Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

need ideas where to move next

need ideas where to move next

Old Mar 24th 2011, 1:27 am
Temporary Canuck

mattieuk has much to be proud ofmattieuk has much to be proud ofmattieuk has much to be proud ofmattieuk has much to be proud ofmattieuk has much to be proud ofmattieuk has much to be proud ofmattieuk has much to be proud ofmattieuk has much to be proud ofmattieuk has much to be proud ofmattieuk has much to be proud ofmattieuk has much to be proud of
Default Re: need ideas where to move next

Originally Posted by Grandslam
you both misread my original post, I said 'I am looking for somewhere that has trees, lakes or mountains within easy reach' hence not asking for all 3 just any of the aforementioned!

Surely thats not asking for the impossible in Canada?
You'd probably be better off defining your criteria a bit clearer. What is 'easy reach'? I know people who will drive 2 and a half/3 hours each way for a day trip which they consider easy reach, or do you mean ten minutes drive up the road? I can find you plenty of places with just the trees is it is any of the aforementioned you wish

You say you've moved around BC quite a bit - where have you discounted? If you've tried Vancouver and found no work then I imagine you aren't going to find too many places that are loads better (judging on comments from posted in other areas on BE).

What kind of property are you looking for in the $200,000 range? You can find condos in that area just outside of more popular property markets around Vancouver (places like Maple Ridge, Surrey and Langley) which would all fit your bill of smaller cities (well, perhaps not Surrey) that are close to 'nature'.
Old Mar 25th 2011, 8:29 pm
Just Joined

Grandslam is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by hutchy100
Hi i'm in Bc i'm a gas fitter by trade and i'm allowed to goto school for 6 weeks and then il have my gas stuff for Bc, do you do gas work at all as most places here want gas and plumber and i'm pretty sure you need the tickets to do the plumbing work as well
Hi, no I went the other route, I have an NVQ in plumbing but I did oil instead of gas OFTEC
Old Mar 25th 2011, 8:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

johnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to behold

Hi,
looking for some ideas where to move next. We started out in Regina SK, but did not enjoy the cold winters or the flat treeless landscape. Last year we moved around BC quite a bit but ultimately although we like it here, the job front is not very good for me! (building maintenance/ Plumber)
I have considered moving to Edmonton as there seems to be plenty of work but then we are back to the long cold winters.
Ultimately I am looking for somewhere that has trees, lakes or mountains within easy reach as well as affordable housing in the $200k range. The area must be safe and clean, and with a reasonable chance of getting work. I am currently looking at Cambridge ON, I would like to live in a smaller city or community. Any constructive advise would be appreciated greatly.
If you are going to move into the Cambridge area, Waterloo may be a better bet. You can commute to Mississauaga from Cambridge though.
Old Mar 26th 2011, 1:33 am
Forum Regular

hutchy100 will become famous soon enough

Hi, no I went the other route, I have an NVQ in plumbing but I did oil instead of gas OFTEC
I have my nvq in hvac and did my gas, but you defo need to swap your stuff over as most places won't hire otherwise my course is costing around 2000 dollars
Old Mar 26th 2011, 4:25 am
Journeyman Canadian

scimdarren is a glorious beacon of lightscimdarren is a glorious beacon of lightscimdarren is a glorious beacon of lightscimdarren is a glorious beacon of lightscimdarren is a glorious beacon of lightscimdarren is a glorious beacon of lightscimdarren is a glorious beacon of lightscimdarren is a glorious beacon of lightscimdarren is a glorious beacon of lightscimdarren is a glorious beacon of lightscimdarren is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by hutchy100
I have my nvq in hvac and did my gas, but you defo need to swap your stuff over as most places won't hire otherwise my course is costing around 2000 dollars
As hutchy is saying, making yourself an employable commodity is far more important than trees, mountains and lakes.

Darren