Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Moving to Toronto

Moving to Toronto

Old Sep 7th 2016, 2:19 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to Toronto

Residential Tenancies Act, 2006, Ontario

60 days notice required unless it's a short term lease.

Old Sep 7th 2016, 9:51 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JamesM
Originally Posted by viajero
Just noticied this part.

Are you sure? I've never heard of an apartment building in Toronto that doesn't require an initial 12-month lease. After that, it's month-to-month, with usually a 60-day notice if you choose to move out.
That might be the case then. I haven't lived in an apartment for almost 6 years.
My daughter has lived in a few apartments in London, ON over the past few years and is currently living in one. She had to sign an initial 12 month lease on each occasion. It was the same for me in 3 different apartments many years ago when I lived in Toronto. It's possible to find furnished, short-term rentals (I've done that as well while looking for somewhere more permanent to live) but every unfurnished apartment I've seen has wanted the tenant to commit to an initial 12 month lease. Usually there is an option to sublet if you need to move before the initial 12 months is up.
Old Sep 7th 2016, 9:53 pm
Forum Regular

nfitz has much to be proud ofnfitz has much to be proud ofnfitz has much to be proud ofnfitz has much to be proud ofnfitz has much to be proud ofnfitz has much to be proud ofnfitz has much to be proud ofnfitz has much to be proud ofnfitz has much to be proud ofnfitz has much to be proud ofnfitz has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
A mere two years late for the Pan-American games in 2015, which was the main motivator for getting the project off (or rather under) the ground in the first place.
No it wasn't. Not sure why people think this.

Read the Pan-Am games bid document - there were no plans to have any facilities at York - the athletics stadium was supposed to be in Hamilton, until the city backed out later on.

The subway was never planned to open until Fall 2015 after the games.

Some people commented publicly, that the subway might be useful to the athletic stadium at York, assuming they could get a station open a few months early. But that was only ever supposition.