Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

To my fellow Torontarians....is it me or.....

To my fellow Torontarians....is it me or.....

Old Sep 16th 2011, 2:46 pm
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: To my fellow Torontarians....is it me or.....

Originally Posted by JamesM
I was surprised at how many homeless people there were when I went over to Victoria on Vancouver Island. It seems that they will happily plant themselves anywhere in Canada not restrict themselves to the large cities.
Victoria is the capital of BC isnt it, not some hokey 2 horse town?

If I was homeless in Canada I too would head for somewhere with the mildest climate... Really the only thing stopping many people from moving to Victoria is the employment prospects vs the cost of property there, if you are homeless that not really an issue...
Old Sep 16th 2011, 4:13 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
Compared to London, Toronto does have a huge homeless population, many of them deranged. So too does Vancouver, we might consider this to be a feature of Canada vs. the UK. I don't know that Toronto's dirtier though, I don't see any difference there. Transit is good if you live along one of the three streets with the subway (four if you count the line that goes to Mel Lastman's house but that's way up north and not much help). It's not so good if you have to travel east/west along another street than Bloor as the trams are very weather and traffic prone.
I don't think that really holds up. In this article (it is the Guardian so it must be right) http://www.guardian.co.uk/society/20...-homeless-rise there were 4,672 rough sleepers counted in London in one night. This was 2009 but I can't think it has got any better.

This report on Vancouver http://www.metrovancouver.org/planni...se%20FINAL.pdf states the number of rough sleepers counted in Vancouver as 731.

Granted that London is a bigger metropolitan area than Vancouver, but at about 8 million people to 2.5 million people I don't see how you can claim Vancouver has a huge homeless population compared to London. If Vancouver had an equal proportion of rough sleepers as London you would have expected about 1,450 to be found. Double the actual number.
Old Sep 16th 2011, 4:20 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JonboyE
I don't see how you can claim Vancouver has a huge homeless population compared to London.
I don't believe I did claim that. One thinks of Vancouver as having a lot of homeless beggars, just as one thinks of it as being rainy, but that may just be the image of the place; something brought about by advertising and promotion.

Toronto vs. London, no contest, lots of natives in Toronto.
Old Sep 16th 2011, 4:21 pm
Seasoned Maritimer

Tangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond repute

I don't believe I did claim that. One thinks of Vancouver as having a lot of homeless beggars, just as one thinks of it as being a rainy place, but that may just be the image of the place; something brought about by advertising and promotion.

Toronto vs. London, no contest, lots of natives in Toronto.
BC advertises for, and promotes, homeless people now ?
Old Sep 16th 2011, 4:24 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tangram
BC advertises for, and promotes, homeless people now ?
Who knows. I suppose I should go and look but even with a graduation to attend I'm not inspired to visit.

"Compared to London, Toronto does have a huge homeless population, many of them deranged. So too does Vancouver"

I suppose the issue here is whether or not the full stop after deranged ends the comparison with London. I wouldn't for a moment compare Vancouver and London and am a bit startled that anyone would.

Last edited by dbd33; Sep 16th 2011 at 4:26 pm.
Old Sep 16th 2011, 8:22 pm

lmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond repute

Something else to improve the quality of life in Toronto:

http://www.thestar.com/news/transpor...d-transit?bn=1

Just depressing.
Old Sep 17th 2011, 4:06 am
BE Forum Addict

London Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lmartin999
Something else to improve the quality of life in Toronto:

http://www.thestar.com/news/transpor...d-transit?bn=1

Just depressing.
I'm curious. Toronto's deficit is supposedly $750m or something like that. How does that compare with cities of the same size in the western world? Natch, it's wise to clear one's debts but over a manageable period of time. What's Vancouver's status?

Just wondering how much in the shithole TO is, supposedly, from a financial perspective.
Old Sep 17th 2011, 4:50 am
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by London Mike
I'm curious. Toronto's deficit is supposedly $750m or something like that. How does that compare with cities of the same size in the western world? Natch, it's wise to clear one's debts but over a manageable period of time. What's Vancouver's status?

Just wondering how much in the shithole TO is, supposedly, from a financial perspective.
On a positive note my company is relocating. I will now be able to see my office from my Condo window. An 8 minute walk with the new bridge from Fort York to Front.

Add this to the bar on my ground floor and I have worked out that during the winter I will be able to venture outside just 16 minutes a day and never have to leave the same two blocks all season should I choose.

I truly believe it would have been difficult to foster this life style in many other cities.
Old Sep 17th 2011, 5:50 am
Best Place on Earth- LMAO

jandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by JonboyE
I don't think that really holds up. In this article (it is the Guardian so it must be right) http://www.guardian.co.uk/society/20...-homeless-rise there were 4,672 rough sleepers counted in London in one night. This was 2009 but I can't think it has got any better.

This report on Vancouver http://www.metrovancouver.org/planni...se%20FINAL.pdf states the number of rough sleepers counted in Vancouver as 731.

