Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

MSP Card change after PR

MSP Card change after PR

Old Jan 17th 2014, 9:28 pm
Just Joined

Mimzy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default MSP Card change after PR

First of all I would like to thank everyone on this forum for their contribution.
There is a wealth of helpful information here that have helped us since we started making plans to move to Canada in 2012.

We got our COPR on Dec 27 and we landed on the same day. We have been in Canada (Vancouver) since August 2012 on a work permit.

We have managed to get new SIN #s and also for the kids.
We tried to get out Drivers License changed but the lady said we should come back when receive our PR cards.

My question is, do we need to change our MSP cards as well, I am hoping someone will be able to help.

How do we go about this if we need to.
I have looked at the MSP website but it does not mention anything about changing from TWP to PR.

I have looked through the thread but did not find any information regarding this.
Old Jan 17th 2014, 9:33 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: MSP Card change after PR

Originally Posted by Mimzy
First of all I would like to thank everyone on this forum for their contribution.
There is a wealth of helpful information here that have helped us since we started making plans to move to Canada in 2012.

We got our COPR on Dec 27 and we landed on the same day. We have been in Canada (Vancouver) since August 2012 on a work permit.

We have managed to get new SIN #s and also for the kids.
We tried to get out Drivers License changed but the lady said we should come back when receive our PR cards.

My question is, do we need to change our MSP cards as well, I am hoping someone will be able to help.

How do we go about this if we need to.

I have looked at the MSP website but it does not mention anything about changing from TWP to PR.

I have looked through the thread but did not find any information regarding this.
I know these things are Province specific, but why would you need to change your driving licence? Assuming that an MSP card is something like an OHIP card here, again, why do you need to change it?
Old Jan 17th 2014, 10:02 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
I know these things are Province specific, but why would you need to change your driving licence? Assuming that an MSP card is something like an OHIP card here, again, why do you need to change it?

Our drivers licenses expire sometime this year, they were issued only for 2 years because we were on a work permit. With PR, drivers licenses are issued for 5 years. I 'm guessing the same thing goes for the MSP card since it has an expiry date.
Old Jan 17th 2014, 10:05 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Our drivers licenses expire sometime this year, they were issued only for 2 years because we were on a work permit. With PR, drivers licenses are issued for 5 years. I 'm guessing the same thing goes for the MSP card since it has an expiry date.
Ok. I don't think that applies in Ontario for example. Or didn't in the distant past before we got PR the first time. That was in 1984 IIRC.
Old Jan 17th 2014, 10:53 pm
Pea Brain

R I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond repute

MSP cards and driving licence cards are combined in BC now. Single card to cover both. Can't remember the date, but at some point you'll be obliged to use the new single card. As your status has changed recently you may as well go to a driving licence issuing office and get it all updated.
Old Jan 17th 2014, 10:56 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

My first licence was for two years even though I was a PR. I don't think it is discrimination against you for being here on a TWP.

For MSP I suspect that all you need to do is to inform them you are now PRs. status.

Medical Services Plan
PO Box 9035 Stn Prov Govt
Victoria, B.C. V8W 9E3
Vancouver: 604 683-7151
Other : Toll-free: 1 800 663-7100
Old Jan 17th 2014, 11:00 pm
Just Joined

Thank you R I C H and JonBoyE.

I will send a letter to the MSP office to let them know we are PR now and get Driver's License changed when we get the PR cards. Hopefully, I will be able to combine both then.