Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Moving to Canada this week!! Yikes!

Moving to Canada this week!! Yikes!

Old Aug 21st 2007, 11:24 am
Forum Regular

guinivere is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving to Canada this week!! Yikes!

Hi Everyone, Just found your site and its great to know there are so many others out there with these crazy ideas of leaving the UK
One question if anyone can answer:-

I am looking for a private insurance company for when i move to canada next week. I have searched through so many and not getting very far......can anyone recommend one. I havent a job out there, I will be working for myself - my children are going to private school and have their student visas. I have a house there already, but this time will be staying hopefully couple of years to do research over there for UK company.

G.
Old Aug 21st 2007, 11:34 am
Banned

Howard1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud of
Default Re: Moving to Canada this week!! Yikes!

What type, Health, Dental, Life, Disability???
Old Aug 21st 2007, 11:57 am
Forum Regular

I would like full cover if i can get it cheap............otherwise will have to do with whatever is on offer.........where to start for cheap cover for the brits in canada would be good...........there must be other people out there that have been through this Please!!!!!!!
Old Aug 21st 2007, 2:29 pm
Forum Regular

Alison33 is a name known to allAlison33 is a name known to allAlison33 is a name known to allAlison33 is a name known to allAlison33 is a name known to allAlison33 is a name known to allAlison33 is a name known to allAlison33 is a name known to allAlison33 is a name known to allAlison33 is a name known to allAlison33 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by guinivere
I would like full cover if i can get it cheap............otherwise will have to do with whatever is on offer.........where to start for cheap cover for the brits in canada would be good...........there must be other people out there that have been through this Please!!!!!!!
Hiya

Have you tried Pacific Blue Cross. I have heard that they are very good and competatively priced. You can get quotes off of their website.

https://www.pbchbs.com/travelweb/vtctripparams.aspx

Hope the above link works. If not try a search on Blue Cross Insurance.

Best of luck with your move.
Old Aug 21st 2007, 3:34 pm
Banned

Surrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond repute

Where are you moving to?
Thee following are companies I am using in BC
Local to BC
http://www.schmunkgattsmith.com/

Across Canada
http://www.hubinternational.com/hubtos/index.aspx

If you are self employed you might want to think about joining the local Chamber of Commerce as they have a special plan for members.

If you are self employed this might be a useful resource
www.cfib.ca
Old Aug 21st 2007, 5:09 pm
Banned

Surrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Howard1944
What type, Health, Dental, Life, Disability???
No such thing as cheap insurance. Medical coverage for our family on a preferred rate for a private plan though a trade association is approx $320 per month. Blue cross is cheaper, but with significantly more restrictions. Cost depends on whether you want dental, and the percentage you are willing to pay as a deductible, we have 100% coverage, you can opt to pay up to 30% deductible and the premium will be less. Disability & life are separate, there is also critical illness. Insurance companies will sell you almost anything if you are willing to pay the price - but they don't plan on losing out. They'll get you one way or the other.
Old Aug 22nd 2007, 10:58 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Surrey Expat
No such thing as cheap insurance. Medical coverage for our family on a preferred rate for a private plan though a trade association is approx $320 per month. Blue cross is cheaper, but with significantly more restrictions. Cost depends on whether you want dental, and the percentage you are willing to pay as a deductible, we have 100% coverage, you can opt to pay up to 30% deductible and the premium will be less. Disability & life are separate, there is also critical illness. Insurance companies will sell you almost anything if you are willing to pay the price - but they don't plan on losing out. They'll get you one way or the other.
Hi I understand that there is not a cheap insurance - but the quotes i keep getting are so wide and varied for similar treatments - Its knowing who is good and reliable for a good price I was hoping to achieve. Can you let me know what one you are using - that sound good for a family at 100% Many thanx J.x
Old Aug 22nd 2007, 11:05 am
Forum Regular

Where are you moving to?
Thee following are companies I am using in BC
Local to BC
http://www.schmunkgattsmith.com/

Across Canada
http://www.hubinternational.com/hubtos/index.aspx

If you are self employed you might want to think about joining the local Chamber of Commerce as they have a special plan for members.

If you are self employed this might be a useful resource
www.cfib.ca
Many thanx for these - I have my own research via UK companies - nothing really to do with small business's in canada. I have been asked to do research from there - and for me it will be a better way of life to bring one's children up. j.x
Old Aug 22nd 2007, 2:31 pm
Banned

Hi I understand that there is not a cheap insurance - but the quotes i keep getting are so wide and varied for similar treatments - Its knowing who is good and reliable for a good price I was hoping to achieve. Can you let me know what one you are using - that sound good for a family at 100% Many thanx J.x
Our plan is through the Canadian Nursery Association. Your industry may have a similar group.

