Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Is my UK driving license still valid in UK if I don`t live there?

Is my UK driving license still valid in UK if I don`t live there?

Old Mar 1st 2011, 10:50 pm
Just Joined

blueskydreamer is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Is my UK driving license still valid in UK if I don`t live there?

I have lived in Canada for many years and not driven. I decided I really should drive here. Although I have a UK driving license I wanted to go through the process of taking the test in Canada (to get experience etc). My logic was I would keep my UK license and go through the process of getting a Canadian one like anyone else starting from scratch so I could keep both. However I was told at the Service Canada centre it was not allowed. As I have a UK driving license I must surrender it to gain a Canadian one.

So, through my research I know I can swap it back if/when I return to the UK to live and that you can provide a record of your old license so you get full manual license rather than the automatic that would normally be issued.

Somehow though, the thought of giving up my hard earned UK license seems such a wrench. I figure I might need it in the UK on a visit when I go back. (I do understand that I can drive for 12 months on my Canadian license in the UK.)

So finally here is my question....is my UK license actually valid if I am not a permanent resident in the UK anymore?

If it isn`t valid anymore, then I have nothing to worry about and will gladly hand it over and get on the road here

Many thanks for the advice. I have searched but cannot find the answer to this particular question online.

Last edited by blueskydreamer; Mar 1st 2011 at 10:51 pm. Reason: mistake in Title
Old Mar 2nd 2011, 4:13 am
x 0 x

JB0591 will become famous soon enoughJB0591 will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Is my UK driving license still valid in UK if I don`t live there?

Technically your UK licence is only valid if you are resident in the UK. If you move abroad then your licence is invalid as the address does not reflect your residence.

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring...nce/DG_4022088

(see paragraph "keeping your detail correct")

Whilst you were thinking of taking the Canadian road test, you could contact a driving instructor and pay for lessons without permit plates being shown....if that is the right terminology.

Also whilst you hand over your licence and they will send it back to the UK, your UK driving history is not erased.......as you put you can still get your licence back if you return to the UK.

When I go back for holiday (hopefully this year) I will gladly hand over a foreign licence if I get stopped

Last edited by JB0591; Mar 2nd 2011 at 4:16 am.
Old Mar 2nd 2011, 4:27 am
m-b
Just Joined

m-b is an unknown quantity at this point

i am not sure if this is new. i got a canadian license after doing the test here 6 years ago and still have my uk one too - i was never asked to surrender it - maybe it's different by province?
Old Mar 2nd 2011, 4:45 am
x 0 x

JB0591 will become famous soon enoughJB0591 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by m-b
i am not sure if this is new. i got a canadian license after doing the test here 6 years ago and still have my uk one too - i was never asked to surrender it - maybe it's different by province?
It is still dependant on province, I believe BC is the latest to now recognise UK driving history allowing of the direct swap over of the license.

The British Embassy are responsible for negotiating with each province on this matter.
Old Mar 2nd 2011, 10:16 am
All Sooked up!

james.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by m-b
You may not have been asked to surrender it, but under UK law the licence is no longer valid if you reside out-with the UK. If anyone, not resident in the UK, tries to drive on an old UK licence in effect they are driving without a valid licence.

I agree with JB0591
We are currently on Portuguese (EU) licences and, when we visit, happily drive in the UK on 'foreign' (as the UK perceives the EU mainland) licences.
There is no points system in Portugal, which could be saving grace.
Old Mar 2nd 2011, 12:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

roxye3 has a reputation beyond reputeroxye3 has a reputation beyond reputeroxye3 has a reputation beyond reputeroxye3 has a reputation beyond reputeroxye3 has a reputation beyond reputeroxye3 has a reputation beyond reputeroxye3 has a reputation beyond reputeroxye3 has a reputation beyond reputeroxye3 has a reputation beyond reputeroxye3 has a reputation beyond reputeroxye3 has a reputation beyond repute

At the end of the day it depends on the province you live in and the reciprocal agreement that Great Britain has with that province. For example…. Ontario has a reciprocal deal with Great Britain so therefore it is illegal to have 2 driver’s licences BUT Nova Scotia does not have a reciprocal deal so I can legally carry both my British Licence and my Nova Scotian licence. As for the deal of British Drivers licence expiring; My British licence is registered to my Mum’s address so when I go home to visit I live there so as far as I am concerned my licence will always remain valid as this is my British address weather I am physically there or not. I wouldn’t worry about it unless you live in Ontario or a province with a reciprocal deal.
Old Mar 2nd 2011, 12:30 pm
All Sooked up!

james.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by james.mc
You may not have been asked to surrender it, but under UK law the licence is no longer valid if you reside out-with the UK.
Quoting myself and eating my own words!

Just had a dig though the DVLA site and there is no requirement to advise DVLA that you have moved abroad. By that I assume them to mean that you keep your UK licence registered to a UK address as suggested above.. In which case, as it's your licence, should be valid to drive with.

I'd still drive in the UK with any other licence other than a UK one though. Of course, if you are stopped for a motoring offence, there is the scenario that the UK cops might check for your name with DVLA and see that you have a valid UK licence and process any motoring offence under that, rather than take into account your foreign (Canadian) licence. I no longer have a UK licence as it was 'swapped' for Portuguese EU licence. I drive in the UK on that when I visit. Before heading to Canada I will 'swap' it back to a UK licence, then on arrival in Vic swap it for a BC licence.

