Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

My shipping quotes are back

My shipping quotes are back

Old Jan 20th 2007, 3:10 pm

KRoss is an unknown quantity at this point
Default My shipping quotes are back

Moving a 3 seater couch, 2 seater couch, pine dresser, dining table and chairs and about 20 cartons of personal belongings from Peebles in the Scottish borders to London Ont.
Bishops move £1675 (285 cubic feet est)
Britannia £1430 (302 cubic feet est)
GB liners £1787 (no estimate of cubic feet)
Pickfords £1508 (271 cubic feet)
Clockwork - no call back after initial enquiry, had never heard of them so probably wouldnt have gone with them anyway.
Hope this may help someone, I think I have read every thread about shipping in the last 2 years!
Old Jan 20th 2007, 3:33 pm
It sure is a long road...

brummie_babe has a spectacular aura aboutbrummie_babe has a spectacular aura aboutbrummie_babe has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: My shipping quotes are back

Originally Posted by KRoss
Moving a 3 seater couch, 2 seater couch, pine dresser, dining table and chairs and about 20 cartons of personal belongings from Peebles in the Scottish borders to London Ont.
Clockwork - no call back after initial enquiry, had never heard of them so probably wouldnt have gone with them anyway.
Hope this may help someone, I think I have read every thread about shipping in the last 2 years!
Thank you for the information. I have a few questions for you:
1. Does your quote include a 'door to door' service or are you collecting your goods from customs?
2. Will they pack your goods?
3. Do you have to take out 'their' insurance...What are they charging?

I've just accepted a quote from Pickford’s...Door to door, them packing ,from Birmingham to Mississauga. They will clear customs, deliver the goods and take away the packaging in Canada. Insurance will be 3% of the valued goods.
The quote is based 200 cubic feet.
Total quote excluding insurance is £1,170.
Hope this helps.

Last edited by brummie_babe; Jan 20th 2007 at 4:02 pm. Reason: wrong quotation details
Old Jan 20th 2007, 4:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

YYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond repute

How on earth are you getting these excellent quotes! I contaced various companies a year ago and one came back to me saying they'd come round and drop off a container at my doorstep. I was to pack it, they'd pick it up, ship it make sure it got delivered at next doorstep and I'd unpack it.

They asked for over £3k for this. I laughed so hard I fell off my chair. Emailed them back and gave them a reality check asking how on earth they could send me such a ridiculous quote considering they had not even asked me how much I was shipping.

Never heard anything back from them. Can't even remember who they were.
Old Jan 20th 2007, 5:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

burton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond repute

Hi KRoss

We have had GB Liners around this morning and will get our quote in the next couple of days.

Out of all of the ones I have had contact via email GB have been the most approachable and easiest to get hold of over the phone.

They were as competitive as the rest of the company's I made enquiries with too and I felt comfortable with their overseas guy which is important for me as I will be left here to sort the move part out myself.

Gaynor
Old Jan 21st 2007, 12:45 pm

Originally Posted by brummie_babe
Thank you for the information. I have a few questions for you:
1. Does your quote include a 'door to door' service or are you collecting your goods from customs?
2. Will they pack your goods?
3. Do you have to take out 'their' insurance...What are they charging?

I've just accepted a quote from Pickford’s...Door to door, them packing ,from Birmingham to Mississauga. They will clear customs, deliver the goods and take away the packaging in Canada. Insurance will be 3% of the valued goods.
The quote is based 200 cubic feet.
Total quote excluding insurance is £1,170.
Hope this helps.
Yes all the quotes were full door to door with packing etc. The insurance ranged from 2.5 -4% but I am sure I have read on here that Letton Percival do marine insurance for around 1.5% so I am going to email them.
Old Jan 21st 2007, 5:00 pm
spring is coming yeha

steved61 is just really nicesteved61 is just really nicesteved61 is just really nicesteved61 is just really nicesteved61 is just really nicesteved61 is just really nicesteved61 is just really nicesteved61 is just really nicesteved61 is just really nicesteved61 is just really nice

Originally Posted by YYZlover
How on earth are you getting these excellent quotes! I contaced various companies a year ago and one came back to me saying they'd come round and drop off a container at my doorstep. I was to pack it, they'd pick it up, ship it make sure it got delivered at next doorstep and I'd unpack it.

They asked for over £3k for this. I laughed so hard I fell off my chair. Emailed them back and gave them a reality check asking how on earth they could send me such a ridiculous quote considering they had not even asked me how much I was shipping.

Never heard anything back from them. Can't even remember who they were.
Hi yyz lover, think you will find that these quotes or not for a full container they will be sharing containers we have had similar quotes to you for a 20' container

Steve
Old Jan 21st 2007, 5:28 pm
Prince Albert SK

handyandy is a jewel in the roughhandyandy is a jewel in the roughhandyandy is a jewel in the roughhandyandy is a jewel in the roughhandyandy is a jewel in the rough

Hi there
I am moving from Poole in Dorset to Prince Albert in SK. Quoted £4100 by PSS.
This is for door to door for a sole us 20 Ft container.
Still think it's excessive but it's the cheapest quote.

Think your quotes are what I dreamed of for shipping cost.

Good luck with the move

Andy
Old Jan 21st 2007, 6:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

burton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by handyandy
Hi there
I am moving from Poole in Dorset to Prince Albert in SK. Quoted £4100 by PSS.
This is for door to door for a sole us 20 Ft container.
Still think it's excessive but it's the cheapest quote.

