Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Moving to Toronto area in winter...Is this wise?

Wikiposts

Moving to Toronto area in winter...Is this wise?

Old Aug 29th 2007, 1:32 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to Toronto area in winter...Is this wise?

I have to say that I view this winter's snow clearing with some trepidation. Our driveway to the house isn't very long (the picture shows about half of it) but it is prone to drifts. I can reduce that problem by installing snow fencing in the field opposite and am confident of being able to clear it with the tractor and rusty thing. The problem however is the road to the barn which is sort of semi-surfaced and steep in parts, see second picture, I think the OH may have a rough time clearing that.
Attached Thumbnails Moving to Toronto area in winter...Is this wise?-000_0333.jpg   Moving to Toronto area in winter...Is this wise?-000_0294.jpg  
Old Aug 29th 2007, 1:56 am

Member123 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by dbd33
I have to say that I view this winter's snow clearing with some trepidation. Our driveway to the house isn't very long (the picture shows about half of it) but it is prone to drifts. I can reduce that problem by installing snow fencing in the field opposite and am confident of being able to clear it with the tractor and rusty thing. The problem however is the road to the barn which is sort of semi-surfaced and steep in parts, see second picture, I think the OH may have a rough time clearing that.
Didn't know you had a dog who could levitate
Old Aug 29th 2007, 1:57 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by steve666;
On the evidence I've got here, I'll get the sit on mower I need anyway, and add the plough for this winter. I'll work out from that if I need anything different for the next time. Thanks AX and db.
By all means get the sit on mower if you need it, but don't bother with the blade. My experience is that they don't have enough traction (even with chains fitted) to push any significant amount of snow (especially the wettish stuff).

Get a blower: you probably don't need a titan like AX's; I have a 7HP Craftsman from Sears (cost about $900 new a couple of years ago) which does the job perfectly. Of course I don't live in Ottawa.
Old Aug 29th 2007, 2:02 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alvic
Didn't know you had a dog who could levitate
Curry. We get it from Brampton.
Old Aug 29th 2007, 2:06 am

Member123 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by dbd33
Curry. We get it from Brampton.
It's powerful stuff then??????????
Old Aug 29th 2007, 2:32 am
BE Forum Addict

steve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
By all means get the sit on mower if you need it, but don't bother with the blade. My experience is that they don't have enough traction (even with chains fitted) to push any significant amount of snow (especially the wettish stuff).

Get a blower: you probably don't need a titan like AX's; I have a 7HP Craftsman from Sears (cost about $900 new a couple of years ago) which does the job perfectly. Of course I don't live in Ottawa.
Ok, I'll take that in too, the blower at that price would be ok, there's plenty of land either side to get it stacked up, only need one driveway clear so not on par with the db problem lol.
See pic.
Attached Thumbnails Moving to Toronto area in winter...Is this wise?-driveway1.jpg  
Old Aug 29th 2007, 3:45 am
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

Snowblower attachments for tractors are generally not regarded well I've found. That being said my neighbour seems to do alright with his. For your drive a smallish walkbehind snowblower will be far more effective and easier to manoeuvre.

But for dbd33, what you really need is this:

Old Aug 29th 2007, 3:51 am
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat
Snowblower attachments for tractors are generally not regarded well I've found. That being said my neighbour seems to do alright with his. For your drive a smallish walkbehind snowblower will be far more effective and easier to manoeuvre.

But for dbd33, what you really need is this:

http://i109.photobucket.com/albums/n...0239Medium.jpg
Not one of these:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:S...g_pferdzug.jpg

?
Old Aug 29th 2007, 3:54 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33;
I'm aware that German isn't your strong point mate, but that's for sitting in, not for snow clearing.
Old Aug 29th 2007, 3:57 am
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
I'm aware that German isn't your strong point mate, but that's for sitting in, not for snow clearing.
The caption, in English, had it ploughing. Of well, have to get otraynor one of these then.

http://www.archives.gov.on.ca/Englis...ow_removal.htm
Old Aug 29th 2007, 3:58 am

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by steve666
Ok, I'll take that in too, the blower at that price would be ok, there's plenty of land either side to get it stacked up, only need one driveway clear so not on par with the db problem lol.
See pic.
Geeeez, for that sized driveway all you need is a shovel for goodness sake.
Old Aug 29th 2007, 4:00 am
Born again atheist

Originally Posted by dbd33;
The caption, in English, had it ploughing. Of well, have to get otraynor one of these then.

http://www.archives.gov.on.ca/Englis...ow_removal.htm
Hmmm. I'll get me coat.
Old Aug 29th 2007, 5:58 am
BE Forum Addict

steve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve_P
Geeeez, for that sized driveway all you need is a shovel for goodness sake.
Shovel! I'm coming to Canada for god's sake! Everything is motorized out there, what would the neighbours think!

"Look at that stupid English person, using a shovel to clear his driveway! Ha Ha Ha! Shall we tell him he's going to have to do that every day for the next 4 months?"
"Nah, just video him and we'll have a laugh at his expense with the boys down the bar."

Not only that, I'm almost as old as you are, my bones won't take all the strain.
Old Aug 29th 2007, 6:09 am
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by steve666
Shovel! I'm coming to Canada for god's sake! Everything is motorized out there, what would the neighbours think!

"Look at that stupid English person, using a shovel to clear his driveway! Ha Ha Ha! Shall we tell him he's going to have to do that every day for the next 4 months?"
"Nah, just video him and we'll have a laugh at his expense with the boys down the bar."

Not only that, I'm almost as old as you are, my bones won't take all the strain.
You would be surprised. Snowblowers are cumbersome beasts at best, ill-suited to a small driveway with frequent turnarounds.

Everyone but one guy around here uses manual labour, and we like to watch and laugh at the guy with the blower as he gets more snow on him than seems possible based on what was on the ground. Plus it seems to take him longer to get it out, get it going and clear than it does to push the snow to one side and shovel it clear.

Still, after the only really heavy snowfall of last winter it was nice to have a friend with an ATV and plough combo...thats the way to go as you can have fun on it in the summer too.
Old Aug 29th 2007, 6:21 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by iaink
You would be surprised. Snowblowers are cumbersome beasts at best, ill-suited to a small driveway with frequent turnarounds.

Everyone but one guy around here uses manual labour, and we like to watch and laugh at the guy with the blower as he gets more snow on him than seems possible based on what was on the ground. Plus it seems to take him longer to get it out, get it going and clear than it does to push the snow to one side and shovel it clear.

Still, after the only really heavy snowfall of last winter it was nice to have a friend with an ATV and plough combo...thats the way to go as you can have fun on it in the summer too.
I know what I'll do, my son is 18 and works out regularly down the gym, I'll get an oversize shovel and get him to do it. HAHAHAHAHA, just thought, trying to get him out of bed at 7am to shovel snow when it's -20 outside would be a lot harder work than doing it myself, I'll just have to grit my teeth, hunch my back and get stuck in. If it gets too bad I'll buy the ATV and plough, probably on the second day.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.