Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Moving to Toronto area in winter...Is this wise?

Moving to Toronto area in winter...Is this wise?

Old Aug 29th 2007, 6:24 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to Toronto area in winter...Is this wise?

Originally Posted by steve666
I know what I'll do, my son is 18 and works out regularly down the gym, I'll get an oversize shovel and get him to do it.
My kids had a think like a plough but with a handle instead of a motor. They pushed it.
Old Aug 29th 2007, 8:44 am
Forum Regular

JHJarvie is just really niceJHJarvie is just really niceJHJarvie is just really niceJHJarvie is just really niceJHJarvie is just really niceJHJarvie is just really niceJHJarvie is just really niceJHJarvie is just really niceJHJarvie is just really nice

Originally Posted by dbd33
My kids had a think like a plough but with a handle instead of a motor. They pushed it.
Guys I was lookin for some advice on moving to Toronto area in winter, not a full blown discussion on snow blowing impliments!
Any advice on my original post would be much appreciated.
Nice photos though!
Old Aug 29th 2007, 9:05 am
BE Enthusiast

babsi has a reputation beyond reputebabsi has a reputation beyond reputebabsi has a reputation beyond reputebabsi has a reputation beyond reputebabsi has a reputation beyond reputebabsi has a reputation beyond reputebabsi has a reputation beyond reputebabsi has a reputation beyond reputebabsi has a reputation beyond reputebabsi has a reputation beyond reputebabsi has a reputation beyond repute

Last winter was very mild up to middle of January, no snow whatsoever. There was a big storm in February here. The winters are a lot milder now than when I came 6 years ago and unless there is heavy, heavy snow then it doesn't affect me in any way.

When you come there might not even be snow here, maybe there will.

Don't know really what advice you are looking for
Old Aug 29th 2007, 9:10 am
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JHJarvie
Guys I was lookin for some advice on moving to Toronto area in winter, not a full blown discussion on snow blowing impliments!
Nice photos though!
Thread drift is an occupational hazard of all forums & especially this one. Best get used to it!

Apropos to your original question, If you are moving to Canada (not just Toronto), winter, snow, snowclearing and associated fun are a fact of life & you will either learn to deal with it or spend your winters somewhere sunny. That being the case, IMHO I can't see why moving to TO in the winter would be a particularly bad thing apart from physically moving furniture etc in the cold. As has been already said, you at least have spring and summer to look forward to & can then face your second winter with the confidence of having survived the first!
Old Aug 29th 2007, 9:35 am

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by steve666
Shovel! I'm coming to Canada for god's sake! Everything is motorized out there, what would the neighbours think!

"Look at that stupid English person, using a shovel to clear his driveway! Ha Ha Ha! Shall we tell him he's going to have to do that every day for the next 4 months?"
"Nah, just video him and we'll have a laugh at his expense with the boys down the bar."

Not only that, I'm almost as old as you are, my bones won't take all the strain.
Sorry I was under the impression you had two strapping young lads to do the shoveling.

My bad.

Our driveway is 24' wide and about 30' long plus we also have about 120' of city sidewalk to shovel. The joy of living on a corner lot.

Mrs_P does an excellent job.
Old Aug 29th 2007, 9:38 am

Nice photos though!
You have to realise that any given thread on this forum is likely to wander off into topics you never thought possible.
Old Aug 29th 2007, 9:42 am
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

I thought we had done quite well sticking to at least a vaguely wintery theme. The original question was pretty well covered by post #3
Old Aug 29th 2007, 9:43 am

Originally Posted by iaink
I thought we had done quite well sticking to at least a vaguely wintery theme. The original question was pretty well covered by post #3
Plus we didn't go anywhere near the plug your car in issue.

I thought we'd done quite well too.
Old Aug 29th 2007, 9:47 am
BE Forum Addict

steve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond repute

Nice photos though!
Oh sorry, we thought you'd gone.
Old Aug 29th 2007, 11:49 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve_P
Plus we didn't go anywhere near the plug your car in issue.

I thought we'd done quite well too.
It's deffo time to air that one again.
Old Aug 29th 2007, 10:23 pm

Member123 is an unknown quantity at this point

Nice photos though!
Oh dear

You haven't got used to our ways of going on then JHJ

Actually I think they stuck to the general theme quite well...wait to you see them in full swing
Old Sep 4th 2007, 8:30 am
Forum Regular

JHJarvie is just really niceJHJarvie is just really niceJHJarvie is just really niceJHJarvie is just really niceJHJarvie is just really niceJHJarvie is just really niceJHJarvie is just really niceJHJarvie is just really niceJHJarvie is just really nice

Originally Posted by Alvic
Oh dear

You haven't got used to our ways of going on then JHJ

Actually I think they stuck to the general theme quite well...wait to you see them in full swing
OK guys, learning to accept the 'Conversational Drift' done a bit of my own on another thread. Anyway thanks for all the pointers and info.
JHJ