Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

My shipping quotes are back

My shipping quotes are back

Old Jan 22nd 2007, 1:36 pm
Property Owner

welshchem is just really nicewelshchem is just really nicewelshchem is just really nicewelshchem is just really nicewelshchem is just really nicewelshchem is just really nicewelshchem is just really nicewelshchem is just really nicewelshchem is just really nicewelshchem is just really nicewelshchem is just really nice
Default Re: My shipping quotes are back

Originally Posted by KRoss
I must admit that I am having serious thoughts about not insuring at all. The mostly personal stuff we are taking is only valuable to me in a sentimental way so couldnt be replaced. I also wonder at how easy the claim process is - insurers always seem happier to part you with your cash than pay out! It is still under debate......
My stuff got collected on the 13th of december by Pickfords. I decided not to insure it, like you say unless the ship sinks or pickfords backed over it they weren't going to pay out. Saying that... I'm am stressing a little now waiting for it
Old Jan 22nd 2007, 10:58 pm
Scottish Canuck

Cookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond repute

Our 20ft container was shipped earlier this month. I insured our things at a cost of around 300 GBP which is not a lot in the grand scheme of things. I am glad I shipped over as much as I did because it would have been expensive to buy everything all over again. Replacing the electricals, a few pieces of furniture and beds will cost enough as it is.

Not to be a scaremonger, but I am always cautious and you never know what might happen. This happened a couple of days ago off the coast of Devon and my stomach turned over but I found out that it was a container from Antwept to Durban (S Africa). Pity those poor people who have lost their things. At the end of the day I would much rather have my things than the insurance money as there are personal things you just can't replace.

http://news.sky.com/skynews/article/...248262,00.html

Last edited by Cookie; Jan 22nd 2007 at 11:06 pm.
Old Jan 22nd 2007, 11:17 pm
Pea Brain

R I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by welshchem
My stuff got collected on the 13th of december by Pickfords. I decided not to insure it, like you say unless the ship sinks or pickfords backed over it they weren't going to pay out. Saying that... I'm am stressing a little now waiting for it
We insured everything, and were glad that we did - we moved in the middle of the Vancouver dock strike and our container got stuck for 8 weeks. Several pieces of antique furniture suffered from the heat inside the container in the middle of August - cracks appeared and an oak chest warped. The insurers sorted everyting out for us and got the items restored.

You just never know what might happen
Old Jan 23rd 2007, 12:27 pm

hot wasabi peas is an unknown quantity at this point

I must admit that I am having serious thoughts about not insuring at all. The mostly personal stuff we are taking is only valuable to me in a sentimental way so couldnt be replaced. I also wonder at how easy the claim process is - insurers always seem happier to part you with your cash than pay out! It is still under debate......
I didn't insure my shipment from England as, like you, the value of my stuff is/was mostly sentimental. But I generally don't do insurance unless I'm forced to. All my stuff arrived, safe and sound... not a scratch.
Old Feb 13th 2007, 6:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

Phoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Yes-can-do
Our 20ft container was shipped earlier this month. I insured our things at a cost of around 300 GBP which is not a lot in the grand scheme of things.[/url]
Who was that with if I may ask ?
Old Feb 13th 2007, 7:18 pm
Scottish Canuck

Cookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by phoenix_uk
Not sure who the underwriters are but we just went with the one offered by White and Company. Have found the invoice:

20 ft container, Aberdeen to Halifax = 3133 GBP
(all packing, unpacking etc)

Total insurance cover required by me was 13,140 GBP (did not insure everything eg lump sum for clothing and nothing for sentimental things):

@ 2.5% cost 328.50GBP

Total bill = 3461.50 GBP

Extra - 5 weeks storage in Halifax, approx $450.
Old Feb 13th 2007, 7:28 pm

KRoss is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by phoenix_uk
This company http://www.lettonpercival.co.uk/
will do it for 1.53% of the value of your property. If you email them they will send you the details.
Old Mar 26th 2007, 1:24 pm

gloveman is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by burton bunch
Hi ANdy

Have you tried GB Liners ?

We have had them around just waiting for their final quote but were very good and really down to earth.

Gaynor
x
Hi Gaynor - do you have a contact number of GB Liners. Thanks Angela
Old Mar 26th 2007, 1:25 pm

Moving a 3 seater couch, 2 seater couch, pine dresser, dining table and chairs and about 20 cartons of personal belongings from Peebles in the Scottish borders to London Ont.
Bishops move £1675 (285 cubic feet est)
Britannia £1430 (302 cubic feet est)
GB liners £1787 (no estimate of cubic feet)
Pickfords £1508 (271 cubic feet)
Clockwork - no call back after initial enquiry, had never heard of them so probably wouldnt have gone with them anyway.
Hope this may help someone, I think I have read every thread about shipping in the last 2 years!
Which one have you decided to go with?
Old Mar 26th 2007, 1:34 pm

KRoss is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by gloveman
Which one have you decided to go with?
Pickfords, and it was really to do with how professional he seemed on the day! So we will see, they come on the 26th April!
Old Mar 26th 2007, 1:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

burton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Gaynor - do you have a contact number of GB Liners. Thanks Angela
number for manchester depot for GB Liners is 0161 929 8998.

Dont know if this is the depot you need but am sure that Joanne will pass you onto the correct one.

Best of Luck

Gaynor
x
Old Mar 26th 2007, 1:47 pm

Thanks to both of you
Old Mar 26th 2007, 4:04 pm
Seasoned Maritimer

Tangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks to both of you
We had GB Liners, White & Co, PSS and Bishops Move.

GB Liners were cheapest but add in storage for 4 weeks and they were up with Whites. PSS were a little more expensive and Bishops Move were £1600 dearer than the next nearest.

We are going to go with Whites.
Old Mar 26th 2007, 4:38 pm

Originally Posted by Tangram
We had GB Liners, White & Co, PSS and Bishops Move.

GB Liners were cheapest but add in storage for 4 weeks and they were up with Whites. PSS were a little more expensive and Bishops Move were £1600 dearer than the next nearest.

We are going to go with Whites.
Do you have a contact for Whites please?
Old Mar 26th 2007, 5:52 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute

gloveman - where are you? - Whites have got 18 offices !
Here's the number for one nearest me that came out to give me a quote the other day, in Farnborough - Tel 01252 549212. They could direct you to another nearer branch as necessary.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.