Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Youth/care work with children in Alberta

Youth/care work with children in Alberta

Old Dec 18th 2013, 7:44 pm
Bex in the city

beckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Youth/care work with children in Alberta

Hi

Just wondering if anyone does this line of work in Alberta and let me know how easy it is to get a foot in the door. I have looked a craigslist and seen what they need and it doesn't look too bad although I am only going to be on a 1 year IEC visa with the prospect of a 2nd year as well.

I have 18months full time experience as a residential care worker (2years by the time I go to Canada) and over 2 years as a part time youth support worker. My training is all up to date and I competed my NVQ level 3 in October. I have a degree but it's not in a related subject (which I had stuck with graphic design now seeing how much it pays in Canada but it wasn't for me)!

My choices are BC and Alberta but I have spoken to someone doing similar work there.

I just want to know this just not a complete no for me as I would be disappointed if I went out and I was unable to stay in my line of work as I get a lot of fulfilment out of it and have worked hard to get in the UK (volunteer work, bank work etc)

Any help appreciated or if there is a relevant topic on social care please direct me to it

Thanks
Old Dec 19th 2013, 4:02 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Youth/care work with children in Alberta

Originally Posted by beckiwoo
Hi

Just wondering if anyone does this line of work in Alberta and let me know how easy it is to get a foot in the door. I have looked a craigslist and seen what they need and it doesn't look too bad although I am only going to be on a 1 year IEC visa with the prospect of a 2nd year as well.

I have 18months full time experience as a residential care worker (2years by the time I go to Canada) and over 2 years as a part time youth support worker. My training is all up to date and I competed my NVQ level 3 in October. I have a degree but it's not in a related subject (which I had stuck with graphic design now seeing how much it pays in Canada but it wasn't for me)!

My choices are BC and Alberta but I have spoken to someone doing similar work there.

I just want to know this just not a complete no for me as I would be disappointed if I went out and I was unable to stay in my line of work as I get a lot of fulfilment out of it and have worked hard to get in the UK (volunteer work, bank work etc)

Any help appreciated or if there is a relevant topic on social care please direct me to it

Thanks
Whilst it isn't a regulated occupation in Alberta, it seems from job advertisements that some or all of the following qualifications are required.
Credentials (certificates, licences, memberships, courses, etc.)

Child and Youth Care Worker (CCW/CYW) Diploma; Social Service Worker (SSW) Diploma; Community Support Worker (CSW) Diploma; Human Services Diploma; First Aid Certificate
Are your qualifications recognised in Canada?
Old Dec 19th 2013, 7:08 am
Bex in the city

beckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Siouxie
Whilst it isn't a regulated occupation in Alberta, it seems from job advertisements that some or all of the following qualifications are required.
Credentials (certificates, licences, memberships, courses, etc.)

Child and Youth Care Worker (CCW/CYW) Diploma; Social Service Worker (SSW) Diploma; Community Support Worker (CSW) Diploma; Human Services Diploma; First Aid Certificate
Are your qualifications recognised in Canada?

My NVQ is a level 3 diploma (children's and young persons workforce) it takes up to a year to do and has to be done by anyone working with children (teaching assistants, res carers, child carers, foster carers etc)

In the UK that's the only mandatory qualification you have to do for this sort of work. Surely in Alberta they would of come across UK applicants with this qualification?

I am up to date with my food hygiene, first aid, restraint training, safeguarding etc these I repeat every 2-3 years.

Happy to complete extra training along side my work though
Old Dec 19th 2013, 10:01 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Surely in Alberta they would of come across UK applicants with this qualification?

Highly unlikely, most Canadians wouldn't know what an NVQ is if it jumped up and bit them on the a*&e.

Given the propensity for non Canadian qualifications being recognised (bear in mind most peeps with a UK degree still have to sit equivalency exams or get licensed, even though you'd think a degree would be a fairly universal qualification), and the fact that a lot of occupations seem be regulated in Canada (even somebody like a hairdresser has to sit an exam, their NVQ isn't enough), as Siouxie said you'll need to be prepared to get your qualifications recognised.

You could try applying for jobs but if you don't have any luck, you may need to go to an organisation like WES and get your credentials assessed so that Canadians can understand what they are.

Good luck.
Old Dec 19th 2013, 10:20 am
Bex in the city

Originally Posted by christmasoompa

You could try applying for jobs but if you don't have any luck, you may need to go to an organisation like WES and get your credentials assessed so that Canadians can understand what they are.
I'll email some companies when I get my LOI, my NVQ comes with a list of all the units I have competed (sort of transcript)

How much will it roughly cost for these people to 'translate' my certificates into Canadian language?
Old Dec 19th 2013, 10:22 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

I'll email some companies when I get my LOI, my NVQ comes with a list of all the units I have competed (sort of transcript)

How much will it roughly cost for these people to 'translate' my certificates into Canadian language?
I wouldn't bother emailing, most just won't respond - pick up the phone and give them a call.

And no idea I'm afraid, I don't think it's a huge amount though, but have a look on their website.

Good luck.
Old Dec 19th 2013, 10:26 am
Bex in the city

I wouldn't bother emailing, most just won't respond - pick up the phone and give them a call.

And no idea I'm afraid, I don't think it's a huge amount though, but have a look on their website.

Good luck.

Bit difficult when I'm in the UK at the moment

Out of interest if this all goes t'ts up, are there any jobs out there that don't need qualifications: i.e road sweeper. There is no point in me having a work visa if I can't get any work. May as well stay here and go out as a tourist!

Update: I've emailed them to see if they can translate NVQs as it looks like they just concentrate on degrees/ masters and other higher education qualifications but it is between $115-$250 for them to look at each document :O.

