market in Feb - bloody pain in the arse tho!!
Old Sep 25th 2006, 11:34 am
Bright light!!

Tiffin Tease has a reputation beyond reputeTiffin Tease has a reputation beyond reputeTiffin Tease has a reputation beyond reputeTiffin Tease has a reputation beyond reputeTiffin Tease has a reputation beyond reputeTiffin Tease has a reputation beyond reputeTiffin Tease has a reputation beyond reputeTiffin Tease has a reputation beyond reputeTiffin Tease has a reputation beyond reputeTiffin Tease has a reputation beyond reputeTiffin Tease has a reputation beyond repute

I'm with you there Phil!! And the other point about the once in a lifetime too....

Good luck to all on their way!!
Ki
Old Sep 25th 2006, 11:55 am
Forum Regular

silver birch has a brilliant futuresilver birch has a brilliant futuresilver birch has a brilliant futuresilver birch has a brilliant futuresilver birch has a brilliant futuresilver birch has a brilliant future

I have a job to go to, OH will hopefully get one once we are there and have settled the kids in. He took the opportunity on previous research trips to network and meet with recruitment consultants, who seemed confident that he would find work (although time will tell...).

If it were just the two of us (i.e. no kids) we would have gone without a job to go to without hesitation. As it is, with kids we made the decision not to risk the additional uncertainty and stress of going on PR without a job (plus without a job we would still have another 2 years to wait). There is enough uncertainty and stress to deal with, even having a job to go to :scared:

But that is our personal choice and circumstances. I wish you luck with yours
Old Sep 25th 2006, 1:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

getoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ki76
We are kind of half and half... hubby has job, I don't - i have tons of skills but have heard it's tough to get a job with no Canadian experience, however, nothing ventured nothing gained eh?? (let's hope I'm still as optimistic in a month or two LOL)

We haven't sold ours either and we are leaving it on until the end of October in the hopes it will, then we're renting it out and going to put it back on the market in Feb - bloody pain in the arse tho!!
A bit of advice you hear again and again. Network, network and network, try and find someone in your line of work to get to know. They are then usually very happy to forward your resume on to someone else. I had my resume posted on Monster for 3 years and not one call from Canada. A UK agency then kept pestering me for jobs in the UK having seen my resume on Monster. One day I asked the agency guy if he kind find anyone on monster who had worked for Hydro. A few days he sent me a retired manager's resume who was looking for consultancy work which I started correspondence with and within 2 weeks had an interview! The guy was related to the recruitment officer of the company! 2 teleconference interviews and an all expenses trip to Vancouver for a one to one and that was it. I still cannot believe the luck I had.

Keep going and it will work.

Paul
Old Sep 25th 2006, 2:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

Mountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond repute

Husband and I didnt come with Jobs landed June 8th .......both in full employment within six weeks...... first job offer in three weeks. Lots of jobs to be had in Alberta.
Old Sep 25th 2006, 2:40 pm
Seasoned Maritimer

Tangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by smelly
Husband and I didnt come with Jobs landed June 8th .......both in full employment within six weeks...... first job offer in three weeks. Lots of jobs to be had in Alberta.
Yep, lost count of the number of replies from employers and telephone interviews which have said at the end " You're a perfect fit for what we are looking for, let us know when the 4 years have passed by and we can employ you "
Old Sep 25th 2006, 2:48 pm
Danny Kay

Danny Kay has a brilliant futureDanny Kay has a brilliant futureDanny Kay has a brilliant futureDanny Kay has a brilliant futureDanny Kay has a brilliant futureDanny Kay has a brilliant future

There is a saying and it works for us:

LIVE FOR TODAY AND NOT FOR TOMORROW AS TOMORROW IS ANOTHER DAY.
When did i become so bloody philosophical?
Old Sep 26th 2006, 9:09 am
BE Enthusiast

Eastbound has much to be proud ofEastbound has much to be proud ofEastbound has much to be proud ofEastbound has much to be proud ofEastbound has much to be proud ofEastbound has much to be proud ofEastbound has much to be proud ofEastbound has much to be proud ofEastbound has much to be proud ofEastbound has much to be proud ofEastbound has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Tangram
Yep, lost count of the number of replies from employers and telephone interviews which have said at the end " You're a perfect fit for what we are looking for, let us know when the 4 years have passed by and we can employ you "
Hi
Is there any chance you can maybe apply for a work visa and get out there that way and maybe get fast tracked for PR once your out there
I know sometimes thats not so easy if youve got jobs here etc its a scary leap of faith isnt it
Old Sep 26th 2006, 11:26 am
Forum Regular

charlie1 is a glorious beacon of lightcharlie1 is a glorious beacon of lightcharlie1 is a glorious beacon of lightcharlie1 is a glorious beacon of lightcharlie1 is a glorious beacon of lightcharlie1 is a glorious beacon of lightcharlie1 is a glorious beacon of lightcharlie1 is a glorious beacon of lightcharlie1 is a glorious beacon of lightcharlie1 is a glorious beacon of lightcharlie1 is a glorious beacon of light

We were in exactly the same situation as you 3 months ago, terrified about moving with no prospect of employment, however both my wife and I were working within 5 days of landing, ok not ideal dream jobs but good enough to get us by without having to spend our savings, and sufficient to get a mortgage without putting 35% down

Good luck but don't worry there are many jobs going over here
Old Sep 26th 2006, 2:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

Bsidebaby has much to be proud ofBsidebaby has much to be proud ofBsidebaby has much to be proud ofBsidebaby has much to be proud ofBsidebaby has much to be proud ofBsidebaby has much to be proud ofBsidebaby has much to be proud ofBsidebaby has much to be proud ofBsidebaby has much to be proud ofBsidebaby has much to be proud ofBsidebaby has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by charlie1
We were in exactly the same situation as you 3 months ago, terrified about moving with no prospect of employment, however both my wife and I were working within 5 days of landing, ok not ideal dream jobs but good enough to get us by without having to spend our savings, and sufficient to get a mortgage without putting 35% down

Good luck but don't worry there are many jobs going over here
Hi thanks for that - we are going to Ontario where are you?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.