Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Moving to Toronto

Moving to Toronto

Old Sep 28th 2019, 10:08 am
Just Joined

ChrisHugo87 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving to Toronto

Hi everyone, first post, My work have asked me to do a secondment to our offices in Toronto for 2 years, which I have agreed to and will be moving with my other half and recently 2 year old daughter in January (will likely be going out for a week or two first in November). I was hoping to get some recommendations of areas/neighbourhoods to look at living in, which would be central enough that we wouldn’t be too far from being able to really experience the culture and make the most of our time there, but also suitable to for our young daughter. I’ve heard the entertainment district is quite loud so perhaps not ideal for going with a young child. My office is located very close to union station. Thanks in advance for any advice!
Old Sep 28th 2019, 11:32 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to Toronto

I like the Beach and bicycled from there to near Union, taking the tram in winter. We originally moved out there from downtown so as to have room for a trampoline though the trampoline took up the entire back garden.
High Park and Leaside are the areas usually offered as alternatives. Cabbagetown would also work depending on your tolerance for things urban.
Old Sep 28th 2019, 1:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

DandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond repute

My son and daughter in law used to live in Runnymede. Has a lovely vibe to it... slightly further out of town but it has a village feel to it
Old Sep 30th 2019, 3:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

HGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond repute

What about Queen's Quay? more of a family feel, close to work and lots going on on the harbour front.
Old Sep 30th 2019, 3:23 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ChrisHugo87
Hi everyone, first post, My work have asked me to do a secondment to our offices in Toronto for 2 years, which I have agreed to and will be moving with my other half and recently 2 year old daughter in January (will likely be going out for a week or two first in November). I was hoping to get some recommendations of areas/neighbourhoods to look at living in, which would be central enough that we wouldn’t be too far from being able to really experience the culture and make the most of our time there, but also suitable to for our young daughter. I’ve heard the entertainment district is quite loud so perhaps not ideal for going with a young child. My office is located very close to union station. Thanks in advance for any advice!
Will the company be paying for it, or will you? What type of housing are you hoping for.. a townhouse / a detached house / an apartment / a condo - do you need outside space and do either of you drive or will you be relying on public transit? If you drive and hope to have a car, will the company be paying the costs? Is your daughter of an age to attend kindergarten/school or is she young enough that she will want playgrounds?
Old Sep 30th 2019, 4:19 pm
Just Joined

ChrisHugo87 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Siouxie
Will the company be paying for it, or will you? What type of housing are you hoping for.. a townhouse / a detached house / an apartment / a condo - do you need outside space and do either of you drive or will you be relying on public transit? If you drive and hope to have a car, will the company be paying the costs? Is your daughter of an age to attend kindergarten/school or is she young enough that she will want playgrounds?
Thanks all for the suggestions so far. The company is paying for the accommodation. Most likely looking for a condo or apartment. Outside space would be desirable. Car is undecided yet. My daughter has just turned 2 so won’t be at school but close by playground would be nice, We will be putting her into a daycare/nursery for a couple of days a week. Thank you. 😊
Old Oct 1st 2019, 5:59 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

For parks and playgrounds
https://www.savvymom.ca/article/the-...ds-in-toronto/
https://helpwevegotkids.com/toronto-...-special-trip/
https://www.toronto.ca/data/parks/pr...nds/index.html and https://www.toronto.ca/data/parks/ma...ter=PLAYGROUND

Licenced Daycare: https://www.toronto.ca/community-peo...ed-child-care/ (it's not cheap).

Regarding a vehicle, if you are going to be living in Toronto I wouldn't worry about having a vehicle full time, just rent one when you want to get out of town or have somewhere you need to be - insurance is horrendously expensive and parking difficult to find and often not included in rent.

Last edited by Siouxie; Oct 1st 2019 at 6:08 am.
Old Oct 1st 2019, 9:25 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Siouxie
For parks and playgrounds
https://www.savvymom.ca/article/the-...ds-in-toronto/
https://helpwevegotkids.com/toronto-...-special-trip/
https://www.toronto.ca/data/parks/pr...nds/index.html and https://www.toronto.ca/data/parks/ma...ter=PLAYGROUND

Licenced Daycare: https://www.toronto.ca/community-peo...ed-child-care/ (it's not cheap).

Regarding a vehicle, if you are going to be living in Toronto I wouldn't worry about having a vehicle full time, just rent one when you want to get out of town or have somewhere you need to be - insurance is horrendously expensive and parking difficult to find and often not included in rent.

Or join a car share scheme.
Old Oct 1st 2019, 11:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

This might be useful: Toronto Neighbourhood Map and GTA Map

Apart from the previous suggestions, also consider the Yonge/Eglinton and Yonge/Lawrence areas which are on the subway line to Union Station.
Old Oct 4th 2019, 8:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

OrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
I like the Beach and bicycled from there to near Union, taking the tram in winter. We originally moved out there from downtown so as to have room for a trampoline though the trampoline took up the entire back garden.
High Park and Leaside are the areas usually offered as alternatives. Cabbagetown would also work depending on your tolerance for things urban.
All nice areas, however one must also consider the monthly rent.

It's not easy to find anything decent below $ 1800 per month these days. Just to be warned. $ 2500 are more realistic for something nice.