University Fees

University Fees

Old Jan 18th 2022, 7:48 am
Just Joined

HeyWatPod is an unknown quantity at this point
Question University Fees

Good morning BE!
This is my first post so be gentle.
I'm a web developer from Manchester UK and looking at PNP streams for the tech sector.
Whilst doing some digging and initial research I just wanted to ask a quick question:
If you obtain a PR are you classed as "Undergraduate - Canadian Student" or "Undergraduate - Foreign Student" in respect to University Fees?
The reason is I have 3 humans that are 15, 16 & 18 (the latter currently at Uni in UK so wont really count in this) and will be put them through/financing University for them (obvs if they want to).
As a sweeping statement, it's a decider on whether we move to Canada as I wouldn't want to hinder their futures by taking them if they can't fulfil their potential (or afford it for that matter!).
I am looking at the univcan website for fee guidance.
Any further info would be greatly appreciated.
Have a good one!

Old Jan 18th 2022, 9:24 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: University Fees

Originally Posted by HeyWatPod
Good morning BE!
This is my first post so be gentle.
I'm a web developer from Manchester UK and looking at PNP streams for the tech sector.
Whilst doing some digging and initial research I just wanted to ask a quick question:
If you obtain a PR are you classed as "Undergraduate - Canadian Student" or "Undergraduate - Foreign Student" in respect to University Fees?
The reason is I have 3 humans that are 15, 16 & 18 (the latter currently at Uni in UK so wont really count in this) and will be put them through/financing University for them (obvs if they want to).
As a sweeping statement, it's a decider on whether we move to Canada as I wouldn't want to hinder their futures by taking them if they can't fulfil their potential (or afford it for that matter!).
I am looking at the univcan website for fee guidance.
Any further info would be greatly appreciated.
Have a good one!
They wouldn't usually have to pay international rates if they were PR's. But really you'd need to check the rules for each university that you think they may be considering, as they can set their own definition of what counts as a local for rates purposes.

If you hope to have PR before the 16 year old is heading to uni, then if you don't already have a job offer etc, you'll need to get cracking!

Good luck.
Old Jan 18th 2022, 9:46 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Also, just thought of something else - bear in mind that if they aren't resident in the UK in the 3 years before uni, they'd be treated as International students there usually too. Just thought I'd flag that in case you think any of them might want to return to the UK for uni instead. It would be awful if you carefully planned moving to Canada and getting PR so they could pay local rates there, but then found they'd rather go to uni in the UK and you'd still have to fork out for international rates!
Old Jan 18th 2022, 9:46 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
If you hope to have PR before the 16 year old is heading to uni, then if you don't already have a job offer etc, you'll need to get cracking!
Yes this does seem to be a tight "deadline!"
Thanks chrismasoompa
Old Jan 18th 2022, 9:48 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Also, just thought of something else - bear in mind that if they aren't resident in the UK in the 3 years before uni, they'd be treated as International students there usually too. Just thought I'd flag that in case you think any of them might want to return to the UK for uni instead. It would be awful if you carefully planned moving to Canada and getting PR so they could pay local rates there, but then found they'd rather go to uni in the UK and you'd still have to fork out for international rates!
Wow, yeh! that would be even worse imho!
Old Jan 18th 2022, 11:25 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

A point to consider is that, besides international rates, there are "out of Province" rates. One of my daughters went to university in NS, Qc and BC and was billed at the out-of-Province rate in all of them except the 2nd and subsequent years in Qc; after one year she was deemed resident there. If you had two kids at McGill. You would likely be better off working support in a call center in Qc than as a lead developer (or similar) in ON.