Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Moving to study in Canada

Moving to study in Canada

Old Nov 7th 2012, 10:34 am
Just Joined

LewMcC is an unknown quantity at this point
Post Moving to study in Canada

Hi there over the past few months I've been looking into moving to Canada (Toronto) and finishing my uni degree (accountancy) there. What I'd like to know is what qualifications do I need to get accepted to the course and also where would the best place be to get student finance?

Thanks for your help, Lewis
Old Nov 7th 2012, 10:36 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to study in Canada

Hi, and welcome to BE.

For admissions criteria, you'll need to contact the university you are interested in attending, as each will have their own criteria so it will depend.

Don't think you'd get student finance as an international student, and it's a condition of the study permit that you show you've got the tuition fees plus at least $10k a year in living expenses.

HTH, good luck.
Old Nov 7th 2012, 10:43 am
Just Joined

Thanks for the quick reply,

Yea I've emailed the college but haven't got a reply yet.

I don't think I could get a loan from the British government but are there any uk banks that would give me a loan?
Old Nov 7th 2012, 10:46 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by LewMcC
I don't think I could get a loan from the British government but are there any uk banks that would give me a loan?
Not a clue I'm afraid, you'd need to contact them and see if it's something they would lend for.

Any particular reason you can't finish the degree in the UK and then move to Canada if that's what you want? Would be a heck of a lot cheaper than the $20-30k a year or so it'll cost you in Canada!
Old Nov 7th 2012, 12:51 pm
Just Joined

The accounting degree will be shorter in Canada and when I was on holiday I talked to a Canadian accountant and he said my degree might not be recognised or wanted by employers. So he said it'd be easier for me to get a job in Canada if I had a Canadian degree
Old Nov 7th 2012, 2:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

burton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond repute

The accounting degree will be shorter in Canada and when I was on holiday I talked to a Canadian accountant and he said my degree might not be recognised or wanted by employers. So he said it'd be easier for me to get a job in Canada if I had a Canadian degree
Our accounting degrees are 4 years and it all depends what type of accounting you are going to be doing.

Any chartered Canadian Accountant will require a full degree and then also the completion of the chartered exam out here called the UFE.

Your UK degree will be recognised but if you start to study as an accountant under ACCA or ICAEW then that wont be you will have to take a Reciprosity exam to switch from a ACA to a CA.

Each PRovince has its own institute unlike England so you really need to know exactly where you are going to check out the institute website for that province to see how your education stands
Old Nov 7th 2012, 2:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

burton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Hi, and welcome to BE.

For admissions criteria, you'll need to contact the university you are interested in attending, as each will have their own criteria so it will depend.

Don't think you'd get student finance as an international student, and it's a condition of the study permit that you show you've got the tuition fees plus at least $10k a year in living expenses.

HTH, good luck.
And I think that you can only work on campus for the first 9 months then you can get a TWP - I would think that it would be hard not to work while you are doing the degree too
Old Nov 7th 2012, 8:05 pm
Just Joined

That's great thanks for the help
Old Nov 7th 2012, 8:13 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by burton bunch
And I think that you can only work on campus for the first 9 months then you can get a TWP - I would think that it would be hard not to work while you are doing the degree too
You seem knowledgeable on the subject, but I'm unaware of accountancy degrees in Ontario. The OP mentioned a college in one post and university elsewhere. Could s/he clarify?
Old Nov 7th 2012, 10:13 pm
Just Joined

Humber college and the university of Toronto are two that I've looked at
Old Nov 7th 2012, 10:34 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Humber college and the university of Toronto are two that I've looked at
I didn't know that U of T does accountancy degrees. Is it called something different, such as Business Studies? They don't do undergraduate law degrees either. It's like being in a different country sometimes.

If you go to e.g. Humber, you'll face several years of additional study before you can call yourself a professional accountant. (I believe, no expert).
Old Nov 7th 2012, 10:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
I didn't know that U of T does accountancy degrees. Is it called something different, such as Business Studies? They don't do undergraduate law degrees either. It's like being in a different country sometimes.

If you go to e.g. Humber, you'll face several years of additional study before you can call yourself a professional accountant. (I believe, no expert).
I know the Uni of Lethbridge is a business management with accounting as a major and yes you are right doing the degree doesnt qualify you to become chartered - that entails further study of about 3 years
Old Nov 7th 2012, 11:01 pm
Born again atheist

Originally Posted by burton bunch
I know the Uni of Lethbridge is a business management with accounting as a major and yes you are right doing the degree doesnt qualify you to become chartered - that entails further study of about 3 years
Yes, I just checked and the U of T (Scarborough Campus) offers a Bachelors degree in Business Administration. And yes, this doesn't qualify students to call themselves an accountant in any meaningful sense.
Old Nov 8th 2012, 12:04 am
Just Joined

I know that after any accounting degree anywhere I'll need additional study to become a chartered accountant
Old Nov 8th 2012, 12:13 am
Just Joined

U of T does a degree rotman commerce which I think is more accountancy based