Reload this Page >

Moving to Toronto this summer

Moving to Toronto this summer

Old Jan 15th 2022, 3:22 pm
cpu
Just Joined

cpu is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving to Toronto this summer

Hi all, I'll be moving from London to Toronto in August of this year with two kids, two cats and as little stuff as I can get away with. Couple of questions:

- On schools, is there a school choice (for a 5 year old), or does your address determine the school? The Ontario School Board website seems to allocate a school to the address we'll be living. How far in advance do you have to register a child?
- I realise there's a wiki with a list of threads asking this question, but they're all from several years ago, and if anyone has recently shipped their house contents (by sea, doesn't matter if it takes a number of months), I welcome recommendations.
- Does anyone know the difference between accompanying pets on a plane vs having them sent by someone like PetAir? I think that if you go with them it's not technically an import and there are fewer hoops to jump through, but I can't find concrete details on this.

My COPR expires in May so I'll be popping over for a week in April to do a soft landing and then head back before the move in the summer. I think in that time I can open a bank account and maybe start the ball rolling on health insurance? If anyone can think of anything else useful I could do in that week, that would also be helpful.

Thank you!
Old Jan 15th 2022, 9:28 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to Toronto this summer

Originally Posted by cpu
Hi all, I'll be moving from London to Toronto in August of this year with two kids, two cats and as little stuff as I can get away with. Couple of questions:

- On schools, is there a school choice (for a 5 year old), or does your address determine the school? The Ontario School Board website seems to allocate a school to the address we'll be living. How far in advance do you have to register a child?
- I realise there's a wiki with a list of threads asking this question, but they're all from several years ago, and if anyone has recently shipped their house contents (by sea, doesn't matter if it takes a number of months), I welcome recommendations.
- Does anyone know the difference between accompanying pets on a plane vs having them sent by someone like PetAir? I think that if you go with them it's not technically an import and there are fewer hoops to jump through, but I can't find concrete details on this.

My COPR expires in May so I'll be popping over for a week in April to do a soft landing and then head back before the move in the summer. I think in that time I can open a bank account and maybe start the ball rolling on health insurance? If anyone can think of anything else useful I could do in that week, that would also be helpful.

Thank you!
Address determines school. You'll often see houses advertised as being within the catchment area for specific schools or, in the case of houses on the fringe of being in the Beach, TDSB (as opposed to whatever education, if any, is offered in Scarborough).

Note that there are four public school boards; English language Catholic, English Other, French language Catholic, French Other. It is routine to adjust children's religion or language according to the relative quality of the local schools.

Loads of prior posts on pet transport, fewer on goods, but then we're British.

Old Jan 16th 2022, 11:32 am
cpu
Just Joined

Originally Posted by dbd33
(as opposed to whatever education, if any, is offered in Scarborough).
Guess where I'm staying with the in-laws for the first few months...
Old Jan 16th 2022, 1:22 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cpu
Guess where I'm staying with the in-laws for the first few months...
Scarborough is huge and variable, it's not all housing projects where you don't let the kids sleep near the windows. The part at the bottom of Vic Park is similar to the Beach (which is adjacent but part of Toronto) and it's there that the school district really affects house prices. I hope the in-laws don't live at Morningside and Lawrence or in Tuxedo Court.
Old Jan 16th 2022, 2:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

Partially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
Scarborough is huge and variable, it's not all housing projects where you don't let the kids sleep near the windows. The part at the bottom of Vic Park is similar to the Beach (which is adjacent but part of Toronto) and it's there that the school district really affects house prices. I hope the in-laws don't live at Morningside and Lawrence or in Tuxedo Court.
Add Carabob Court or Glendower Circuit (north end) or parts of Bay Mills Blvd or parts of Malvern into that mix.
Old Jan 16th 2022, 3:42 pm
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by Partially discharged
Add Carabob Court or Glendower Circuit (north end) or parts of Bay Mills Blvd or parts of Malvern into that mix.
I'm sure there are lots of shitty bits. I mentioned those two because I knew people who lived there and I was a frequent visitor to the Morningside/Lawrence housing project. It was a running joke that we had to drink on the balcony so we could watch the car but we had no idea what we'd do if someone started smashing it up. Ah, the Newfie years. I wonder it the Crossroads tavern is still there.
Old Jan 17th 2022, 11:56 am
cpu
Just Joined

Nah it's fine, I've been there plenty of times and they live in a quiet suburb north of the 401 full of elderly Chinese people. My biggest worry is that I'm going to be there for 4-6 months and there's nothing resembling a pub within walking distance.
Old Jan 17th 2022, 12:25 pm
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by cpu
Nah it's fine, I've been there plenty of times and they live in a quiet suburb north of the 401 full of elderly Chinese people. My biggest worry is that I'm going to be there for 4-6 months and there's nothing resembling a pub within walking distance.
I bet it's important to the residents that you call it Markham and not Scarborough!