Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

My husband been laid off and we have three weeks before our work permits expires

My husband been laid off and we have three weeks before our work permits expires

Old Jul 3rd 2009, 10:00 pm
Just Joined

salemaince is on a distinguished road
Default My husband been laid off and we have three weeks before our work permits expires

My husband got laid off from his job as a cabinet maker in Calgary and now we only have three weeks left on our work permit before it expires. We've been looking for jobs constantly but it's hard and we didn't get any employment insurance because of him being locked in with his recent employers. They treated him unfairly because they even started to help us to get our work permit extended and then they laid him off. We've just bought a new house and I have four kids. I read on Citizen and Immigration website that after the work permit expires we have up to 90 days to have it renewed.

We're so stressed about this and we don't know what to do....I find that this system is so unfair, does these governments want to wait until some one commits suicide before they look into the problems foreign workers face or what?? I'm a british citizen and Canada is still ruled under the Queen yet we're still going through hell

We're still hoping that a job might turn up for us to continue living here and to get our PR
Old Jul 3rd 2009, 10:03 pm
Seasoned Maritimer

Tangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: My husband been laid off and we have three weeks before our work permits expires

Originally Posted by salemaince
I'm a british citizen and Canada is still ruled under the Queen
Sympathy for your situation, but come on, that's just cr@p.
Old Jul 3rd 2009, 10:13 pm
Just Joined

Default Re: My husband been laid off and we have three weeks before our work permits expires

why would you say that???
Old Jul 3rd 2009, 10:13 pm
Account Closed

fledermaus is an unknown quantity at this point

I sympathise too as it's a terrible situation to be in, but I don't see why Canada should have to do anything. It's a sign of the times, there are increasing numbers of people posting on here that they have lost their jobs and have to return as the jobs that are here are going to Canadians and PRs.

As temporary workers there is always the risk that you would have to go back to the UK. When we came on a study permit until we had PR we made sure we had enough $$ to go back, just in case PR was refused. The EI situation is hard for many Canadians too, it's not just foreign workers.
Old Jul 3rd 2009, 10:16 pm
Banned

Brownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond repute

I feel for you situation but that is the risk you take coming on a TWP and buying a house, I hope you get something sorted soon.
Old Jul 3rd 2009, 10:30 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

why would you say that???
You need to ask? What's her royal parasitiness got to do with anything...

(Sorry about your situation tho, that sucks bigtime)
Old Jul 3rd 2009, 10:38 pm
Just Joined

We weren't told of the risk buying a home while on TWP ...they weren't fussy about taking our deposit and giving us a mortgage tho !!! MY husband and I are both in our mid 40's with 2 teenagers and 2 older kids....We left the UK cos they were desperate for workers in Canada and we just wanted to give our kids a better life..My eldest daughter couldn't even get a job in McDonald's in England all because she was a uni student and they wanted some one fulltime... it was even harder due to the EU opening the European borders for all to move and work in the UK which made it even harder for the kids to get jobs there....I know it's cos of the recession why all this is happening but I don't know what else to do cos if we had to go back, we would be going back to nothing!!! We gave up everything we owned back in England to get a better life here!!
Old Jul 3rd 2009, 10:41 pm
Banned

Brownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond repute

We weren't told of the risk buying a home while on TWP
I'm sorry and I guess you are quite emotional at the moment but what part of 'Temporary' didn't you understand?
Old Jul 3rd 2009, 10:45 pm
Forum Regular

nwtrucker will become famous soon enoughnwtrucker will become famous soon enough

I have every sympathy for your predicament. Could the employers not have waited a bit longer knowing what a dire position this was going to put you in?
What job is he doing? I hope things work out for you.
Old Jul 3rd 2009, 10:46 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

We weren't told of the risk buying a home while on TWP ...they weren't fussy about taking our deposit and giving us a mortgage tho !!! MY husband and I are both in our mid 40's with 2 teenagers and 2 older kids....We left the UK cos they were desperate for workers in Canada and we just wanted to give our kids a better life..My eldest daughter couldn't even get a job in McDonald's in England all because she was a uni student and they wanted some one fulltime... it was even harder due to the EU opening the European borders for all to move and work in the UK which made it even harder for the kids to get jobs there....I know it's cos of the recession why all this is happening but I don't know what else to do cos if we had to go back, we would be going back to nothing!!! We gave up everything we owned back in England to get a better life here!!
I know this isn't helpful - but the clue is in the T of TWP. More helpfully - can you be flexible about where you work - you might have better luck in the less harder hit provinces and you can rent your house out if you can't sell it. Can you work if necessary?
Old Jul 3rd 2009, 10:47 pm

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

I'm sorry for your situation but I agree with what everyone else has said. You took a risk buying a house on a TWP. Is the TWP for the company that your DH has been laid off from or is it an open work permit? Have you sent off for it to be renewed already?

There is no guarantee that you'll get the TWP extended, especially in this economic climate. As for jobs, there is a kitchen maker here that is building a new showroom - Robco kitchens, give them a call, also Westridge cabinets here in town often advertise, I know it's a long commute but hey ho!
Old Jul 3rd 2009, 10:48 pm
Forum Regular

nwtrucker will become famous soon enoughnwtrucker will become famous soon enough

Apologies, I missed the cabinet maker bit. No chance of any other kind of joinery work?
Old Jul 3rd 2009, 10:48 pm
Just Joined

We applied for the PNP program and was turned down due to the employers giving the wrong info so we were advised by our immigration consultant to apply for the Canadian experience class and then they laid my husband off so we weren't gonna just buy a house and stay until our temporary work permit runs out, sorry I didn't explain myself very well
Old Jul 3rd 2009, 10:53 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

We weren't told of the risk buying a home while on TWP
I guess people assumed you knew a TWP could be just that - temporary.

We tried to get a TWP and it got pulled due to the work situation, so had to look at other options ( unless another job offer comes up ) . Could one of you become get a student visa, get skilled with the extra points you would now have for living in Canada for more than 12 months.... that sort of thing.

I know a few of the people who went out on TWP when we were supposed to go, now have awful financial situations to deal with so you have my sympathy, but i personally found the risks of TWP well discussed.
Old Jul 3rd 2009, 10:53 pm
Just Joined

It was the locked in work permit with the employer for the length of the contract, I had and still have an open WP until it expires...My husband worked in Calgary, AB as a Cabinetmaker

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.