Thanks anyway but already I feel defeated

Last edited by beckiwoo; Dec 19th 2013 at 10:35 am.
Old Dec 19th 2013, 10:34 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Bit difficult when I'm in the UK at the moment

Out of interest if this all goes t'ts up, are there any jobs out there that don't need qualifications: i.e road sweeper. There is no point in me having a work visa if I can't get any work. May as well stay here and go out as a tourist!
Why is it difficult?! For most other visas, (a normal TWP etc), people need a job offer before they move, and they get that from the UK. But not by emailing - if you read the job hunting section of the Wiki then it'll explain how differently they do things in Canada and how personal contact is a must. Emails are ignored 9 times out of 10, but a phone call (or even better, a visit) will get results.

Have a read of the Wiki, it has tips on phoning, here's an article to get you started - http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Canada_is_different!!! You can certainly try emailing, but just wanted to warn you that you will get a better result by picking up the phone.

And jobs wise, Canada is pretty fixated on qualifications. Even admin positions seem to need a degree! But certainly casual work (bar work, retails, etc) should be ok, and you may find that you can get care work anyway, it's just that you'll need to be prepared for employers not having a clue what a NVQ is. So if you can get it assessed before you go, it'll make it easier for them to hire you.

HTH, good luck.
Old Dec 19th 2013, 10:45 am
Bex in the city

Why is it difficult?! For most other visas, (a normal TWP etc), people need a job offer before they move, and they get that from the UK. But not by emailing - if you read the job hunting section of the Wiki then it'll explain how differently they do things in Canada and how personal contact is a must. Emails are ignored 9 times out of 10, but a phone call (or even better, a visit) will get results.

Have a read of the Wiki, it has tips on phoning, here's an article to get you started - http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Canada_is_different!!! You can certainly try emailing, but just wanted to warn you that you will get a better result by picking up the phone.

And jobs wise, Canada is pretty fixated on qualifications. Even admin positions seem to need a degree! But certainly casual work (bar work, retails, etc) should be ok, and you may find that you can get care work anyway, it's just that you'll need to be prepared for employers not having a clue what a NVQ is. So if you can get it assessed before you go, it'll make it easier for them to hire you.

HTH, good luck.
Wow just skimmed read the article. I have a lot of work to do. Would the resume template I used to alter my CV around for IEC be what Canadian employers would be used to, I'm guessing that will have to be changed as well...
Old Dec 19th 2013, 10:46 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Wow just skimmed read the article. I have a lot of work to do. Would the resume template I used to alter my CV around for IEC be what Canadian employers would be used to, I'm guessing that will have to be changed as well...
It certainly would have to be changed, and 'Canadianized'. I've no idea what format the IEC requires though, so not sure if you can use the same one, but the Wiki has loads of info on how to change your CV in to a resume.

Good luck.
Old Dec 19th 2013, 11:08 am
Bex in the city

It certainly would have to be changed, and 'Canadianized'. I've no idea what format the IEC requires though, so not sure if you can use the same one, but the Wiki has loads of info on how to change your CV in to a resume.

Good luck.
Cheers the phone calling I'll have to leave until I'm out there when I get a better idea on things and I have the possibility of arranging meetings/informal chats - just to have an employer look at my resume, qualifications and tell me if I have a hope in hell would be enough for me
Old Dec 19th 2013, 2:27 pm
Bex in the city

Just as a heads up WES contacted me and they can only translate NVQ that are academic based (not sure there are any as they are 'vocational') they are unable to translate practical based qualifications.

So my challenge will be to explain what an NVQ is, how long it took and the kind of evidence/work I was doing for it as part if my job, not an easy task but something I will attempt to do. Cheers for letting me know about WES though
Old Jan 14th 2014, 2:56 pm
Purpe80 in another life..

Clematis has a reputation beyond reputeClematis has a reputation beyond reputeClematis has a reputation beyond reputeClematis has a reputation beyond reputeClematis has a reputation beyond reputeClematis has a reputation beyond reputeClematis has a reputation beyond reputeClematis has a reputation beyond reputeClematis has a reputation beyond reputeClematis has a reputation beyond reputeClematis has a reputation beyond repute

Just thought I would let you know that I have NVQ Level 2 and 3 and that was not recognised in Ontario, WES could not do anything and I could not get anyone to understand what my qualification was.

To work as a Support Worker with autistic adults I would have needed to go to college and I could not afford that.
Old Jan 14th 2014, 3:14 pm
Bex in the city

Originally Posted by Clematis
Just thought I would let you know that I have NVQ Level 2 and 3 and that was not recognised in Ontario, WES could not do anything and I could not get anyone to understand what my qualification was.

To work as a Support Worker with autistic adults I would have needed to go to college and I could not afford that.
I'm heading to BC, I'm going to try otherwise I'll try and get some volunteer work and try and get in that way. All my other training is up to date.

Otherwise I'm going for server work (as they accept semiskilled in this industry for PNP)

If you don't mind me asking what sort of work did you end up doing out there?

Last edited by beckiwoo; Jan 14th 2014 at 3:18 pm.
Old Jan 14th 2014, 8:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

Geordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

I had to re-sit exams to practice out here. I was a Counsellor for years in the UK.

Try and find the equivalent out here and contact them and ask what you would need to do. For me it was an exam (a very hard exam I might add) but I just knuckled down and studied. Obviously I had to pay to sit the exam and pay membership fees to my organisation.

My husband (whose job got us over here) didn't have to do anything - they accepted him and his quals/experience right away.

Hope that helps - just be prepared to prove yourself out here - as long as you accept that with good grace you will find your way through. That's what I did.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.