Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

My husband been laid off and we have three weeks before our work permits expires

My husband been laid off and we have three weeks before our work permits expires

Old Jul 3rd 2009, 10:57 pm
Just Joined

salemaince is on a distinguished road
Default Re: My husband been laid off and we have three weeks before our work permits expires

Originally Posted by jad n rich
I guess people assumed you knew a TWP could be just that - temporary.

We tried to get a TWP and it got pulled due to the work situation, so had to look at other options ( unless another job offer comes up ) . Could one of you become get a student visa, get skilled with the extra points you would now have for living in Canada for more than 12 months.... that sort of thing.

I know a few of the people who went out on TWP when we were supposed to go, now have awful financial situations to deal with so you have my sympathy, but i personally found the risks of TWP well discussed.

Yeah I think I'm gonna have to do that, apply for a student visa so he can get a open work permit...thanks for that

We're going to see our immigration consultant tomorrow to see if he can do anything for us as well
Old Jul 3rd 2009, 11:02 pm
Just Joined

Default Re: My husband been laid off and we have three weeks before our work permits expires

Originally Posted by nwtrucker
Apologies, I missed the cabinet maker bit. No chance of any other kind of joinery work?
He's trying for carpentry work as well...he's been a bus driver for 3yrs in the UK and has his class 1 HG licence as well, but the truck companies want 5 yrs or more UK driving experience to get a job here and he's only got 3 yrs
Old Jul 3rd 2009, 11:07 pm
Sawdust making harpy

mandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond repute

I absolutely feel for you but at this late stage there is not a magic wand that anyone on this forum can wave for you.

I know you would be hoping for someone to pop up and say "oooh we are employing cabinet makers - here have an interview" but its not going to happen.

LMO's are becoming more diffucult to get due to the fact that there are Canadians that are able to fill these places - there was a thread very recently about a guy whose company applied to extend the LMO so that the TWP could also be extended whilst the pr app was going through, but CIC refused to extend the LMO due to the very fact above - so they are in the same boat as yourselves.

See what your immigration lawyer says but harsh as it sounds you may have to prepare yourselves to go back, and start again when the recession is over.
Old Jul 3rd 2009, 11:18 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by mandymoochops
I absolutely feel for you but at this late stage there is not a magic wand that anyone on this forum can wave for you.

I know you would be hoping for someone to pop up and say "oooh we are employing cabinet makers - here have an interview" but its not going to happen.

LMO's are becoming more diffucult to get due to the fact that there are Canadians that are able to fill these places - there was a thread very recently about a guy whose company applied to extend the LMO so that the TWP could also be extended whilst the pr app was going through, but CIC refused to extend the LMO due to the very fact above - so they are in the same boat as yourselves.

See what your immigration lawyer says but harsh as it sounds you may have to prepare yourselves to go back, and start again when the recession is over.
Thanks for your advice but I feel that if we gave up now then we just wasted two years of our life and our children lives to give up our house to go back to living on the 'dole' in England cos that what's gonna happen until the recession is over which is even worse there than here..I still have my job but cos it an open work permit based on my husband skilled work permit it will expire at the end of this month...We will not and shall not give up, still thanks again for your advice
Old Jul 3rd 2009, 11:23 pm
Just Joined

I also read that they were closing the gates for anyone to apply to come to Canada soon so if we go back to England we're gonna have hell returning back here
Old Jul 3rd 2009, 11:29 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for everyone's comments but most of them just makes me wanna commit suicide as they so depressing
Old Jul 3rd 2009, 11:30 pm
Forum Regular

keznjj has much to be proud ofkeznjj has much to be proud ofkeznjj has much to be proud ofkeznjj has much to be proud ofkeznjj has much to be proud ofkeznjj has much to be proud ofkeznjj has much to be proud ofkeznjj has much to be proud ofkeznjj has much to be proud ofkeznjj has much to be proud ofkeznjj has much to be proud of

I cant offer any advice on this but I am so sorry for your predicament.

And for those out there posting negative uneccessary posts (what part of T did you not understand) there is no need for it. I think support is needed here not sarcasm.

I hope something comes up for you and things work out. I can only offer my hope for you...

I fully understand your need to stay for the opportunities for your kids. Could your husband maybe think about looking elsewhere for a job...
Old Jul 3rd 2009, 11:31 pm
Sawdust making harpy

mandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond repute

OK so the next thing would be to see if you can stay on as a visitor - possibilty of getting 6 month (please don't quote me I am far from knowledgeable about this)

Implications are schooling as I am not sure if the kids would be allowed to go to school whilst on a visitors visa (I strongly suspect not)

Even if none of you are working at least you are still here and can use this time to frantically look for another job.

