Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Truro nova scotia

Truro nova scotia

Old Jan 6th 2021, 9:48 pm
Just Joined

natsufc1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Truro nova scotia

I'm looking to move to Truro with my teenage son, but have been warned it's unsafe due to drugs and gangs. Is there anyone on here that lives there and can give me your views, also are there any other places in Nova Scotia I could look at. I'm looking at a small town with community feel with a high school and college nearby. Also is it possible to live in canada in a 2 bed apartment on a single wage as I'm a single mum. Any advice you could give I'd be grateful. Thank you
Old Jan 6th 2021, 10:02 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Truro nova scotia

Welcome to BE.

I have moved your thread over to the General Canada forum. The Immigration forums are specifically for questions about visas/citizenship. If you have questions about this process please post them there.
Old Jan 6th 2021, 10:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

scilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome to BC

Unfortunately, the small towns in NS tend not to have lots of opportunities for work. Truro has an agricultural college with university programmes, but not, I think, much else. What sort of work do you do.

But your first step needs to be to find out if you are eligible to get a visa to emigrate to Canada?

Someone will be along shortly who can you give more directions on how to determine that.
Old Jan 6th 2021, 10:25 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Welcome to BE.

I have moved your thread over to the General Canada forum. The Immigration forums are specifically for questions about visas/citizenship. If you have questions about this process please post them there.
That's great thank you
Old Jan 6th 2021, 10:29 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by scilly
Welcome to BC

Unfortunately, the small towns in NS tend not to have lots of opportunities for work. Truro has an agricultural college with university programmes, but not, I think, much else. What sort of work do you do.

But your first step needs to be to find out if you are eligible to get a visa to emigrate to Canada?

Someone will be along shortly who can you give more directions on how to determine that.
I've started the visa process and so far so good, covid is just delaying it slightly. I work with animals and horses and also for a wildlife trust but open to anything, I've been checking out jobs and there seem to be a few in rescue centres and veterinary hospitals. I also have mental health work that I've done so a possible care job I could do.
Old Jan 6th 2021, 10:41 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by natsufc1
I've started the visa process and so far so good, covid is just delaying it slightly. I work with animals and horses and also for a wildlife trust but open to anything, I've been checking out jobs and there seem to be a few in rescue centres and veterinary hospitals. I also have mental health work that I've done so a possible care job I could do.
As I mentioned above, if you have questions or need help with the visa process, the forum in which you originally posted in (Immigration forum), is the place to ask.

https://britishexpats.com/forum/immi...hip-canada-33/
Old Jan 7th 2021, 1:24 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Hello and welcome to BE!
I'm looking to move to Truro with my teenage son, but have been warned it's unsafe due to drugs and gangs. Is there anyone on here that lives there and can give me your views, also are there any other places in Nova Scotia I could look at. I'm looking at a small town with community feel with a high school and college nearby. Also is it possible to live in canada in a 2 bed apartment on a single wage as I'm a single mum. Any advice you could give I'd be grateful. Thank you
Regarding affordability - that will depend on a) where you live and b) what your wages / salary are. Canada is a huge country and every area will have a different cost of living, even within the same Province.
Accommodations may be cheaper in the Atlantic Provinces but this may balance out by more expensive groceries. There are many threads on the cost of living - for groceries this one might give you some idea of general costs. Groceries You can get an idea of prices for rentals in Truro > https://www.kijiji.ca/b-apartments-c...NS&radius=50.0

Most jobs in Canada as a whole require certification of some sort, do you have qualifications in animal care? Even working with wildlife sometimes requires certificates, unless you are volunteering. https://explorecareers.novascotia.ca/occupation/158 > job opportunities (animal work) https://ca.indeed.com/Animal-jobs-in-Nova-Scotia
To work in Mental Health you will probably need to have a range of certificates - for example: https://www.jobbank.gc.ca/jobsearch/jobposting/33667662

Last edited by Siouxie; Jan 7th 2021 at 1:36 am.
Old Jan 7th 2021, 11:51 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

So you're applying for Permanent Residency and will be able to do any job? Or are you applying for a work permit with a job offer and need to be in Truro? Just wondering if you can look at other locations, or if you're tied to Truro?
Old Jan 7th 2021, 12:35 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
So you're applying for Permanent Residency and will be able to do any job? Or are you applying for a work permit with a job offer and need to be in Truro? Just wondering if you can look at other locations, or if you're tied to Truro?
I'm looking for permanent residency, but I've been advised the work permit may be the best way in. I'm not tied to Truro, it came up as one of the top places to live, whether this is true or not I'm not sure. So I'm not tied to anywhere in particular. Alberta was my first choice as more job opportunities for me but the cost of living seems higher. I've been researching for months but there are so many wonderful places it's hard to choose so any advice would be great. Thanks
Old Jan 7th 2021, 2:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

DandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond repute

I'm looking for permanent residency, but I've been advised the work permit may be the best way in. I'm not tied to Truro, it came up as one of the top places to live, whether this is true or not I'm not sure. So I'm not tied to anywhere in particular. Alberta was my first choice as more job opportunities for me but the cost of living seems higher. I've been researching for months but there are so many wonderful places it's hard to choose so any advice would be great. Thanks
HST and income tax are the highest in NS. So once you’ve paid those you might find another province is just as good/better.

I lived for 3 years in NS. Loved the experience but moved 7 years ago to ON. It’s like living in two different countries.
Old Jan 7th 2021, 3:40 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

I'm looking for permanent residency, but I've been advised the work permit may be the best way in. I
Ah, ok, I thought you'd already applied. What did you mean by 'I've started the visa process', what have you started?

If you are eligible for PR, that would be the way to go, far preferable to a work permit. On a work permit you're tied to your sponsoring employer (unlike PR, where you can work for anybody - or set up your own business, study, retire, etc), and it's usually pretty tricky to get a LMIA as well, particularly at the moment with so many Canadians unemployed. Not sure what your exact occupation is, but from what you've said I think you'd struggle to find an employer willing to pay and wait for you if I'm honest.

So if you are eligible for PR, that would be the route I'd go down personally.

Last edited by christmasoompa; Jan 7th 2021 at 3:46 pm.
Old Jan 7th 2021, 5:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

Tumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond repute

Truro has always seemed like a grubby place to me, but with plenty of potential given its excellent location at the junction of two major highways, and an hour to either Halifax or to the lovely beaches of the Northumberland Strait. Pre Covid, it did seem like things were picking up - the town centre seemed to have more occcupancy for example.

The other area you might want to look at is Kentville-New Minas, which is part of a long strip that includes the university town of Wolfville. To me it seems like the only other part of Nova Scotia, aside from the Halifax area, that has its economic future in its own hands.

I hope that helps.

PS The cost of living is not low here. Check out, just as a guide, how much it will cost to insure a car, which you will definitely need.
Old Jan 11th 2021, 6:36 pm
Seasoned Maritimer

Tangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond repute

Very confusing thread.
Old Jan 13th 2021, 6:25 pm
Just Joined

ronnyx1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Tangram
Very confusing thread.
Truro is a very confusing place, as is N.S.
Old Jan 14th 2021, 12:27 pm
Just Joined

CAN_do_attitude is an unknown quantity at this point

I’ve been to Truro NS. It’s nothing like Truro Cornwall, lol. My advice is never to move anywhere you have not visited first.