Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Moving with Lyme

Moving with Lyme

Old Sep 26th 2018, 5:26 pm
Forum Regular

DarwinCharles has a reputation beyond reputeDarwinCharles has a reputation beyond reputeDarwinCharles has a reputation beyond reputeDarwinCharles has a reputation beyond reputeDarwinCharles has a reputation beyond reputeDarwinCharles has a reputation beyond reputeDarwinCharles has a reputation beyond reputeDarwinCharles has a reputation beyond reputeDarwinCharles has a reputation beyond reputeDarwinCharles has a reputation beyond reputeDarwinCharles has a reputation beyond repute
Default Moving with Lyme

Hello all,

Im new here and wonder if anyone can help me ?
I am a Canadian born in the UK and only just got given my citizenship (due to law complications) and as such have not yet built up a pot. I am on a form of disability in the UK following care under consultants.

I was an undergraduate Psychologist and fell sick after a tick bite but completed my degree from my bed. I would like to relocate to Canada but cannot work just yet, though for now would try to sit a Masters degree part time.

Could anyone offer advice as to what happens to citizens like me ? My family have always worked for themselves in Canada so I'm unsure as to how I could possibly get support until I can return to part time work or work from home using my professional training.

Kind regards

Last edited by DarwinCharles; Sep 26th 2018 at 5:44 pm.
Old Sep 26th 2018, 5:59 pm
Tea Drinker

Danny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving with Lyme

Are you asking if you can move to Canada and get financial support from the CDN government until you find work in Canada? If so, where do you intend to live during this time?
Old Sep 26th 2018, 5:59 pm
Seasoned Maritimer

Tangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond repute

Are you asking how you can move or how you can be supported ? If the former, you are a citizen so you can move any time you like.
Old Sep 26th 2018, 6:06 pm
Forum Regular

DarwinCharles has a reputation beyond reputeDarwinCharles has a reputation beyond reputeDarwinCharles has a reputation beyond reputeDarwinCharles has a reputation beyond reputeDarwinCharles has a reputation beyond reputeDarwinCharles has a reputation beyond reputeDarwinCharles has a reputation beyond reputeDarwinCharles has a reputation beyond reputeDarwinCharles has a reputation beyond reputeDarwinCharles has a reputation beyond reputeDarwinCharles has a reputation beyond repute

Yes I'm unsure how it all works despite my research. I don't want to be kept of Canada because of the illness I now have, my sister and family will relocate too so I'd prefer to go to B.C area where they will be. Are disabled allowed to be supported for a time ? I will be on the way to gaining what I need to be a Psychologist in Canada but the illness restricts my activity, frustratingly. I'd paid in- in the UK having worked from age 16 but not in Canada.

Thank you.
Old Sep 26th 2018, 6:35 pm
Tea Drinker

Danny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond repute

Well first of all I commend you for wanting to finish your degree with lyme disease, that is a huge feat in itself. Regarding moving to Canada and receiving government support, I cannot imagine you would see any help for years. Despite you being a citizen of Canada, you cannot expect to arrive in a country you haven't lived in before and start receiving financial support.
Have you spoke to anyone in the BC Government? I would read through the BC Gov website and start making a few calls just to be sure

https://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/f...for-assistance
Old Sep 26th 2018, 6:40 pm
Forum Regular

Thank you kindly.

It wasted my mitochondria so where I used to cliff climb, research on treks and play tennis.. I'm now partially bed bound but I'm determind to make a life if I can. In order to practice in Canada, I need to do that under a Canadian Masters degree.

Thank you kindly for your supportive words and I will check the website out.
Old Sep 26th 2018, 11:07 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

It would appear from what poster Jsmth321 has said in the past that BC is much kinder to people with disabilities than other provinces.
Old Sep 27th 2018, 12:09 am
BE Forum Addict

scilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond repute

I suspect that a non-citizen wanting to become a PR in Canada might well be refused on the grounds of the medical condition and the cost it would be to the health services.

A resident of Canada wishing to sponsor a child or parent to be accepted has to provide financial help to the dependent, and again the potential cost of a disability is taken into consideration. I don't know where you fit into this as you have family here.

From all that I have read regarding Lyme Disease (we have at least one friend who has been affected), it is still difficult to even get a proper diagnosis in Canada, it is not unknown for sufferers to have to go to a doctor in the States.

I think it might be advisable for you to contact the BC government site as suggested by Danny B

BC may be kinder than other provinces to people with disabilities, but it is pretty abysmal and still far behind the aid you get in the UK!

Last edited by scilly; Sep 27th 2018 at 12:14 am.
Old Sep 27th 2018, 12:15 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scilly
I suspect that a non-citizen wanting to become a PR in Canada might well be refused on the grounds of the medical condition and the cost it would be to the health services.
The OP does say he's a Canadian Citizen though.
BC may be kinder than other provinces to people with disabilities, but it is pretty abysmal and still far behind the aid you get in the UK!
True enough.
Old Sep 27th 2018, 3:36 am

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

If you need financial support, I would not be considering a move to Canada when in need of support before arriving. What will you do if you don't get it?
In BC there is a Persons with Disabilities designation, if one qualifies. You will only know if you might get it after applying and you have to be a BC resident on MSP to apply. A doctor has to fill in the form, you need to be on BC medical (approx 3 months wait after arriving) and the sum is around $1000 a month.

https://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/g...nd-application

Once on PWD, a claimant can earn up to $9600 a year without it affecting the benefit. Any unearned income is taken off the benefit dollar for dollar. If one does not receive a payment, due to ineligibility, for 3 months I believe, they have to go through the whole application process again. In my opinion, Canada is not somewhere to be with a disability.

