Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

To my fellow Torontarians....is it me or.....

To my fellow Torontarians....is it me or.....

Old Sep 15th 2011, 1:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

britishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond repute
Default To my fellow Torontarians....is it me or.....

Is the city really getting shit!

When i moved here 9 years ago it was a great city, not to crowded, ok infrastructure, nice people.

I find recently that people are so mean and passive aggressive, the subways system is a joke, we have a mayor that looks like he just won a pie eating contest and the city just seems to be going to the shitter.

Everyone wants to raise prices on everything yet my wages are not going up.

I dont know, maybe its me, but has anyone else noticed this shift in what i thought was a great city? or is it me? is it time for me to go home? LOL
Old Sep 15th 2011, 1:23 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: To my fellow Torontarians....is it me or.....

The cost of living pressure isnt just Toronto.
Old Sep 15th 2011, 1:26 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by britishvixen21

When i moved here 9 years ago it was a great city, not to crowded, ok infrastructure, nice people.

I find recently that people are so mean and passive aggressive, the subways system is a joke, we have a mayor that looks like he just won a pie eating contest and the city just seems to be going to the shitter.

I dont know, maybe its me, but has anyone else noticed this shift in what i thought was a great city? or is it me? is it time for me to go home? LOL
One wonders what bearing his weight is upon his ability to be mayor.
Old Sep 15th 2011, 1:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

britishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
Well nothing really but he really is a terrible mayor, to me his fat, badly dressed demeanour just reflects on his terribly poor decisions as mayor. its like you look like a mess, act like a mess! I feel sorry for the poor fella whos going to have to clean up his mess in 4 years.
Old Sep 15th 2011, 1:34 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Oh, I think that's a serious consideration. I wouldn't hire someone as a programmer or an accountant, or anything really, if they were as fat as he is. My line of thought is that, if a person can't gain control over their own body, they're not likely to be able to work anything external to it. It's a bit like considering an applicant with piss stained trousers, poor aim in that regard doesn't directly prevent someone from doing sums but I'd rather a tax advisor who was cleaner.
Old Sep 15th 2011, 1:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by iaink
The cost of living pressure isnt just Toronto.
Yes, im aware of that, but ive never lived anywhere else so im asking SPECIFICALLY Torontorians.
Old Sep 15th 2011, 1:38 pm
Part Time Poster

MikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond repute

In my view its simple

If you can't manage or properly take care of your own body, why should I trust you with anything else!

In the same vein as messy desk, messy mind, messy disorganized work..

What you see is what you get!

Last edited by MikeUK; Sep 15th 2011 at 1:48 pm.
Old Sep 15th 2011, 1:46 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Well nothing really but he really is a terrible mayor, to me his fat, badly dressed demeanour just reflects on his terribly poor decisions as mayor. its like you look like a mess, act like a mess! I feel sorry for the poor fella whos going to have to clean up his mess in 4 years.
Im guessing you didnt vote for him

Democracy sux when the other guy gets in.
Old Sep 15th 2011, 1:51 pm
Part Time Poster

MikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond repute

To be honest Mr Ford was all about getting the ‘gravy’ out of the council..

The consultants have been called in (KPMG) and we seem to be lacking in excess gravy...

Now it cuts, 10% in all departments, and a quite impressive drop in popularity
Old Sep 15th 2011, 1:53 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

Originally Posted by MikeUK
To be honest Mr Ford was all about getting the ‘gravy’ out of the council..

The consultants have been called in (KPMG) and we seem to be lacking in excess gravy...

Now it cuts, 10% in all departments, and a quite impressive drop in popularity
Are you saying that the "gravy" was nothing but political rhetoric and it was never really there, so now he has to make cuts to services that actually affect people in order to spend less as promised?

Well, KPMG did OK out of it if no one else. Quelle surprise.

Last edited by iaink; Sep 15th 2011 at 1:55 pm.
Old Sep 15th 2011, 2:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

LOL I wasnt able to vote only been a citizen a month but no i wouldnt have done. This guy had no frickin clue about politics and the only gravy hes ever seen is the stain down the front of his crumpled shirt LOL from where he ate at the chip truck outside city hall at lunch.

(they do, do good fries though, gotta say)
Old Sep 15th 2011, 2:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

dgagitw has a reputation beyond reputedgagitw has a reputation beyond reputedgagitw has a reputation beyond reputedgagitw has a reputation beyond reputedgagitw has a reputation beyond reputedgagitw has a reputation beyond reputedgagitw has a reputation beyond reputedgagitw has a reputation beyond reputedgagitw has a reputation beyond reputedgagitw has a reputation beyond reputedgagitw has a reputation beyond repute

It's all relative - compared to London or New York, Toronto still isn't crowded and does have ok infrastructure. I find people pretty much the same wherever I go though: most people are basically nice once you get to know them. Some are genuine jerks for sure, but they're a very small minority.
Old Sep 15th 2011, 2:34 pm
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute

Toronto hasn't moved all that much in 6 years for me- although I had an absence during that time.

I do think the city will gradually lose it's way in standard of living tables. This is based on the fact that so much of it is now being lined up for high rise condo's and there are so many being built. On it's own this does not mean much but without additional roads or additional subway lines getting from A to B will simply be more and more time consuming.

This is where I feel London has really stolen a march on it's North American counterparts because of it's investment in the tube network and crossrail.
Old Sep 15th 2011, 2:37 pm
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

It's just you. Toronto has always been a bit shit.
Old Sep 15th 2011, 2:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

dgagitw has a reputation beyond reputedgagitw has a reputation beyond reputedgagitw has a reputation beyond reputedgagitw has a reputation beyond reputedgagitw has a reputation beyond reputedgagitw has a reputation beyond reputedgagitw has a reputation beyond reputedgagitw has a reputation beyond reputedgagitw has a reputation beyond reputedgagitw has a reputation beyond reputedgagitw has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JamesM
where I feel London has really stolen a march on it's North American counterparts because of it's investment in the tube network and crossrail.
Agreed that increasing housing density will make transport more painful in Toronto but I wouldn't hold up London as an example of how to do it right. Anyone who's ever taken the Northern or Central lines to work in the morning would think that the crush on the Yonge line was a bit of light relief...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.