Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Is my son entitled to free schooling?

Is my son entitled to free schooling?

Old Jan 4th 2012, 12:29 pm
Just Joined

CONFUZZEDMUCH is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Is my son entitled to free schooling?

Ok, so I've submitted my application for proof of citizenship which will take a while to be processed from the UK.

So in the meantime i'm going back to the job search in the hope of getting a job offer and getting a temp work permit and study permit for my son...

The only problem is its hard to get work in my field without being available for interview... So to solve that problem I am thinking of heading out on an extended holiday for about 6 - 8 weeks in the hope of finding some work and applying for permits at a port of entry and canceling the flight home!

However, this poses the problem of schooling....

While I am looking for work, would my son be able to attend school (with a study permit) free of charge? I know it says I need to be able to cover the cost of living etc which i can but does that include tuition in elementary schools?
Old Jan 4th 2012, 1:07 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is my son entitled to free schooling?

Originally Posted by CONFUZZEDMUCH
So to solve that problem I am thinking of heading out on an extended holiday for about 6 - 8 weeks in the hope of finding some work and applying for permits at a port of entry and canceling the flight home!
You won't be cancelling the flight home if you're only staying for 6-8 weeks - the LMO alone will take approx 10-12 weeks to be processed, and you've got to add on time to actually find a job offer first as well! Figure about 6 months in total if you're lucky and find something pretty quickly.

No idea about whether or not your son could attend school on a visitor visa, but I would think it would be a lot of hassle for him if you'd have to return to the UK anyway whilst you await either the LMO or proof of citizenship and his PR. And would his school in the UK hold his place open?
Old Jan 4th 2012, 1:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

Can you even get a work permit if you're a Canadian citizen?

Your son probably does not need a study permit:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/study/study-minors.asp

In some cases, minor children do not need a study permit to study in Canada. These cases include:

•minor children attending kindergarten;
•minor children who are refugees or refugee claimants, or whose parents are refugees or refugee claimants; and
•minor children who are already in Canada with parents who are allowed to work or study in Canada, and who want to attend pre-school, primary or secondary school.
Old Jan 4th 2012, 1:36 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Son would need proof of Canadian citizenship or a study permit, but should be entitled to free schooling with either.
Old Jan 4th 2012, 3:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iaink
Son would need proof of Canadian citizenship or a study permit, but should be entitled to free schooling with either.

In some cases, minor children do not need a study permit to study in Canada. These cases include:

•minor children who are refugees or refugee claimants, or whose parents are refugees or refugee claimants; and
minor children who are already in Canada with parents who are allowed to work or study in Canada, and who want to attend pre-school, primary or secondary school.
Old Jan 4th 2012, 6:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

wolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by MarylandNed

minor children who are already in Canada with parents who are allowed to work or study in Canada, and who want to attend pre-school, primary or secondary school.
But she's not allowed to work or study in Canada is she? She wants him to go to school whilst she is looking for work.
Old Jan 4th 2012, 7:07 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by wolstie
But she's not allowed to work or study in Canada is she? She wants him to go to school whilst she is looking for work.
If shes a citizen, and can prove it, then it seems clear that she qualifies under "parents who are allowed to work or study in Canada"

The problem is she wont have actual proof of that yet...

Seems a lot of trouble for the sake of a couple of months. What are the alternatives?
Old Jan 4th 2012, 8:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by wolstie
I'm stuggling to think of a scenario where a minor child would need a study permit.

If the parent is a citizen, PR or otherwise allowed to work/study, the minor child doesn't need a study permit. If the parent is a visitor and not entitled to work/study, the minor child wouldn't be eligible for a study permit.

In this case the parent is a Canadian citizen. Even if she can't prove it, I don't think she's eligible for a work permit. Either way, the son still wouldn't need a study permit.
Old Jan 4th 2012, 9:11 pm
Just Joined

Seems a lot of trouble for the sake of a couple of months. What are the alternatives?[/QUOTE]

I probably wont recieve proof of citizenship until the end of 2012 so would really like to get some work experience in prior to this...

I was thinking about possibly applying for IEC? thoughts?...
Old Jan 4th 2012, 9:14 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Seems a lot of trouble for the sake of a couple of months. What are the alternatives?
I probably wont recieve proof of citizenship until the end of 2012 so would really like to get some work experience in prior to this...

I was thinking about possibly applying for IEC? thoughts?...[/QUOTE]

Hello you wont qualify for IEC as you are a Canadian citizen.
Old Jan 4th 2012, 9:18 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by MarylandNed
I'm stuggling to think of a scenario where a minor child would need a study permit.

If the parent is a citizen, PR or otherwise allowed to work/study, the minor child doesn't need a study permit. If the parent is a visitor and not entitled to work/study, the minor child wouldn't be eligible for a study permit.

In this case the parent is a Canadian citizen. Even if she can't prove it, I don't think she's eligible for a work permit. Either way, the son still wouldn't need a study permit.
My child would need a permit if I was in Canada without work or study permit. I have family who are both Canadian citizens who have agreed to be a custodian for the duration of our stay
even though i am a citizen i need proof of this to be able to work, a process which takes around9-12 months from the UK.
Old Jan 4th 2012, 9:22 pm
Just Joined

Hello you wont qualify for IEC as you are a Canadian citizen.[/QUOTE]

Well i am a British citizen too... have never had proof of canadian citizenship, this would be the first time i have applied...
Old Jan 4th 2012, 9:24 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Do you have relatives or friends in the UK that could look after your son while you come to Canada that would solve most of your problems.
Old Jan 4th 2012, 9:27 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hello you wont qualify for IEC as you are a Canadian citizen.
Well i am a British citizen too... have never had proof of canadian citizenship, this would be the first time i have applied...[/QUOTE]

When did you find out you are a Canadian citizen?
When did you decide to move back to Canada?
Old Jan 4th 2012, 9:31 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
Do you have relatives or friends in the UK that could look after your son while you come to Canada that would solve most of your problems.
I was thinking the same but not sure i would want to leave him for a long period of time...

Just while i have you there, and it sound like your someone who knows your stuff... it has just been brought to my attention the my son might actually be a canadian citizen also as he was born before April 2009. would this be the case for the second generation???

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.