Reload this Page >

Moving with your pets

Moving with your pets

Old Jan 12th 2021, 9:26 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat0103 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving with your pets

Hi all,

I have been fortunate enough to be offered employment near Hamilton after almost a year long process and plenty of 'zooming.'

My wife and I are planning to move over at the beginning of March, (I sponsored her for PR which was activated in 2017.)

We plan to move with our two cats and as far as I was aware they could be brought on the plane as hand luggage for something in the region of 110-150 dollars.

Whilst looking into it further, it appears that Air Canada, BA and Aer Lingus now need pets to booked onto the plane by a 'courier.'

The following was taken off Aer Lingus - Household pets (cats & dogs only) can be booked as excess baggage by contacting [email protected] 14 days before departure. Something similar is on BA site also. Air Canada's site remains as it was however I noted a post on a different forum of a lady who was told their policy had changed to this new one. The price is extortionate and she was quoted approximately £3500 to take her cat to Canada.

It appears this is due to a large demand for cargo on flights and probably something to do with the pandemic.

Has anyone recently (in the past week) travelling with their pets from the UK?

Apart from the three aforementioned airlines, are there any other airlines flying from the UK or Dublin to Ontario that people have recently used?

Thanks
Old Jan 12th 2021, 11:57 am
Account Closed

Default Re: Moving with your pets

I got speaking to Canada Air customer services, basically if the pet can fit in the right size carrier which can fit under the seat in front they can fly in the cabin, but any pet travelling cargo an expert agency must now be used and the airline won't do it themselves.

I was advised that not every plane can accommodate pets and prior to booking check with them to see if the plane can facilitate it and to ensure another 50 or so people aren't bringing pets on board.

This is how it stands today and of course in these uncertain times everything is fluid so this could change I suppose.

If anyone has travelled with pets lately please share your experience with airport/airlines and customs in Canada.

Thanks
Old Jan 12th 2021, 3:52 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

That normally only applies to pets travelling TO the UK, not from.
To Republic of Ireland and to United Kingdom: Cats and dogs are accepted as cargo only on Air Transat flights – advance arrangements are required and additional fees apply.
Exceptions:
  • Certified service dogs and emotional support dogs are accepted on flights to London (when reserved through our Call Centre in advance).
  • Certified service dogs are accepted on flights to Manchester, Dublin and Glasgow.
Air Transat still allow pets in the cabin or as baggage/cargo to Canada without using a 3rd party.
https://www.airtransat.com/en-CA/Tra...d-service-dogs

Air Canada have restrictions on 'peak periods' and climate extremes.. When are you considering moving?
It looks like you can send your cats as excess baggage without using a 3rd party on Air Canada - just not CARGO.
https://www.aircanada.com/uk/en/aco/...ance/pets.html

BA seem to only use a 3rd party, unfortunately.

Our wiki article may be of use to you https://britishexpats.com/wiki/Transporting_Pets-Canada

Last edited by Siouxie; Jan 12th 2021 at 3:56 pm.
Old Jan 12th 2021, 4:05 pm
Phaedrus by Plato (not5)

Phaedru5 has a reputation beyond reputePhaedru5 has a reputation beyond reputePhaedru5 has a reputation beyond reputePhaedru5 has a reputation beyond reputePhaedru5 has a reputation beyond reputePhaedru5 has a reputation beyond reputePhaedru5 has a reputation beyond reputePhaedru5 has a reputation beyond reputePhaedru5 has a reputation beyond reputePhaedru5 has a reputation beyond reputePhaedru5 has a reputation beyond repute

My experience was 3yrs ago and with a dog (who came on the same flight as us but in a crate in the hold as 'excess baggage' ,but Air Transat were the most helpful by far with clear instructions on what was required, were perfectly happy to do so and made the whole process very easy and painless. So I would recommend checking in with them and seeing if they can help.
Old Jan 13th 2021, 9:40 am
Account Closed

At the beginning of March. Unfortunately Air Transat don't fly from Dublin until May/June I think. I think Air Canada are the best choice in relation to transporting the cats anyway.

Thanks for your help!
Old Jan 13th 2021, 3:54 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pjm3586
At the beginning of March. Unfortunately Air Transat don't fly from Dublin until May/June I think. I think Air Canada are the best choice in relation to transporting the cats anyway.

Thanks for your help!
You may be restricted on havng cats as baggage in March on Air Canada - due to their extreme temperature regulations... or will you have them in the cabin?
https://www.aircanada.com/uk/en/aco/...ance/pets.html (winter restrictions)

Old Jan 13th 2021, 5:04 pm
Account Closed

Yep in the cabin for sure
Old Jan 13th 2021, 5:18 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by pjm3586
Yep in the cabin for sure
Perfect! Hope the flight goes well.. not long now!
Do check out our wiki on moving over, if you haven't already.. especially the 'to do lists' and the 'goods to follow/accompanying' - your cats will need to go on the goods accompanying!! https://britishexpats.com/wiki/Categ...gistics-Canada Decide if your stuff is going in your name as a returner, or in your wife's as a settler.

Did you read of our wiki on Hamilton, by chance? https://britishexpats.com/wiki/Hamilton I've lived here for around 20 years.. and there are other members who live here too - including a real estate agent if you need one (pm me, I'll give you her name)
Old Jan 13th 2021, 5:33 pm
Account Closed

Yes, I'll drop you a PM.

Thank you for the links just reading them at the minute, a lot to organize in the next month or two, see you on the other side!