Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Moving from NS to PEI...??

Moving from NS to PEI...??

Old Jul 16th 2012, 11:20 am
BE Enthusiast

Nicola N-A is a name known to allNicola N-A is a name known to allNicola N-A is a name known to allNicola N-A is a name known to allNicola N-A is a name known to allNicola N-A is a name known to allNicola N-A is a name known to allNicola N-A is a name known to allNicola N-A is a name known to allNicola N-A is a name known to allNicola N-A is a name known to all
Default Moving from NS to PEI...??

Hi all. There is a possibility that we may have to move from NS to Kings County, PEI. Can anyone share any thoughts/experiences on the practicalities of a province to province move or what it's like in Kings County (it would be near Montague or at least commuting distance). I have 3 children that would be going into grades 1, 4 & 8 this September, so schools are important. Need as much help as possible........not sure what to do! Thank you!
Old Jul 16th 2012, 11:26 am
Account Closed

jericho is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Moving from NS to PEI...??

As moves go, it would be easy as you could simply drive it- either hire a van and drive all your stuff yourself, or get a pod.

Not really sure why you would chose to move to PEI from NS though- less employment, lower wages, less to do...
Old Jul 16th 2012, 11:45 am
BE Enthusiast

Nicola N-A is a name known to allNicola N-A is a name known to allNicola N-A is a name known to allNicola N-A is a name known to allNicola N-A is a name known to allNicola N-A is a name known to allNicola N-A is a name known to allNicola N-A is a name known to allNicola N-A is a name known to allNicola N-A is a name known to allNicola N-A is a name known to all

Thanks for the reply Jericho.....as for why the move...might not have a choice if other half wants to keep/progress in his job.....the company could be relocating.
Old Jul 16th 2012, 1:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

anybody at all with views on PEI or the practical side of moving.....new driving licence/health cards etc??

The quietness is making me wonder if I'll be living there alone
Old Jul 16th 2012, 2:05 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Swapping over health cards driving licences should be straight forward.
I hear PEI now has FM radio and cable TV and celluar phone coverage.
Rent that U Haul and either drive across the Bridge or take the ferry either way its FREE you only pay when you leave the Island.
Good thing is you are never more than 20 minutes from the sea.
Slower pace of life though most Islanders head to Moncton or Halifax for big shops or fun. A bit dead in winter but full of tourists in summer. Great golf courses (some expensive).
Old Jul 16th 2012, 5:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

thanks for the comments......this has been dropped on me a bit and I'm just trying to find out as much as possible!
Old Jul 16th 2012, 11:51 pm
Forum Regular

feralbob has a reputation beyond reputeferalbob has a reputation beyond reputeferalbob has a reputation beyond reputeferalbob has a reputation beyond reputeferalbob has a reputation beyond reputeferalbob has a reputation beyond reputeferalbob has a reputation beyond reputeferalbob has a reputation beyond reputeferalbob has a reputation beyond reputeferalbob has a reputation beyond reputeferalbob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
Swapping over health cards driving licences should be straight forward.
I hear PEI now has FM radio and cable TV and celluar phone coverage.
Rent that U Haul and either drive across the Bridge or take the ferry either way its FREE you only pay when you leave the Island.
Good thing is you are never more than 20 minutes from the sea.
Slower pace of life though most Islanders head to Moncton or Halifax for big shops or fun. A bit dead in winter but full of tourists in summer. Great golf courses (some expensive).
Yes it's a smaller place but it's not totally backwards.

I disagree with the statement that most people head to Moncton or Halifax. Plenty to do if you make use of it. Just like living anywhere. I live in Charlottetown. Montague is smaller and of course has less in it. ABout a 45 min drive to Charlottetown.

Feel free to ask specifics.

B
Old Jul 17th 2012, 12:51 am
BE Enthusiast

thanks B, I may well pick your brains in the not too distant future!!
Old Jul 17th 2012, 1:01 am
Scottish Canuck

Cookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond repute

I love PEI. It's a beautiful island and has a great Uni (including veterinary school) and college. For the size of the island, there is plenty going on with festivals/entertainment, lots of shopping, many great restaurants and abundant local crafts.

Not surprisingly, lots of Nova Scotians vacation in PEI over the summer months. I recently took my Scottish visitors over there for a few days. I could easily see myself living there (and I live in NS). Another expat I know said that if she had seen PEI first she would have emigrated there instead of Nova Scotia.
Old Jul 17th 2012, 1:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

Thanks Cookie - it's always nice to hear what others think of something.

We'll definitely be making some trips there - can't make a decision without a look around! It's not that I am wary of going somewhere with a slower pace - we did that in the UK. I'm more nervous of having moved to NS from the UK and all the work and effort that took - most of that happened after arriving - and now having to do it all again. Move somewhere without knowing anyone and new schools etc....... add to that the fact that we're not unhappy where we are, but we wouldn't be able to maintain it here with no job!
Old Jul 17th 2012, 7:02 pm
Forum Regular

JoanS is on a distinguished road

I am in Summerside, and just love PEI. Have been here 21/2 years. Yes its quiet. Nothing like Toronto etc but we love it.
Old Jul 17th 2012, 7:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

Smile Re: Moving from NS to PEI...??

I have never been to Toronto and don't think I'd like to live somewhere that busy! I don't mind the idea of rural - I lived in Norfolk for several years and loved it there.......but there is rural and then there is 'rural'. I guess I won't truly know until we visit........ but I do appreciate your input, thanks
Old Jul 17th 2012, 8:40 pm
Forum Regular

JoanS is on a distinguished road

The people here are so wonderful, and we do have shops etc in Charlottetown. Just wanted you to know we love it, but I suppose it depends on what you want.
Old Jul 18th 2012, 12:06 am
Pictou County Superstarâ„¢

Greenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond repute

That statement just lost you all your remaining credibility and respect on this forum.

PEI is a wonderful place but I can't imagine cable TV or FM radio (if it's anything like that in NS) being a "value add" to the province.

You, sir, are in clear and dire need of a vacation.

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
I hear PEI now has FM radio and cable TV
Old Jul 18th 2012, 2:12 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Greenhill

That statement just lost you all your remaining credibility and respect on this forum.

PEI is a wonderful place but I can't imagine cable TV or FM radio (if it's anything like that in NS) being a "value add" to the province.

You, sir, are in clear and dire need of a vacation.
Obviously that statement went woosh right over the top of your head.
PEI amongst other Provinces have been the butt of jokes for years.
Did you ever see that Rick Mercer show interviewing Americans and feeding them info like Canada has just discovered FM radio etc etc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wUE6Sl79rw8
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hs1UiT4GEIQ
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YZjx3o5KT58
Seeing as you are from the mainland I assume none of mainland Nova Scotians take the piss out of the Cape Bretoners regarding EI claims etc etc.

And yes Ive been to PEI several times and it is a wonderful place for a visit.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.