Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Is my UK driving license still valid in UK if I don`t live there?

Is my UK driving license still valid in UK if I don`t live there?

Old Mar 4th 2011, 12:21 am
BE Enthusiast

roxye3 has a reputation beyond reputeroxye3 has a reputation beyond reputeroxye3 has a reputation beyond reputeroxye3 has a reputation beyond reputeroxye3 has a reputation beyond reputeroxye3 has a reputation beyond reputeroxye3 has a reputation beyond reputeroxye3 has a reputation beyond reputeroxye3 has a reputation beyond reputeroxye3 has a reputation beyond reputeroxye3 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is my UK driving license still valid in UK if I don`t live there?

Originally Posted by iaink
Eh? Did I miss something. I didnt see anything to indicate they were not british?

Im not sure it matters anyway. According to james.mcs post there is no requirement to tell them if you are no longer resident anyway.
HEHE! It was a matter of time. He had written that he would no longer be PR in the UK. If you are a British Subject then it would not matter. British Subjects regardless of location can vote, keep their licences (unless reciprocal)and come and go as they please. I am not sure about Britain but certainly in the US when I lived there my drivers licence was locked to my visa. No visa no licence et al.

" I am no longer a PR in the UK.....and perhaps this could get me into hot water."

But you are right. It only matters if you declare it and as there is no requirement the whole issue is defunct.

Old Apr 14th 2011, 4:57 pm
Forum Regular

penny farthing is just really nicepenny farthing is just really nicepenny farthing is just really nicepenny farthing is just really nicepenny farthing is just really nicepenny farthing is just really nicepenny farthing is just really nicepenny farthing is just really nice

Originally Posted by blueskydreamer
OK. A quick follow up on this. I phoned DVLA and yes it is allowed to drive in the UK on your UK license even though you are not a permanent resident in the country.

Also yes, if you are a standard or manual driver in the UK and swap it to Ontario then swap back you will be given that same class of license back again because they have it on record.

As for me I am back to square one. I have to decide what I am going to do! Currently I drive my parents car when I go home, but if I have an Ontario license not sure if I can still get insured to do that.....
There has always been some confusion about the rules. I am a both a British Citizen (non resident) and Canadian citizen (living in Canada). I still (and always have for years) used my old ,valid, non -photo UK license when I rent a car in UK.
Never had any problems as I give rental firm and their insurer the address I am staying at for the holiday, however the address on the license is my old UK one..would this be a problem or should I use the Canadian license?

any thoughts? does it matter- no endorsements ever on either license.

thanks
Old Apr 14th 2011, 6:38 pm
Every day's a school day

cheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond repute

Ok but what about hiring a car in the UK.. my wife was told that as she has had a Canadian licence for less than a year she cant hire a car in the UK..although she held a UK licence for 15 years... there is no way of proving this as she no longer has her Uk licence...on the Canadian licence it does not say when you passed your test
Old Apr 14th 2011, 7:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

Monique_in_Canada is a splendid one to beholdMonique_in_Canada is a splendid one to beholdMonique_in_Canada is a splendid one to beholdMonique_in_Canada is a splendid one to beholdMonique_in_Canada is a splendid one to beholdMonique_in_Canada is a splendid one to beholdMonique_in_Canada is a splendid one to beholdMonique_in_Canada is a splendid one to beholdMonique_in_Canada is a splendid one to beholdMonique_in_Canada is a splendid one to beholdMonique_in_Canada is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by cheeky_monkey
my wife was told that as she has had a Canadian licence for less than a year she cant hire a car in the UK..although she held a UK licence for 15 years...

not sure why she can't.....I moved to Canada 10 years ago (before the reciprocal agreement was in place to exchange licenses) I took a test and have both licenses, I went back to the UK in Feb 2002 and hired a car, I got my Cdn license in Sept 2001 and I was able to use either license, i got back every year, I take both licenses, but only ever use my Cdn one.
Old Apr 14th 2011, 7:05 pm
Every day's a school day

cheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Monique_in_Canada
not sure why she can't.....I moved to Canada 10 years ago (before the reciprocal agreement was in place to exchange licenses) I took a test and have both licenses, I went back to the UK in Feb 2002 and hired a car, I got my Cdn license in Sept 2001 and I was able to use either license, i got back every year, I take both licenses, but only ever use my Cdn one.
because she only got her Canadian licence in July 2010..and had to surrender the UK licence..so it looks like she has only held any licence since last July as she no longer has a UK one.. so cant prove she has been driving in the UK for 15 years.
Old Apr 14th 2011, 7:17 pm
forever blowing bubbles

arniedog has much to be proud ofarniedog has much to be proud ofarniedog has much to be proud ofarniedog has much to be proud ofarniedog has much to be proud ofarniedog has much to be proud ofarniedog has much to be proud ofarniedog has much to be proud ofarniedog has much to be proud ofarniedog has much to be proud ofarniedog has much to be proud of

In ontario you cant swap it for a full G license as you dont have recent driving experience to back it up.

http://www.drivetest.ca/en/license/O...ryDrivers.aspx

As far as they are concerned it seems to me you might as well not even mention the UK license for all the good it will do you.

