Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Is my son entitled to free schooling?

Is my son entitled to free schooling?

Old Jan 4th 2012, 9:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is my son entitled to free schooling?

Originally Posted by CONFUZZEDMUCH
I was thinking the same but not sure i would want to leave him for a long period of time...

Just while i have you there, and it sound like your someone who knows your stuff... it has just been brought to my attention the my son might actually be a canadian citizen also as he was born before April 2009. would this be the case for the second generation???
You can check here:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/citizen...es/tool_04.asp
Old Jan 4th 2012, 9:41 pm
Just Joined

CONFUZZEDMUCH is an unknown quantity at this point

When did you find out you are a Canadian citizen?
When did you decide to move back to Canada?[/QUOTE]
I have known all my life - my mother is Canadian born. This would be the first time i would have lived in Canada... thats why i wanted to get some work experience in prior to getting the citizenship confirmed so i can make a decison on where to settle before applying for my soons PR (Possibly citizenship...?)
Old Jan 4th 2012, 9:45 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by MarylandNed
Thanks. I have done the assessment for him and it said that it could not be determined and to contact CIC...
Old Jan 4th 2012, 9:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks. I have done the assessment for him and it said that it could not be determined and to contact CIC...
You should also contact your local Canadian consulate/embassy. Now that I think about it, I seem to remember someone once saying that they were able to get a Canadian passport while their application for a Canadian Citizenship Certificate was being processed. It might have been an emergency passport valid for a reduced time period e.g. 1 year instead of 5 years.
Old Jan 4th 2012, 9:57 pm
Just Joined

Great. Thank you for the info.... wouldnt it be great if they just had a phone number you could call!
Old Jan 5th 2012, 12:43 am
Just Joined

MarzBaR is an unknown quantity at this point

Ok, so I've submitted my application for proof of citizenship which will take a while to be processed from the UK.

So in the meantime i'm going back to the job search in the hope of getting a job offer and getting a temp work permit and study permit for my son...

The only problem is its hard to get work in my field without being available for interview... So to solve that problem I am thinking of heading out on an extended holiday for about 6 - 8 weeks in the hope of finding some work and applying for permits at a port of entry and canceling the flight home!

However, this poses the problem of schooling....

While I am looking for work, would my son be able to attend school (with a study permit) free of charge? I know it says I need to be able to cover the cost of living etc which i can but does that include tuition in elementary schools?
Old Jan 5th 2012, 12:45 am
Just Joined

MarzBaR is an unknown quantity at this point

If he is applying for upto K12 he could qualify for free education. Post secondary is not free.
Old Jan 5th 2012, 1:46 pm
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

My guess is that if the OP was not born in Canada, her son wont be Canadian, same way as my kids born in Canada are British as I am British born, but any kids that they have wont be British as they would be 2nd generation.
Old Jan 5th 2012, 3:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by iaink
My guess is that if the OP was not born in Canada, her son wont be Canadian, same way as my kids born in Canada are British as I am British born, but any kids that they have wont be British as they would be 2nd generation.
That's true under the new law that came into effect in April 2009. However, the OP has stated that her son was born before April 2009. If he was a Canadian citizen by descent when he was born, he's still a Canadian citizen. Anyone who was a Canadian citizen prior to the April 2009 law can't lose Canadian citizenship under the April 2009 law.