Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Is my UK driving license still valid in UK if I don`t live there?

Is my UK driving license still valid in UK if I don`t live there?

Old Apr 14th 2011, 9:11 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is my UK driving license still valid in UK if I don`t live there?

Originally Posted by bgroe
I have checked with my insurance company here and when my parents come to visit they are covered under my insurance if they have my permission to drive my car.

Does it not work the same in the UK? I am concerned because we are going to Scotland this summer and was hoping to use my parents car.

Anyone know for sure?
No. Your parents need to check with their insurance company if you can drive their car using a Canadian DL...best to get it in writing...just in case.
Old Apr 14th 2011, 9:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

Monique_in_Canada is a splendid one to beholdMonique_in_Canada is a splendid one to beholdMonique_in_Canada is a splendid one to beholdMonique_in_Canada is a splendid one to beholdMonique_in_Canada is a splendid one to beholdMonique_in_Canada is a splendid one to beholdMonique_in_Canada is a splendid one to beholdMonique_in_Canada is a splendid one to beholdMonique_in_Canada is a splendid one to beholdMonique_in_Canada is a splendid one to beholdMonique_in_Canada is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by arniedog
if you havent well you can always rely on good ol public transport ha ha . Oh but make sure its not snowing because we have the wrong type of snow in the UK . Oh yes and make sure its not raining because some of the roads get flooded because weve sacked all the council workers and the drains are now full of leaves so the water Cant drain away. Sorry also meant to say dont come if its too hot because the councils budget is very low this year so we had to use cheap tarmac and now the sun has melted it and the cars , trucks ,busses etc are pulling it off the roads. Me bitter How dare you !
"LIKE"
Old Apr 14th 2011, 9:33 pm
x 0 x

JB0591 will become famous soon enoughJB0591 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by bgroe
I have checked with my insurance company here and when my parents come to visit they are covered under my insurance if they have my permission to drive my car.

Does it not work the same in the UK? I am concerned because we are going to Scotland this summer and was hoping to use my parents car.

Anyone know for sure?
As Jerseygirl wrote, in most cases it is a "no".

They way I see it here we insure the car whereas in the UK they insure the person. For example, in Canada if you borrow a friend's car their insurance covers you (provided you have their permission). Whereas in the UK if you borrow a car your insurance covers you provided you have Comprohensive level. (If you have not got "any car" option on the insurance they only cover you third party fire and theft).

P.s. I am new to Canadian insurance so might have got this wrong
Old Apr 14th 2011, 10:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

justkidding has much to be proud ofjustkidding has much to be proud ofjustkidding has much to be proud ofjustkidding has much to be proud ofjustkidding has much to be proud ofjustkidding has much to be proud ofjustkidding has much to be proud ofjustkidding has much to be proud ofjustkidding has much to be proud ofjustkidding has much to be proud ofjustkidding has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
No. Your parents need to check with their insurance company if you can drive their car using a Canadian DL...best to get it in writing...just in case.
Originally Posted by JB0591

They way I see it here we insure the car whereas in the UK they insure the person. For example, in Canada if you borrow a friend's car their insurance covers you (provided you have their permission). Whereas in the UK if you borrow a car your insurance covers you provided you have Comprohensive level. (If you have not got "any car" option on the insurance they only cover you third party fire and theft).

Thanks to both of you. I will have them check and see what the story is. Hopefully, it won't cost an arm and a leg to add me on if we have to.
Old Apr 14th 2011, 10:32 pm
Citizenship Nov 10 2016!!

nikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JB0591

I worked in insurance in the uk and here in Canada, above is spot on, its actually Third Party only cover in the uk if the owner gives the driver permission, to have full comp or fore and theft cover carried over the new driver would have to be added to the policy.
Old Apr 14th 2011, 11:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

jamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond repute

i went back in 09 to scotland and was put onto mums insurance for10days for i think 50gbp ,,,,on canadian licence ,had found my lost uk licence with me as well
jimmy
Old Apr 15th 2011, 1:11 pm
Forum Regular

penny farthing is just really nicepenny farthing is just really nicepenny farthing is just really nicepenny farthing is just really nicepenny farthing is just really nicepenny farthing is just really nicepenny farthing is just really nicepenny farthing is just really nice

I emailed the DVLA a few months ago as this subject crops up often in the US forums. The reply was if you're not a UK resident you do not have a valid UK DL.