I am pretty sure my UK license is still good to drive on in the UK, should I return and update my address.
sorry but im having a thick day today . Ive been driving for a long time in England and also drive hgv's here, so when i move to Ontario will i get a full license when i surrender mine ?
Old Apr 14th 2011, 7:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

Monique_in_Canada is a splendid one to beholdMonique_in_Canada is a splendid one to beholdMonique_in_Canada is a splendid one to beholdMonique_in_Canada is a splendid one to beholdMonique_in_Canada is a splendid one to beholdMonique_in_Canada is a splendid one to beholdMonique_in_Canada is a splendid one to beholdMonique_in_Canada is a splendid one to beholdMonique_in_Canada is a splendid one to beholdMonique_in_Canada is a splendid one to beholdMonique_in_Canada is a splendid one to behold

because she only got her Canadian licence in July 2010..and had to surrender the UK licence..so it looks like she has only held any licence since last July as she no longer has a UK one.. so cant prove she has been driving in the UK for 15 years.

I didn't mean for u to reiterate the info u had already posted, I get that bit.....I meant I can't see why she can't hire a car in the UK on a CDN license that she has only had less than a year....as I said in my post I hired a car with a CDN license I had only had for 6 months!!
Old Apr 14th 2011, 7:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by arniedog
sorry but im having a thick day today . Ive been driving for a long time in England and also drive hgv's here, so when i move to Ontario will i get a full license when i surrender mine ?
yes!!
Old Apr 14th 2011, 7:36 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

I emailed the DVLA a few months ago as this subject crops up often in the US forums. The reply was if you're not a UK resident you do not have a valid UK DL.

If you are driving without a valid license then you will not be covered for insurance.
Old Apr 14th 2011, 7:38 pm
forever blowing bubbles

arniedog has much to be proud ofarniedog has much to be proud ofarniedog has much to be proud ofarniedog has much to be proud ofarniedog has much to be proud ofarniedog has much to be proud ofarniedog has much to be proud ofarniedog has much to be proud ofarniedog has much to be proud ofarniedog has much to be proud ofarniedog has much to be proud of
Cool Re: Is my UK driving license still valid in UK if I don`t live there?

Originally Posted by Monique_in_Canada
yes!!
phew Thats ok then because i dont think i would pass it again lol. Thanks for that monique
Old Apr 14th 2011, 7:41 pm
forever blowing bubbles

Cool Re: Is my UK driving license still valid in UK if I don`t live there?

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
I emailed the DVLA a few months ago as this subject crops up often in the US forums. The reply was if you're not a UK resident you do not have a valid UK DL.

If you are driving without a valid license then you will not be covered for insurance.
so the answer to that then is you hire a car , drive on your cdn license and you are covered by the hire companies insurance
Old Apr 14th 2011, 7:44 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

so the answer to that then is you hire a car , drive on your cdn license and you are covered by the hire companies insurance
I always use my US DL when I go to the UK and rent a car. BTW if you have an American Express card you can buy their auto insurance if you use the AMEX card to pay for the rental. The insurance has excellent coverage and costs just under $25 USD per rental. Much cheaper than taking out the rental company's insurance. There's been several threads about this in the US forum.
Old Apr 14th 2011, 7:46 pm
Every day's a school day

well only if you have held that licence for more than a year apparently?
Old Apr 14th 2011, 7:58 pm
forever blowing bubbles

well only if you have held that licence for more than a year apparently?
if you havent well you can always rely on good ol public transport ha ha . Oh but make sure its not snowing because we have the wrong type of snow in the UK . Oh yes and make sure its not raining because some of the roads get flooded because weve sacked all the council workers and the drains are now full of leaves so the water Cant drain away. Sorry also meant to say dont come if its too hot because the councils budget is very low this year so we had to use cheap tarmac and now the sun has melted it and the cars , trucks ,busses etc are pulling it off the roads. Me bitter How dare you !
Old Apr 14th 2011, 8:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

justkidding has much to be proud ofjustkidding has much to be proud ofjustkidding has much to be proud ofjustkidding has much to be proud ofjustkidding has much to be proud ofjustkidding has much to be proud ofjustkidding has much to be proud ofjustkidding has much to be proud ofjustkidding has much to be proud ofjustkidding has much to be proud ofjustkidding has much to be proud of

Its more a question of arranging insurance to cover driving a parents car isnt it?

Most UK insurance companies will ask for a UK license for a named driver. Its not entirely the same as insuring a rental car where overseas licensing is not unusual.

Last time I went over it was less hassle to get a rental for a week than to pay through the nose for an extra driver on Dads car. When he visits here of course he can drive my car, as long as I take on the risk of it hitting my premiums if he has to make a claim.
I have checked with my insurance company here and when my parents come to visit they are covered under my insurance if they have my permission to drive my car.

Does it not work the same in the UK? I am concerned because we are going to Scotland this summer and was hoping to use my parents car.

Anyone know for sure?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.