Think your quotes are what I dreamed of for shipping cost.

Good luck with the move

Andy

Hi ANdy

Have you tried GB Liners ?

We have had them around just waiting for their final quote but were very good and really down to earth.

Gaynor
x
Old Jan 21st 2007, 7:14 pm
Prince Albert SK

handyandy is a jewel in the roughhandyandy is a jewel in the roughhandyandy is a jewel in the roughhandyandy is a jewel in the roughhandyandy is a jewel in the rough

No did not try them, became bored once I had the 6th one round.
And the quotes were way more than I expected.

PSS was the cheapest and the salesman/rep gave the best account of him self.

I am to near to the moving date now to start again.

Andy
Old Jan 21st 2007, 9:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

Southcote is a glorious beacon of lightSouthcote is a glorious beacon of lightSouthcote is a glorious beacon of lightSouthcote is a glorious beacon of lightSouthcote is a glorious beacon of lightSouthcote is a glorious beacon of lightSouthcote is a glorious beacon of lightSouthcote is a glorious beacon of lightSouthcote is a glorious beacon of lightSouthcote is a glorious beacon of lightSouthcote is a glorious beacon of light

How big is this compared to a 20 ft container ? I'm having trouble trying to work out the difference
Old Jan 21st 2007, 10:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Southcote
How big is this compared to a 20 ft container ? I'm having trouble trying to work out the difference
20 foot container = 1000 cubic feet.

If that helps you

Gaynor
Old Jan 22nd 2007, 10:52 am
Forum Regular

chrisi65 is a jewel in the roughchrisi65 is a jewel in the roughchrisi65 is a jewel in the roughchrisi65 is a jewel in the roughchrisi65 is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by burton bunch
20 foot container = 1000 cubic feet.

If that helps you

Gaynor
Hi, Ive had 2 quotes. We are looking at 20ft crate from Sheffield to Vancouver Island.. Whites quoted £4300. and Fox's quote is below:

Confirming our earlier telecon. Please note our charges for shipping a 20' container to Vancouver Island, Canada would be £3940 & £5691 for a 40' container. Packing would generally be included within these charges. Part loads / groupage shipments can be arranged, but costs are dependant on volumes sent. Nearer the time we would like to arrange for a survey to be carried out when you are more able to finalise your details so a more accurate quotation can be given. Marine Transit Insurance can be arranged @ 2.5% of Declared Value of Goods, plus Insurance Premium Tax @ 5%. If you would like to take this any further and possibly arrange for a survey to be carried out.

Not sure about how they work out the premium tax. any suggestions?
Think i will ask GB and pickfords.
Old Jan 22nd 2007, 11:13 am
Forum Regular

jood has a brilliant futurejood has a brilliant futurejood has a brilliant futurejood has a brilliant futurejood has a brilliant futurejood has a brilliant futurejood has a brilliant futurejood has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by chrisi65
Hi, Ive had 2 quotes. We are looking at 20ft crate from Sheffield to Vancouver Island.. Whites quoted £4300. and Fox's quote is below:

Confirming our earlier telecon. Please note our charges for shipping a 20' container to Vancouver Island, Canada would be £3940 & £5691 for a 40' container. Packing would generally be included within these charges. Part loads / groupage shipments can be arranged, but costs are dependant on volumes sent. Nearer the time we would like to arrange for a survey to be carried out when you are more able to finalise your details so a more accurate quotation can be given. Marine Transit Insurance can be arranged @ 2.5% of Declared Value of Goods, plus Insurance Premium Tax @ 5%. If you would like to take this any further and possibly arrange for a survey to be carried out.

Not sure about how they work out the premium tax. any suggestions?
Think i will ask GB and pickfords.

Just a word about the insurance.....we were told by our shippers (Robinson's) that marine insurance covers you only if the ship goes down and ALL your goods are lost!! In view of the fact that this rarely happens, we decided to take the risk and didn't insure.....all our Stuff arrived intact. Having said that, I'm just listening to the BBC
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/devon/6283455.stm

Also, regarding the "clearing customs" - yes, the shippers agents did that, but we still had to go down to the local customs office in Kitchener, to meet the delivery van, show them passports and manifest, to prove we were the owners, and hand over about $11 processing fee. They didn't even open the van doors. All quite painless.
Old Jan 22nd 2007, 12:29 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute

Mmm, and there was another cargo ship that went down off the south west coast last Wednesday I think - due to the gales - and the crew had to be rescued. I remember wondering then, if there were any of the Expat gang's possessions on board !
So whilst mega rare , two in one week does not bode well !!
Old Jan 22nd 2007, 12:29 pm

Originally Posted by jood
Just a word about the insurance.....we were told by our shippers (Robinson's) that marine insurance covers you only if the ship goes down and ALL your goods are lost!! In view of the fact that this rarely happens, we decided to take the risk and didn't insure.....all our Stuff arrived intact. Having said that, I'm just listening to the BBC
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/devon/6283455.stm

Also, regarding the "clearing customs" - yes, the shippers agents did that, but we still had to go down to the local customs office in Kitchener, to meet the delivery van, show them passports and manifest, to prove we were the owners, and hand over about $11 processing fee. They didn't even open the van doors. All quite painless.
I must admit that I am having serious thoughts about not insuring at all. The mostly personal stuff we are taking is only valuable to me in a sentimental way so couldnt be replaced. I also wonder at how easy the claim process is - insurers always seem happier to part you with your cash than pay out! It is still under debate......

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.