Granted that London is a bigger metropolitan area than Vancouver, but at about 8 million people to 2.5 million people I don't see how you can claim Vancouver has a huge homeless population compared to London. If Vancouver had an equal proportion of rough sleepers as London you would have expected about 1,450 to be found. Double the actual number.
The number of rough sleepers appears to have gone way up in London and down in Vancouver. However the number of people using emergency shelters in Vancouver has gone up apparently.

http://www.vancouversun.com/news/Num...515/story.html
Old Sep 17th 2011, 12:52 pm

lmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JamesM
On a positive note my company is relocating. I will now be able to see my office from my Condo window. An 8 minute walk with the new bridge from Fort York to Front.

Add this to the bar on my ground floor and I have worked out that during the winter I will be able to venture outside just 16 minutes a day and never have to leave the same two blocks all season should I choose.

I truly believe it would have been difficult to foster this life style in many other cities.
B'strd. I meanwhile am finally giving in and despite paying a premium to live one min from a subway station am going to start driving to work as the bus part of my journey is just so bad.

As for the deficit, if Ford had not cancelled the vehicle registration tax and not gone for a 0% property tax increase there wouldn't be a problem.
Old Sep 17th 2011, 5:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by britishvixen21
Is the city really getting shit!

When i moved here 9 years ago it was a great city, not to crowded, ok infrastructure, nice people.

I find recently that people are so mean and passive aggressive, the subways system is a joke, we have a mayor that looks like he just won a pie eating contest and the city just seems to be going to the shitter.

Everyone wants to raise prices on everything yet my wages are not going up.

I dont know, maybe its me, but has anyone else noticed this shift in what i thought was a great city? or is it me? is it time for me to go home? LOL
There are a few factors. There's a global recession and so government revenues are down. The world is becoming more urban. 100,000 people move into the Toronto region annually and so there is a greater demand for services - traffic congestion increases as does congestion on public transportation. In this respect, Toronto is no different than other major cities. I've lived in the Washington DC area for the past 13 years and I've experienced gradually increasing traffic congestion each year. Subway service has also deteriorated. You don't tend to notice from one year to the next but when viewed over multiple years, the changes are more obvious. And it's not just DC - I've noticed the same thing in other east coast cities e.g. Baltimore, Philadelphia, and New York.

I lived in Toronto 1989-1996. I still go back to visit fairly frequently (most recently in March this year) and there's no doubt that traffic and public transportation congestion has increased since I left in 1996. It doesn't help that the TTC (albeit under financial pressure) is proposing fare hikes, job losses and increased wait times. Toronto also does not have the infrastructure (including a subway system) that is adequate for a city of its size and growth rate. Consider that Washington DC has 86 subway stations on 106 miles of track. I would expect Toronto to beat those numbers - yet it has only 69 stations on only 43 miles of track! That's just not good enough.

There have been years of underinvestment by all levels of government - city, provincial and federal. It's now time to start trying to catch up or things will just continue to get worse.

Last edited by MarylandNed; Sep 17th 2011 at 5:49 pm.
Old Sep 17th 2011, 5:47 pm
Assimilated Pauper

We've been downtown the past two evenings. Toronto seems unchanged. Bank still inefficient. Beach still polluted. Traffic still terrible. Food still wonderful.
Old Sep 17th 2011, 5:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

We've been downtown the past two evenings. Toronto seems unchanged. Bank still inefficient. Beach still polluted. Traffic still terrible. Food still wonderful.
The beaches have improved dramatically over recent years and are cleaner and safer than many more popular spots.

http://www.thestar.com/news/article/...oronto-beaches
Old Sep 17th 2011, 9:48 pm
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by MarylandNed
The beaches have improved dramatically over recent years and are cleaner and safer than many more popular spots.

http://www.thestar.com/news/article/...oronto-beaches
So I've been reading since I've arrived. There is, however, still a stready trickle of raw sewage flowing into the lake. The dog still gets sick if he swims in the water and I still see plenty of rubbish. The beaches must have been awful in the seventies.
Old Sep 19th 2011, 2:46 pm
Forum Regular

humanist is a name known to allhumanist is a name known to allhumanist is a name known to allhumanist is a name known to allhumanist is a name known to allhumanist is a name known to allhumanist is a name known to allhumanist is a name known to allhumanist is a name known to allhumanist is a name known to allhumanist is a name known to all

Originally Posted by dgagitw
Agreed that increasing housing density will make transport more painful in Toronto but I wouldn't hold up London as an example of how to do it right. Anyone who's ever taken the Northern or Central lines to work in the morning would think that the crush on the Yonge line was a bit of light relief...

Couldn't agree with this more! I commuted using the Northern line for 10 years, now I take the University Line & Bloor Line in Toronto and the subway system here is soooo much better.

I always get a seat and it's air conditioned, in London I was usually pressed up against a bunch of sweaty people for half an hour before getting to work.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.