DVLA always keep your driving entitlement on record (of which you should request a copy anyway) so I see no reason, as a PR of Canada, to want to keep a UK licence anyway, unless of course you are not sure which country you actually live in
Old Mar 2nd 2011, 1:15 pm
Just Joined

Many thanks for the advice you have all given. I realised I missed a key piece of info that I live in Ontario and there is a reciprocal agreement.

I think I have no choice on it. If I want to drive in Ontario I have to give up my UK license.

Thank you for your comments. Despite the different opinions posted I am not convinced it is legal to drive on my UK license in the UK anymore. My address given is my parents address which is where I stay when I go back. If I got into an accident it would not take much delving to discover I am no longer a PR in the UK.....and perhaps this could get me into hot water.

I appreciate you all taking the time to respond to this.
Old Mar 2nd 2011, 1:25 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

In ontario you cant swap it for a full G license as you dont have recent driving experience to back it up.

http://www.drivetest.ca/en/license/O...ryDrivers.aspx

As far as they are concerned it seems to me you might as well not even mention the UK license for all the good it will do you.

Originally Posted by Ontario DriveTest
Applicants declaring less than 12 months driving experience within the preceding three years:

The ministry will recognize the amount of driving experience declared on the driver's licence application.
Applicants must have 12 months driving experience before attempting the G2 road test.
If an applicant successfully completes a ministry-approved Beginner Driver Education course, the mandatory waiting time, prior to taking the G2 road test, will be reduced from 12 to 8 months.
The 8-12 months may be a combination of driving experience in the foreign jurisdiction and experience in Ontario.
I am pretty sure my UK license is still good to drive on in the UK, should I return and update my address.
Old Mar 2nd 2011, 2:34 pm
Just Joined

OK. A quick follow up on this. I phoned DVLA and yes it is allowed to drive in the UK on your UK license even though you are not a permanent resident in the country.

Also yes, if you are a standard or manual driver in the UK and swap it to Ontario then swap back you will be given that same class of license back again because they have it on record.

As for me I am back to square one. I have to decide what I am going to do! Currently I drive my parents car when I go home, but if I have an Ontario license not sure if I can still get insured to do that.....
Old Mar 2nd 2011, 2:38 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by blueskydreamer
As for me I am back to square one. I have to decide what I am going to do! Currently I drive my parents car when I go home, but if I have an Ontario license not sure if I can still get insured to do that.....
Makes no difference I suspect. Many people chose to "lose" their UK license and apply for a replacement (duplicate) before doing the swap.

If I were in your situation I would just go through the regular Ontario graduated licensing program as your lack of recent driving experience means the benefits of swapping your UK license are minimal at best.
Old Mar 2nd 2011, 2:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

rubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond repute

I'd still drive in the UK with any other licence other than a UK one though.
Nice idea, but the below applies.

Of course, if you are stopped for a motoring offence, there is the scenario that the UK cops might check for your name with DVLA and see that you have a valid UK licence and process any motoring offence under that, rather than take into account your foreign (Canadian) licence.
That's exactly what would happen. When stopped, you'll be checked on the police national computer, your license will be checked, the car's insurance and MOT will be checked and you might also have checks done against the local force's computer system. Once it's found that you're a British license holder, that license will be endorsed if there are any offences.
Old Mar 2nd 2011, 2:59 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

Its more a question of arranging insurance to cover driving a parents car isnt it?

Most UK insurance companies will ask for a UK license for a named driver. Its not entirely the same as insuring a rental car where overseas licensing is not unusual.

Last time I went over it was less hassle to get a rental for a week than to pay through the nose for an extra driver on Dads car. When he visits here of course he can drive my car, as long as I take on the risk of it hitting my premiums if he has to make a claim.
Old Mar 2nd 2011, 10:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

roxye3 has a reputation beyond reputeroxye3 has a reputation beyond reputeroxye3 has a reputation beyond reputeroxye3 has a reputation beyond reputeroxye3 has a reputation beyond reputeroxye3 has a reputation beyond reputeroxye3 has a reputation beyond reputeroxye3 has a reputation beyond reputeroxye3 has a reputation beyond reputeroxye3 has a reputation beyond reputeroxye3 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by blueskydreamer
Many thanks for the advice you have all given. I realised I missed a key piece of info that I live in Ontario and there is a reciprocal agreement.

I think I have no choice on it. If I want to drive in Ontario I have to give up my UK license.

Thank you for your comments. Despite the different opinions posted I am not convinced it is legal to drive on my UK license in the UK anymore. My address given is my parents address which is where I stay when I go back. If I got into an accident it would not take much delving to discover I am no longer a PR in the UK.....and perhaps this could get me into hot water.

I appreciate you all taking the time to respond to this.
The issue is that you are not British so no it would not be valid. If you were British then it would.
Old Mar 3rd 2011, 1:47 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

Originally Posted by roxye3
The issue is that you are not British so no it would not be valid. If you were British then it would.
Eh? Did I miss something. I didnt see anything to indicate they were not british?

Im not sure it matters anyway. According to james.mcs post there is no requirement to tell them if you are no longer resident anyway.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.