Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

moving in winter

Wikiposts

moving in winter

Old Jul 22nd 2010, 3:31 am

Cassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: moving in winter

Originally Posted by nikky1234
Hi All

Just like to say I would have been lost without this site!!! A 'Big' thank-you to you all and especially to my friends in SK and the warm welcome we were given on our final recce trip..You know who you are xxxx

Question is... has anyone moved in the winter??? how easy was it?? My little dog is able to go as luggage lol We were hoping to get out by October however got a few hiccups here... We don't really want to wait until spring, can't really as we have a farm waiting...Just not sure how difficult it will be???

Anyone looking to re-locate PLEASE don't right off Saskatchewan, it is an up and coming province with shed loads of opportunities that are by passed for the larger populated and 'expensive ' cities.
We came over in November 2008.

When our container arrived some things had frost on them.
Old Jul 22nd 2010, 3:49 am

ireland2canada is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
We landed in Calgary in the middle of January 2007 right in the middle of a cold spell. Minus 20+ for weeks with no chinooks. No job, no real contacts, no furniture for 3 weeks.

Other than a few days of "what the hell have we done?" We didn`t suffer.
I could have written that. Substitute "We" for "I", "Calgary" for "Toronto" and "January 2007" for "December 2008".

I still don't have proper furniture.

I'm glad I came here in winter. I could overcome my lack of suitable clothing by wearing everything I owned. Had I landed here in 30c+ heat I would have been screwed.
Old Jul 22nd 2010, 4:29 am
Forum Regular

nikky1234 will become famous soon enough

Thanks all you have put my mind at rest! We will be able to complete on our property near Tisedale 30 days after we land. Already waiting for us, seen it in the spring for ourselves and pics of it last winter. Peeps there are fab couldn't have been more helpful so it sounds as if we'll be going regardless of the cold and snow lol It is true that it is a dry cold in SK and no coats needed until -15.
Old Jul 22nd 2010, 7:41 am
BE Enthusiast

minimeeze has much to be proud ofminimeeze has much to be proud ofminimeeze has much to be proud ofminimeeze has much to be proud ofminimeeze has much to be proud ofminimeeze has much to be proud ofminimeeze has much to be proud ofminimeeze has much to be proud ofminimeeze has much to be proud ofminimeeze has much to be proud ofminimeeze has much to be proud of

We landed in Vancouver on New Year's Eve 08, during the worst winter BC had seen for some time (but still mild by Canadian standards). Driving on unfamiliar snowy roads for the first time was a bit scary, but other than that, we did just fine.
Old Jul 22nd 2010, 8:04 am
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

It is true that it is a dry cold in SK and no coats needed until -15.
Not for the first few minutes anyway
Old Jul 22nd 2010, 8:16 am

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

It is true that it is a dry cold in SK and no coats needed until -15.
Good luck with that.
Old Jul 23rd 2010, 1:49 am
Forum Regular

HPJOS is a name known to allHPJOS is a name known to allHPJOS is a name known to allHPJOS is a name known to allHPJOS is a name known to allHPJOS is a name known to allHPJOS is a name known to allHPJOS is a name known to allHPJOS is a name known to allHPJOS is a name known to allHPJOS is a name known to all

We arrived in January - advantages, cheaper flights, no problem finding temporary accommodation because Canadians tend to flock south in the winter for holidays, not stay in Canada.

The main thing we liked now, looking back on things was that once the initial "honeymoon" phase had worn off after about 3 months and we were feeling a bit down the weather warmed up, evenings were lighter and generally helped lift the mood.

I would think if you arrive at the end of summer the weather is still good but after those 3 months the nights are drawing in and 6 months of a very cold winter staring you face on might not be so appealing!

One disadvantage I will say is trying to look for a house (although sounds like you already have something lined up). Outside of the less choice, in the winter it is not possible to check the land around the house for yourself since it is mostly covered in snow. Once me moved in we realised the grading hadn't been done properly (home inspector didn't pick this up) and the moron builder installed a downspout right across our pathway leading to the front door which leaks and creates a mini skating rink effect when things start to thaw and freeze. I need to sort this out...

Good luck with the move!
Helen
Old Jul 24th 2010, 3:39 am
Slob

Souvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HPJOS
We arrived in January - advantages, cheaper flights, no problem finding temporary accommodation because Canadians tend to flock south in the winter for holidays, not stay in Canada.

The main thing we liked now, looking back on things was that once the initial "honeymoon" phase had worn off after about 3 months and we were feeling a bit down the weather warmed up, evenings were lighter and generally helped lift the mood.

I would think if you arrive at the end of summer the weather is still good but after those 3 months the nights are drawing in and 6 months of a very cold winter staring you face on might not be so appealing!

One disadvantage I will say is trying to look for a house (although sounds like you already have something lined up). Outside of the less choice, in the winter it is not possible to check the land around the house for yourself since it is mostly covered in snow. Once me moved in we realised the grading hadn't been done properly (home inspector didn't pick this up) and the moron builder installed a downspout right across our pathway leading to the front door which leaks and creates a mini skating rink effect when things start to thaw and freeze. I need to sort this out...

Good luck with the move!
Helen
Rather flawed logic there. The ones who go for extended periods tend to already own their own homes. Their absence will not affect the availability of short-term accommodation.