Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Best time of year to move to downtown Toronto?

Best time of year to move to downtown Toronto?

Old Jul 24th 2010, 10:36 am
Forum Regular

Flyingscottie is just really niceFlyingscottie is just really niceFlyingscottie is just really niceFlyingscottie is just really niceFlyingscottie is just really niceFlyingscottie is just really niceFlyingscottie is just really niceFlyingscottie is just really niceFlyingscottie is just really niceFlyingscottie is just really niceFlyingscottie is just really nice
Default Best time of year to move to downtown Toronto?

Hi all,

Appreciate your opinions on when is best to leave Scotland and head to Toronto.

Thinking about availability of one bed rentals, weather, job markets etc.

Thanks!

(Grrrrr - why won't it let me create a poll????)

SPRING
SUMMER
AUTUMN
WINTER

Last edited by Flyingscottie; Jul 24th 2010 at 10:39 am. Reason: Not letting me create a poll :(
Old Jul 24th 2010, 12:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

macadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Best time of year to move to downtown Toronto?

Originally Posted by Flyingscottie
Hi all,

Thanks!

SPRING
SUMMER
AUTUMN
WINTER
Unless your really, really, really desperate to move to Toronto ....never.........cause it sure ain't 'Canada'....

Seriously....best of luck with the move to 'T' whenever you do it. My own preference would when their ain't piles of snow lying around the place...makes it look (and feel) really crappy,,,,

Last edited by macadian; Jul 24th 2010 at 1:02 pm.
Old Jul 24th 2010, 1:11 pm
Forum Regular

keznjj has much to be proud ofkeznjj has much to be proud ofkeznjj has much to be proud ofkeznjj has much to be proud ofkeznjj has much to be proud ofkeznjj has much to be proud ofkeznjj has much to be proud ofkeznjj has much to be proud ofkeznjj has much to be proud ofkeznjj has much to be proud ofkeznjj has much to be proud of

I moved here in June and to be honest with the weather we are having it was the perfect time of the year.
Rentals there is an abundance of them viewit.ca have a great range or craigslist and where I live there are apartment blocks with rental signs out the front all the time. It just depends on what part of Toronto (which is in Canada) you want to go too.
Again it depends on what type of work you do, there are again an abundance of jobs and if your not too fussy to begin with then you shouldnt have a problem. I personally find the way to go is through recruiters, some would disagree but if you know your stuff and they can see your not fleecing them then they want to make money out of you and you get work, I havent had a problem as yet and Im only here 5 weeks.
PM me if you need any further advise on things but there is not time not worth coming to Toronto but like I said I am glad I came in the summer.

Good Luck in your choices
Old Jul 24th 2010, 2:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

London Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond repute

We moved here on June 27th and are loving it. I would definitely move in the summer or even late Spring to get a good run in while there's plenty of daylight. Also, there are loads of festivals on throughout the summer; practically a new one every week (Jazz in the Beaches this weekend). Lots and lots to do at little expense too.

It's a great city in my view. There is a lot of anti Toronto BS on this website which you should try to ignore. Depends entirely what you want out of your new life in Canada, but TO and the surrounding Ontario countryside presents some fabulous opportunties for new immigrants and Canadians alike for work and play!

PM if you want any further advice on anything. A newbie myself but I've been certainly getting around.
Old Jul 24th 2010, 2:35 pm
Forum Regular

keznjj has much to be proud ofkeznjj has much to be proud ofkeznjj has much to be proud ofkeznjj has much to be proud ofkeznjj has much to be proud ofkeznjj has much to be proud ofkeznjj has much to be proud ofkeznjj has much to be proud ofkeznjj has much to be proud ofkeznjj has much to be proud ofkeznjj has much to be proud of

Went to the Jazz Festival last night, it was the bomb absolutely fantastic...
Old Jul 24th 2010, 3:51 pm
Forum Regular

Flyingscottie is just really niceFlyingscottie is just really niceFlyingscottie is just really niceFlyingscottie is just really niceFlyingscottie is just really niceFlyingscottie is just really niceFlyingscottie is just really niceFlyingscottie is just really niceFlyingscottie is just really niceFlyingscottie is just really niceFlyingscottie is just really nice

Thank you all for the comments, much appreciated!
Old Jul 24th 2010, 4:51 pm
Forum Regular

Reidies has a reputation beyond reputeReidies has a reputation beyond reputeReidies has a reputation beyond reputeReidies has a reputation beyond reputeReidies has a reputation beyond reputeReidies has a reputation beyond reputeReidies has a reputation beyond reputeReidies has a reputation beyond reputeReidies has a reputation beyond reputeReidies has a reputation beyond reputeReidies has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Flyingscottie
Hi all,

Thanks!

SPRING
SUMMER
AUTUMN
WINTER
We moved here on 7th June and the weather is good, there are plenty of rental places to view. We moved into a 3 bed house yesterdare are loads of festivals going on and we have seen a few artists for free that we had to pay for back in the UK!!!!
Old Jul 24th 2010, 8:39 pm
Forum Regular

Zap0ne has a reputation beyond reputeZap0ne has a reputation beyond reputeZap0ne has a reputation beyond reputeZap0ne has a reputation beyond reputeZap0ne has a reputation beyond reputeZap0ne has a reputation beyond reputeZap0ne has a reputation beyond reputeZap0ne has a reputation beyond reputeZap0ne has a reputation beyond reputeZap0ne has a reputation beyond reputeZap0ne has a reputation beyond repute

I think that the May/June time is the best. You have the summer to get through which is great. Plenty of entertainment in the city and the days are long. I am sure that this quashes those home sick blues that some seem to get when you are sat on a patio late into the evening. Better to be doing the rounds of Ikea, Home Base, Sears, Home Depot, Canadian Tire etc. when the weather is good rather then trying to move the proverbial mattress in the rain through the front door.

Rental accommodation and resale homes are generally more plentiful at this time. In contrast, late August there will not be a lot of choice in the accommodation market till folks are back from the cottage and the students are back in school in September.

Good luck with your move