Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Moving to Toronto

Moving to Toronto

Old Sep 2nd 2016, 3:30 pm
Forum Regular

Ebonhawke has a reputation beyond reputeEbonhawke has a reputation beyond reputeEbonhawke has a reputation beyond reputeEbonhawke has a reputation beyond reputeEbonhawke has a reputation beyond reputeEbonhawke has a reputation beyond reputeEbonhawke has a reputation beyond reputeEbonhawke has a reputation beyond reputeEbonhawke has a reputation beyond reputeEbonhawke has a reputation beyond reputeEbonhawke has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to Toronto

Originally Posted by Smithy85UK
Thanks to everyone for the replies.

I will be new to driving and Canada and I will do my driving test in Toronto so I will look into insurance in the first instance but also schemes like Zipcar.
I would strongly recommend that, when looking into auto insurance, that you use an insurance broker, rather than working directly with a particular insurance company (Desjardins, Dominion, Geico etc.) Because of your particular situation, your rates will change rapidly over a relatively short period of time, and a broker will be able to compare rates from many different companies to find you the best option.

Also, using a broker will also allow you to ask questions about situations, process etc., that you shouldn't ask your insurance provider directly. There are some insurance providers, but not all, that will actually raise your rates because you asked questions about coverage, or asked them a question that they could imply indicated you had an incident, which increases your risk - even if you never had or claimed for an incident

An example would be asking "Theoretically, If I have a $1000 deductible, and had an incident that caused $2000 damage, would it be better to simply pay the $2000 out of pocket, or submit a claim for the $1000 over my deductible?" The insurance provider may simply recommend that you make the claim, while a broker will be able to go through the longer-term consequences for making the claim which may illustrate that it's better to simply pay out of pocket.
Old Sep 2nd 2016, 3:35 pm
Banned

viajero is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
A mere two years late for the Pan-American games in 2015, which was the main motivator for getting the project off (or rather under) the ground in the first place.

Oh, Canada. Oh, Toronto, to paraphrase dear old Mordecai Richler.

Oi wey, as he might have better expressed it.
Well as you know, Toronto city council is notoriously dysfunctional.

Also, it has been poorly served by its mayors : first the erratic Lastman, followed by the union bootlicking marxist Miller, and then, of course, the Ford debacle. Pre-amalgamation, the old city of Toronto was led for many years by the ineffectual Barbara Hall.

In John Tory I think Torontonians finally have a good, competent mayor. I don't agree with all his decisions, but things do seem to be finally moving forward under his leadership.

Last edited by viajero; Sep 2nd 2016 at 4:19 pm. Reason: I meant "agree", not "disagree"
Old Sep 2nd 2016, 4:06 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ebonhawke
I would strongly recommend that, when looking into auto insurance, that you use an insurance broker, rather than working directly with a particular insurance company (Desjardins, Dominion, Geico etc.) Because of your particular situation, your rates will change rapidly over a relatively short period of time, and a broker will be able to compare rates from many different companies to find you the best option.

Also, using a broker will also allow you to ask questions about situations, process etc., that you shouldn't ask your insurance provider directly. There are some insurance providers, but not all, that will actually raise your rates because you asked questions about coverage, or asked them a question that they could imply indicated you had an incident, which increases your risk - even if you never had or claimed for an incident

An example would be asking "Theoretically, If I have a $1000 deductible, and had an incident that caused $2000 damage, would it be better to simply pay the $2000 out of pocket, or submit a claim for the $1000 over my deductible?" The insurance provider may simply recommend that you make the claim, while a broker will be able to go through the longer-term consequences for making the claim which may illustrate that it's better to simply pay out of pocket.
If there is an insurance company that has the degree of premium sensitivity suggested I haven't come across it. Ships are rated by people but cars are just rated by computer; live in Toronto +100%, new to country +50%, drive to work +20%, yadda, yadda. Prices vary between companies but the companies have strict formulas and generally no mechanism to translate doubt about an individual into premium variation.

I liked Mel Lastman as mayor, btw, he was hugely entertaining. Mayor is a largely ceremonial position so we may as well have a buffoon. I can't think of any mayor of Toronto without thinking of a cooking pot.
Old Sep 2nd 2016, 4:09 pm
Just Joined

Smithy85UK is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by MarylandNed
Interesting. I have soccer coaching licences (highest being NSCAA Premier) and have coached on and off over the past 15 years or so while holding down a full-time job. I have played with the idea of coaching full-time once all the kids have finished college. Is Toronto a place where you can make a good living as a soccer coach? I played amateur indoor and outdoor soccer when I lived in Toronto but I only really got into coaching when my kids started playing in the US. Unless you're a full-time Director of Coaching or Technical Director (some jobs involve both roles), I would imagine that you would have to take on 2-3 teams yourself and also get involved in training sessions for others. I'm assuming there must be a large number of indoor facilities to keep you active over the long winter months.
Good to know there is another coach on the forum

Coming from Europe, pretty much all of N America is a good place to make a living as a coach. Of course, the minimum required to live in places like LA/NYC or other big cities are different but a lot of coaches in the UK/Europe want to get to N America as there are FT jobs in coaching and the money is better than the UK. I've been fortunate enough to work for professional clubs in England and Spain but the FT job offers are barely minimum wage by UK standards.