If you are driving without a valid license then you will not be covered for insurance.
I am confused about the answer the DVLA gave here.
My UK license expires in 2020 - thats the date written on it- and I havent lived there for a long time, but use it at least once a year to rent a car- I am a UK citizen - non resident.

So why should it become invalid/obsolete because I am no longer a resident?
Thanks
Old Apr 15th 2011, 1:49 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by penny farthing
My UK license expires in 2020 - thats the date written on it- and I havent lived there for a long time, but use it at least once a year to rent a car- I am a UK citizen - non resident.

Thanks
It was an EU ruling in 1997. You may be able to use your UK DL to hire a car but if you are involved in an accident or pulled over by the police you have a problem because your license isn't valid...therefore you are driving without insurance.
Old Apr 15th 2011, 1:51 pm
Every day's a school day

cheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by penny farthing

Thanks
I just rang DVLA and they had not been informed by Canada that i had exchanged my licence so offically i am still a resident of the UK in their eyes and i can get my UK licence back no issue and can drive in the UK.

Trouble is now they know i have exchanged my licence so foot in mouth time
Old Apr 15th 2011, 2:13 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by cheeky_monkey
I just rang DVLA and they had not been informed by Canada that i had exchanged my licence so offically i am still a resident of the UK in their eyes and i can get my UK licence back no issue and can drive in the UK.

Trouble is now they know i have exchanged my licence so foot in mouth time
That's only because you've not disclosed you are no longer a UK resident to the DVLA.

What address would the new license be issued to? They will only issue it to a UK address.
Old Apr 15th 2011, 2:17 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

I always use my US DL when I go to the UK and rent a car. BTW if you have an American Express card you can buy their auto insurance if you use the AMEX card to pay for the rental. The insurance has excellent coverage and costs just under $25 USD per rental. Much cheaper than taking out the rental company's insurance. There's been several threads about this in the US forum.
I think that $25 must depend on the type of Amex card you have, I always use Amex and decline the hire company's insurances. I've never paid anything for the insurance. I've had a few claims (one where I came out in the morning to find the hire car squished like some sort of bug) and they've always been dealt with promptly and politely.
Old Apr 15th 2011, 2:19 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by dbd33
I think that $25 must depend on the type of Amex card you have, I always use Amex and decline the hire company's insurances. I've never paid anything for the insurance. I've had a few claims (one where I came out in the morning to find the hire car squished like some sort of bug) and they've always been dealt with promptly and politely.
You're probably right. I have the cheapo blue Costco AMEX card...I get about $2K cash back from it every year.

Thanks for the info...good to know the service is good.
Old Apr 15th 2011, 2:39 pm
Every day's a school day

cheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond repute

That's only because you've not disclosed you are no longer a UK resident to the DVLA.

What address would the new license be issued to? They will only issue it to a UK address.
well no DVLA told me Canada are suppose to inform them when Licences are exchanged..i still own property in the UK so can get my licence sent their
Old Apr 15th 2011, 2:44 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by cheeky_monkey
well no DVLA told me Canada are suppose to inform them when Licences are exchanged..i still own property in the UK so can get my licence sent their
No matter which way you spin it...you are not a UK resident and therefore you do not have and cannot obtain a valid UK license.

This is part of the email I received from the DVLA:

Changes to British legislation resulting in the implementation of the Second EC Directive on Driving Licences (91/439/EEC) since 1 January 1997, have required that driving licences are granted only to drivers who are resident in this country.

It doesn't really matter what is said over the phone...you need it in writing. Post the content on here...then I will email them again and challenge it.

Last edited by Jerseygirl; Apr 15th 2011 at 2:46 pm.
Old Apr 15th 2011, 3:01 pm
Every day's a school day

No matter which way you spin it...you are not a UK resident and therefore you do not have and cannot obtain a valid UK license.

This is part of the email I received from the DVLA:

Changes to British legislation resulting in the implementation of the Second EC Directive on Driving Licences (91/439/EEC) since 1 January 1997, have required that driving licences are granted only to drivers who are resident in this country.

It doesn't really matter what is said over the phone...you need it in writing. Post the content on here...then I will email them again and challenge it.
Tell that to DVLA..they have redone my licence for me cost 20 quid all done

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.