This is not meant to be tongue in cheek but I heard somewhere that Tim Hortons is hiring and have LMO's for TWP's. However these are exactly that TWP's and do not come with the option of going for pr.

But say you went this route your hubby could then get an open work permit on the back of yours, then at least it gives breathing space and some form of income whilst he keeps his eye open for a carpenters job which ill allow you to get pr ????????
Old Jul 3rd 2009, 11:33 pm
Account Closed

jericho is an unknown quantity at this point

To be honest, I really dont understand why more isnt being made of this issue.

The fact that Canada has a duty to protect their own interests first is irrelevant. It's wrong, wrong, wrong to allow people to set up home here then ship them back off whenever it fits. TWP or no TWP, it's just wrong.

Canada wouldnt be where it is today without immigration (temporary and permanent) and I just think the whole situation stinks. The government should be doing more to assist those that are stuck in this quandry- for instance, opening up their WP to allow them to find work elsewhere.

It's all well and good people on here saying "you knew the risk" but hindsight is 20/20 and all that. A large % of us are here on TWP's and I would suspect the country would be in somewhat of a whole if everyone on TWP decided to uproot and return home.

To the OP, my only hope is that you're close to gaining PR.
Old Jul 3rd 2009, 11:38 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

The EI program has changes made to it a couple years back, and now those changes are being realized full force as many Canadians and permanent residents have been denied claims for one reason or another.

I was laid of in December and they denied my claim saying I did not have to change employers in August and had I stayed with that employer, I'd still have a job so they disqualified all hours from the previous job, so I would not qualify for EI.

Trust me lots of laid off workers right now who can't get EI for one reason or another. Its not just foreign workers.

Times are tough, sucks to be laid off for sure, but with so many PR's and citizens out of work it just makes little sense for employers to deal with the red tape involved with temp. workers, in good times they will but in bad times it makes far more sense to hire those who dont need any permits in order to work.
Old Jul 3rd 2009, 11:43 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by keznjj
I cant offer any advice on this but I am so sorry for your predicament.

And for those out there posting negative uneccessary posts (what part of T did you not understand) there is no need for it. I think support is needed here not sarcasm.

I hope something comes up for you and things work out. I can only offer my hope for you...

I fully understand your need to stay for the opportunities for your kids. Could your husband maybe think about looking elsewhere for a job...

Yeah he's applying for a job as a windshield fitter as well as truck driving, bus driving and for more cabinet makers jobs... he applied for a cabinetmaker job and the owner of the furniture company hasn't got any work at the mo but he's hopefully will be getting some extra work in a few weeks so he'll contact my husband as soon as he gets it, so there's some hope I suppose
Old Jul 3rd 2009, 11:44 pm
Banned

Brownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond repute

How long is your SOWP for? You can continue working even though your husband is not.
Old Jul 3rd 2009, 11:50 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by jericho
To be honest, I really dont understand why more isnt being made of this issue.

The fact that Canada has a duty to protect their own interests first is irrelevant. It's wrong, wrong, wrong to allow people to set up home here then ship them back off whenever it fits. TWP or no TWP, it's just wrong.

Canada wouldnt be where it is today without immigration (temporary and permanent) and I just think the whole situation stinks. The government should be doing more to assist those that are stuck in this quandry- for instance, opening up their WP to allow them to find work elsewhere.

It's all well and good people on here saying "you knew the risk" but hindsight is 20/20 and all that. A large % of us are here on TWP's and I would suspect the country would be in somewhat of a whole if everyone on TWP decided to uproot and return home.

To the OP, my only hope is that you're close to gaining PR.
You must have read my mind :0 I thought of all that and even said so to my husband ...it's a bummer

can we still apply for PR?..we didn't know that we could apply for it even tho we've been living here nearly two years, I'm gonna ask our immigration consultant that tomorrow and he'd better come up with some good answers,we paid him enough :0
Old Jul 3rd 2009, 11:51 pm
Pea Brain

R I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jericho
It's hardly 20/20 hindsight, is it? You know it's a temporary status before you even arrive. How you manage that situation is entirely down to yourself - no job is ever guaranteed, nor is PR, alternative LMO's or any other option.

I think you're overstating the value of TWP holders to the Canadian economy, and the likelihood of your scenario happening is pretty slim, and hardly relevant to the OP's situation.
Old Jul 3rd 2009, 11:56 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Brownstar
How long is your SOWP for? You can continue working even though your husband is not.
Unfortunately three weeks...we applied for WP extension but he got laid off before it went through, but then we're not sure if it did go through in time cos our immigration consultant didn't tell us how far our WP extension had got to...hmmm, gonna ask some serious questions tomorrow when we meet

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.