There is also the Chamber of Commerce group plan, e.g. BC Chamber at www.bcchmaber.org Other provinces have same sort of thing, which you can find through search engines. The chamber is open to all businesses & professionals in their area.

For individuals not in a group, Manulife offer www.coverme.com bit like Blue Cross. Have not used this program, but use Manulife for other things and they have been OK with us.

If I were going to narrow it down myself, I would look at a trade association plan (if your industry has such a thing), the Chamber of Commerce plan, Manulife Cover Me & Blue Cross.
Old Aug 22nd 2007, 3:01 pm
Banned

This is an insurance broker in Ontario who offers a variety of plans. They administer the nursery assoc group plan, as well as others for groups & individuals.

http://www.sinclaircockburn.com/
Old Aug 22nd 2007, 3:36 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Alison33
Hiya

Have you tried Pacific Blue Cross. I have heard that they are very good and competatively priced. You can get quotes off of their website.

https://www.pbchbs.com/travelweb/vtctripparams.aspx

Hope the above link works. If not try a search on Blue Cross Insurance.

Best of luck with your move.
Hi Alison, Have checked out Blue Cross but its only for Canadian residents I dont have landed immigrant status - not yet anyway.
Old Aug 22nd 2007, 3:38 pm
Forum Regular

This is an insurance broker in Ontario who offers a variety of plans. They administer the nursery assoc group plan, as well as others for groups & individuals.

http://www.sinclaircockburn.com/
Hi Surrey expat just checked their website but nothing there for non residents of canada - but will hopefully give them a ring later and see what they offer.........everything at the moment is for residents of canada. J.x
Old Aug 22nd 2007, 3:52 pm
Now on Vancouver Island

Judy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond repute

There is a Wiki article on Medical Insurance.

Within the last couple of days, Lorna_D said that she had obtained insurance from the Post Office in the UK to tide her over during the period in which she was travelling from the UK to Canada. It is very difficult to find a policy that will provide one with coverage during one's trip to Canada. The companies that provide normal travel insurance usually do not provide that insurance for the one-way trips that emigrants undertake. So it is a great relief to hear that the Post Office provides this kind of insurance. There is a link to the Post Office's website in the Wiki article.

If you're doing consulting work for a British company while you're in Canada, you'll be seen as a self-employed person from the point of view of the Canadian tax system, etc. There are dental and supplementary medical insurance plans that are specifically designed for self-employed people and the owners of small businesses. You can claim the premiums as an expense on your income tax return. QuickCard is one of the companies that provides that kind of insurance. Again, a link is provided in the Wiki article.

Hope that helps.
Old Aug 22nd 2007, 5:30 pm
Banned

Hi Surrey expat just checked their website but nothing there for non residents of canada - but will hopefully give them a ring later and see what they offer.........everything at the moment is for residents of canada. J.x
You will only be able to buy extended insurance as a legal resident. There are travel policies that are available for purchase here for visitors to the country though. However they are not as extensive as those you can buy in the UK or available on some credit cards. Read the small print though because I believe domicile may come in there somewhere.

Extended health is just that and extension of a provincial plan. You must have the prov. plan in order to get extended coverage.

If you have a one way ticket any travel insurance will cease as soon as you complete the journey i.e. arrive in Canada. Even the visitors insurance I believe will not work for one way tickets, if you intend to stay and are therefore no longer considered a visitor. Call a broker and ask their advice, if you get the answer you are looking for get it in writing.

Contact Hub International and ask for visitors insurance they may be able to help.

Traveling right now, will send a PM as soon as I get an opportunity.
Old Aug 22nd 2007, 5:41 pm
Now on Vancouver Island

Judy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond repute

If you have a one way ticket any travel insurance will cease as soon as you complete the journey i.e. arrive in Canada. Even the visitors insurance I believe will not work for one way tickets, if you intend to stay and are therefore no longer considered a visitor.
As Lorna_D told us yesterday, the Post Office in the UK sells insurance to emigrants on one-way tickets. One can purchase the insurance coverage for up to 17 days, which should enable one to be covered by the UK Post Office's insurance until one has established oneself as a bona fide resident in one's new country.