Last edited by Aviator; Sep 27th 2018 at 3:39 am.
Old Sep 27th 2018, 11:34 am
Oscar nominated

Originally Posted by Aviator
If you need financial support, I would not be considering a move to Canada when in need of support before arriving. What will you do if you don't get it?
Generally good advice, but the OP is looking for temporary assistance.
In my opinion, Canada is not somewhere to be with a disability.
Having experienced a few years as a carer I agree. But the main difficulties - depending on the disability - revolve around financial independence, family support and the practicalities of getting around. The latter part would, I imagine, be much less difficult in a BC winter than one in NB. The OP will have family there.
In BC there is a Persons with Disabilities designation, if one qualifies. You will only know if you might get it after applying and you have to be a BC resident on MSP to apply. A doctor has to fill in the form, you need to be on BC medical (approx 3 months wait after arriving) and the sum is around $1000 a month.
Once on PWD, a claimant can earn up to $9600 a year without it affecting the benefit.
Useful information
Assuming the OP has some funds for the early period and he's able to share housing costs, he might manage on that initial $12k a year (if eligible, of course) knowing that he could top up to $21600 with some part time work.

Obviously minimising housing costs is a vital part and with the necessary family support it might be feasible. He'd need to be sure that the $1000 a month isn't subject to reduction due to incomes of others in the household like some provincial assistance is.

The OP does sound like he wants to make a go of it.
Old Sep 27th 2018, 2:32 pm
Forum Regular

Thank you kindly all. It's a difficult situation as we are due to go area hunting after Xmas, Kelowna area. I have to admit, it doesn't sound good. I am a Canadian citizen of a Canadian father, grandmother and great grandfather who worked in Rideau Hall.

As mentioned, I unfortunately havent been able to pay in to the system as it were. Sudden illness in your 30s has been difficult. To gain work from home, I need to qualify as a Canadian Psychologist, so will have to study there. If I study here in the UK, support is also difficult but I'll end up with a qualification thats unusable in Canada.

Where we live has gone from being a lovely town to a deprived area. To get a home with any grass or space is impossible almost. Id like a better quality of life. The UK isnt bad but it too is becoming bad for the sick and disabled. I know in all countries we all assume it's better elsewhere and Ive travelled a fair bit, though I'd just like to be where my family is and see the outdoors.

Re Lyme in Canada, Ive seen the difficulty people have and find themselves in the U.S, the U.K is the same, no treatment beyond a few weeks pills IF its diagnosed properly.

If I stay here, I can cope IF they allow me to be on disability, that means going through tests yearly and sometimes a court case..which I had to do. Once I can work from home, I can help myself. Maybe I can find an online Masters to do from here prior to arrival.

Thank you kindly all.
​​
Old Sep 27th 2018, 3:36 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

PWD can be permanent or temporary, however it is hard to qualify for and a new resident would not be able to apply for several months and then no surety of acceptance. EI sickness is not an option if one has not paid into EI. I am not aware of any govt sickness benefits at all, this is why many folks take out short term disability insurance, which of course one cannot get is of one is already sick. From my experience, the UK looks after sick and disabled way better than any province in Canada. Here you are pretty much on your own and hope for family support.
Old Sep 27th 2018, 7:23 pm
Forum Regular

Collie has a reputation beyond reputeCollie has a reputation beyond reputeCollie has a reputation beyond reputeCollie has a reputation beyond reputeCollie has a reputation beyond reputeCollie has a reputation beyond reputeCollie has a reputation beyond reputeCollie has a reputation beyond reputeCollie has a reputation beyond reputeCollie has a reputation beyond reputeCollie has a reputation beyond repute

I think you need to be wary about assuming that completing a Masters degree will allow you to practice psychology - whether from home or somewhere else. A doctoral degree is more usual. And to further complicate matters, provinces differ in their requirements for registration as a psychologist. You don't say what sort of psychologist you plan to become, but it would be worthwhile looking at the Canadian Psychological Association website https://cpa.ca/practitioners/practiceregulation before making plans! This website also has links to the various provincial/territorial societies. But you're correct - unless you're looking at an academic post with a PhD, it is quite possible that you would be required to undergo additional training if you want to practice psychology in Canada with a UK doctoral qualification in psychology. It's a tricky area, and one which needs a fair bit of research - especially when weighing up several different factors, as in your case!
Old Sep 27th 2018, 7:35 pm
Forum Regular

Thank you,
Yes it really is. I'm aware I need a Phd to set up a physical practice though I may offer a type of online quick app for every day short term issues. I sat in both mental health and evolutionary psychobiology.

A lot to think about but it is very hard for people like me to get back in to supporting oneself when you need to work from home.

Thank you everyone who has helped me, it is refreshing to gain support and understanding.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.