Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Need A Job Now!

Need A Job Now!

Old Sep 26th 2006, 2:45 pm
Forum Regular

charlie1 is a glorious beacon of lightcharlie1 is a glorious beacon of lightcharlie1 is a glorious beacon of lightcharlie1 is a glorious beacon of lightcharlie1 is a glorious beacon of lightcharlie1 is a glorious beacon of lightcharlie1 is a glorious beacon of lightcharlie1 is a glorious beacon of lightcharlie1 is a glorious beacon of lightcharlie1 is a glorious beacon of lightcharlie1 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Need A Job Now!

Originally Posted by Bsidebaby
Hi thanks for that - we are going to Ontario where are you?
We are in NS but i'm sure its the same situation in Ontario
Old Sep 26th 2006, 8:15 pm
Forum Regular

TheVickers is a splendid one to beholdTheVickers is a splendid one to beholdTheVickers is a splendid one to beholdTheVickers is a splendid one to beholdTheVickers is a splendid one to beholdTheVickers is a splendid one to beholdTheVickers is a splendid one to beholdTheVickers is a splendid one to beholdTheVickers is a splendid one to beholdTheVickers is a splendid one to beholdTheVickers is a splendid one to behold

Hiya besidebaby

we are in kitchener, Ontario.

We have been here almost 4 months and Dh hasn't got a job yet. He is an IT Consultant. There are loads of jobs but once again the no prior canadian experience we think is what is holding him back.

What I would say is join the online job databases but also other agencies and go in and meet with them so they know who you are.

What type of job do you do?

jo x
Old Sep 27th 2006, 2:56 am
Senile Member

Daedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond repute

the biggest job websites I know of in Canada are:
Monster.ca
workopolis.ca (or was it .com/canada, cant remember now)
jobboom.ca

Get yourself searching on these sites and applying/bookmarking interesting looking jobs that will still be open on your arrival. BEFORE you leave the UK, get in touch with as many ex-coworkers, ex-bosses etc you are still on good terms with and get them to write you letters of recomendation/referall letters (preferably on their company letter head paper) and scan them so you have a computer file as well as a proper printed original copy... honestly, it will only be a plus if you can show your prospective new employers proof of your accreditations (signed etc) without them having to place long distance phone calls to verify!

I moved to the UK on an Ancestry Visa with no job, took me about 2 months to get my first job but I was being picky about salary & proximity as I don't drive. If you have as much hard copy evidence as you can muster to back up your claims, it will only assist you in your interviews/applications in a new country
Old Sep 28th 2006, 8:50 pm
Forum Regular

charlie1 is a glorious beacon of lightcharlie1 is a glorious beacon of lightcharlie1 is a glorious beacon of lightcharlie1 is a glorious beacon of lightcharlie1 is a glorious beacon of lightcharlie1 is a glorious beacon of lightcharlie1 is a glorious beacon of lightcharlie1 is a glorious beacon of lightcharlie1 is a glorious beacon of lightcharlie1 is a glorious beacon of lightcharlie1 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Daedra
the biggest job websites I know of in Canada are:
Monster.ca
workopolis.ca (or was it .com/canada, cant remember now)
jobboom.ca
www.jobbank.gc.ca is a very useful site