Reload this Page >

moving in winter

moving in winter

Old Jul 22nd 2010, 1:47 pm
Forum Regular

nikky1234 will become famous soon enough
Default moving in winter

Hi All

Just like to say I would have been lost without this site!!! A 'Big' thank-you to you all and especially to my friends in SK and the warm welcome we were given on our final recce trip..You know who you are xxxx

Question is... has anyone moved in the winter??? how easy was it?? My little dog is able to go as luggage lol We were hoping to get out by October however got a few hiccups here... We don't really want to wait until spring, can't really as we have a farm waiting...Just not sure how difficult it will be???

Anyone looking to re-locate PLEASE don't right off Saskatchewan, it is an up and coming province with shed loads of opportunities that are by passed for the larger populated and 'expensive ' cities.
Old Jul 22nd 2010, 1:53 pm
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: moving in winter

Originally Posted by nikky1234
Hi All

Just like to say I would have been lost without this site!!! A 'Big' thank-you to you all and especially to my friends in SK and the warm welcome we were given on our final recce trip..You know who you are xxxx

Question is... has anyone moved in the winter??? how easy was it?? My little dog is able to go as luggage lol We were hoping to get out by October however got a few hiccups here... We don't really want to wait until spring, can't really as we have a farm waiting...Just not sure how difficult it will be???

Anyone looking to re-locate PLEASE don't right off Saskatchewan, it is an up and coming province with shed loads of opportunities that are by passed for the larger populated and 'expensive ' cities.
Other than shorter, and a few cold days, i wouldn't personally see as any different from other times in the year.

What are you worried about?

Last edited by el_richo; Jul 22nd 2010 at 1:57 pm.
Old Jul 22nd 2010, 1:59 pm
887 lb pumpkin

flipance has a spectacular aura aboutflipance has a spectacular aura aboutflipance has a spectacular aura about

Hi All

If you are looking to buy a place it is the best time to move!
Old Jul 22nd 2010, 1:59 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

We landed in Calgary in the middle of January 2007 right in the middle of a cold spell. Minus 20+ for weeks with no chinooks. No job, no real contacts, no furniture for 3 weeks.

Other than a few days of "what the hell have we done?" We didn`t suffer.
Old Jul 22nd 2010, 2:01 pm
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
with no chinooks
Didn't you have enough of them in your previous "life"?
Old Jul 22nd 2010, 2:01 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by flipance
If you are looking to buy a place it is the best time to move!
I disagree with this. There was only one house for sale in the community we wanted to move to, luckily, the house suited us perfectly.

Once spring had sprung, loads of houses went on the market.

There will be less competition from other purchasers, but few vendors list their house for sale in winter exactly because of this. You need to factor in the "less choice" issue.
Old Jul 22nd 2010, 2:03 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by el_richo
Didn't you have enough of them in your previous "life"?
Ah, the CH-47, spent many a happy moment jumping out of one of them.
Old Jul 22nd 2010, 2:06 pm
Account Closed

jericho is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi All

We've got friends who moved out here in December, and it was -42 the day that they arrived. -42 was certainly not a warm welcome, and temperatures like that shouldnt be underestimated.

Sask, in the winter, is COLD. Temps of -30 to -40 are typical, so I wouldnt take it lightly....
Old Jul 22nd 2010, 2:08 pm
Account Closed

fledermaus is an unknown quantity at this point

We have moved a couple of times in Canada and both were in October. It was sleeting a little the house was effing cold but otherwise no probs.
Old Jul 22nd 2010, 2:10 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Moving in winter isnt without its down side, but if you have to do it you have to do it.

Apart from things like the dead property market over the winter a few other things to consider are:

If you are looking at houses to buy, the garden will likely be a mystery, who knows what lurks under the snow. (We bought in January, but didnt move in till May)

Home inspectors wont be up on the roof checking it and the eavestroughs if there is snow or ice up there.

Moving furniture in a winter storm, or just on a cold day, or slipping on the icy driveway wont be any fun, and you wont find too many volunteers to help in the winter compared to a more temperate time of year, although as a newcommer you wont know many people to help move you anyway.

If you have to do then just grin and bare it, and hope for a decent spell of weather! At least you will be settled in and able to enjoy summer when it comes around
Old Jul 22nd 2010, 2:10 pm
Forum Regular

KeithSonja will become famous soon enoughKeithSonja will become famous soon enough

[/CODE]Anyone looking to re-locate PLEASE don't right off Saskatchewan, it is an up and coming province with shed loads of opportunities that are by passed for the larger populated and 'expensive ' cities.[/CODE]

That's why we are heading there....as soon as we get the letter of nomination we are off

Where in Sakatchewan are you going? I've got a job waiting in Saskatoon and couldn't believe how nice everybody is

I'm led to believe by expats working for the company that I'm going to that their cold is a dry cold so is easier to deal with..
Old Jul 22nd 2010, 2:13 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by KeithSonja
I'm led to believe by expats working for the company that I'm going to that their cold is a dry cold so is easier to deal with..
Until you apply something warm and moist to something cold and metalic anyway
Old Jul 22nd 2010, 2:16 pm
Forum Regular

KeithSonja will become famous soon enoughKeithSonja will become famous soon enough

Mmmmmm could say lots but didn't want to smut the thread
Old Jul 22nd 2010, 2:22 pm
Beep

Originally Posted by KeithSonja
Mmmmmm could say lots but didn't want to smut the thread
Disgusting. Dildon't bring that smut around here.
Old Jul 22nd 2010, 3:29 pm

TheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond repute

We moved to Canada in November and stayed in temporary accommodation with our dog until we took possession of our house on 22 December! I guess we were lucky in that there was a good choice of properties on the market at the time. Whilst our temporary accommodation was pet friendly, we did have to take our dog with us whenever we went out. Whenever we had to then leave her in the car, she soon learnt to stay buried under the heap of coats and blankets that we covered her in! LOL Despite the freezing temperatures outside, she still felt warm and toasty when we got back to her! Other than this, we experienced no problems with regard to moving over in the winter time. Everyone was friendly and welcoming. I was just glad that we were in our own house by Christmas - like I said, we took possession on 22 December and all our furniture got delivered on the 23rd! Come Christmas, we were still sleeping on mattresses on the floor but, hey, the Christmas tree was up!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.