I will be a DOC and set up a coach education program at the club so FT with one club.
Old Sep 2nd 2016, 4:09 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by viajero
Well as you know, Toronto city council is notoriously dysfunctional.

Also, it has been poorly served by its mayors : first the erratic Lastman, followed by the union bootlicking marxist Miller, and then, of course, the Ford debacle. Pre-amalgamation, the old city of Toronto was led for many years by the ineffectual Barbara Hall.
"Many" being precisely 3 years (94-97). Her predecessor was June Rowland (also 3 years in office) who followed Art Eggleton (1980-91).

I'm not going to bother addressing your characterisation of David Miller.
Old Sep 2nd 2016, 4:12 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

I don't know if he had policies but he was wonderfully rumpled, he looked like one of the cast of Last of the Summer Wine.
Old Sep 2nd 2016, 4:24 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
I don't know if he had policies but he was wonderfully rumpled, he looked like one of the cast of Last of the Summer Wine.
Or Steptoe & Son.
Old Sep 2nd 2016, 4:33 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by dbd33
I liked Mel Lastman as mayor, btw, he was hugely entertaining. Mayor is a largely ceremonial position so we may as well have a buffoon. I can't think of any mayor of Toronto without thinking of a cooking pot.
Lastman was a showman but he did keep the finances reasonably in order if I recall correctly. He managed to get a subway built - okay, it was a "stubway" and Sheppard should not have been the TTC's development priority, but the street is the major thoroughfare of north Toronto and I personally don't consider any subway construction wasted money.

Compared to the two disasters that followed him I'd say Lastman looks pretty good. Generally speaking though, I think John Tory is a cut above all of them.
Old Sep 2nd 2016, 4:35 pm
Banned

"Many" being precisely 3 years (94-97). Her predecessor was June Rowland (also 3 years in office) who followed Art Eggleton (1980-91).

Blondie is better off forgotten anyway.

Noted re: my error about Barbara Hall. I thought she had been mayor for longer than that.
Old Sep 2nd 2016, 4:40 pm
Born again atheist

Originally Posted by viajero
Blondie is better off forgotten anyway.

Noted re: my error about Barbara Hall. I thought she had been mayor for longer than that.
You're probably mixing her up with Hazel.
Old Sep 2nd 2016, 4:46 pm
Banned

You're probably mixing her up with Hazel.
Haha, no, not in the slightest. I'm well aware who Hazel McCallion is.
Old Sep 3rd 2016, 3:37 pm
Just Joined

Smithy85UK is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks again to everyone for the replies.

Another thing I wanted to ask is, We will be arriving in Toronto anytime between 3rd week of Oct to 2nd week of November depending on visa/flights/dog transports etc, What will the weather actually be like at that time of year in Toronto?
Old Sep 3rd 2016, 3:58 pm
Forum Regular

Ebonhawke has a reputation beyond reputeEbonhawke has a reputation beyond reputeEbonhawke has a reputation beyond reputeEbonhawke has a reputation beyond reputeEbonhawke has a reputation beyond reputeEbonhawke has a reputation beyond reputeEbonhawke has a reputation beyond reputeEbonhawke has a reputation beyond reputeEbonhawke has a reputation beyond reputeEbonhawke has a reputation beyond reputeEbonhawke has a reputation beyond repute

Another thing I wanted to ask is, We will be arriving in Toronto anytime between 3rd week of Oct to 2nd week of November depending on visa/flights/dog transports etc, What will the weather actually be like at that time of year in Toronto?
There are a few sites on the web where you can view historical weather data for particular dates, I've linked to a site that lists the weather for November of last year, but the time of year that you're arriving can be quite variable

https://www.timeanddate.com/weather/...h=11&year=2015

In general, I would expect highs around 10-15C, with overnight lows in single digits. There may be a few nights where it will dip below freezing, and there's a chance of a light snowfall or two. Because the ground (hopefully) isn't frozen yet, the snow won't stick around
Old Sep 5th 2016, 5:47 pm
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks a lot, James. Really appreciate your reply.

I will be working in High Park initially but with my job I will be travelling around the City to a few different locations. I will get a car before spring just need to get there and settled first.

I'm not too bothered about building credit up quickly, just as long as we can get an apartment and open a bank account, the other things are not so much of a worry.

How long have you lived in Toronto? Do you like it?
I've been here full time almost 7 years. Arrived when I was 30.

It's safe and friendly and in my opinion the nightlife has dramatically improved during that time.

People aren't as streetwise or switched on as back home and beer costs more.

It's not the best place for my profession but the golf courses and snowboarding proximity help me enjoy life. My neighbourhood also has a solid core of locals which is something I never found in London.

I was considering going home but Brexit scuppered that in the short term.

Around High Park there is some nice pubs/brunch spots and the park itself is pretty cool.

Once you figure out how to get round and make a few friends you'll be fine.

Last edited by JamesM; Sep 5th 2016 at 5:51 pm.
Old Sep 5th 2016, 5:52 pm
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute

Similar to in the UK.

It's a good time to go and get yourself a decent winter coat, a tuque (wool hat) and some gloves.

You never want to be caught with out those once January hits through to about Mid-April most years.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.