Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

moving to canada - question about school years

moving to canada - question about school years

Old Apr 11th 2011, 7:34 am
Forum Regular

blaise has a brilliant futureblaise has a brilliant futureblaise has a brilliant futureblaise has a brilliant futureblaise has a brilliant futureblaise has a brilliant future
Default moving to canada - question about school years

hi we are hoping to join my OH in canada soon, i have 2 children one 13, one 16, can anyone tell me what year they will be in when we go over ???
Old Apr 11th 2011, 7:38 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: moving to canada

As this is a schooling enquiry, I will move it to the main Canada forum, which is for general queries like this. The immigration forum is only for visa related queries etc. Also, I'll change your thread title - just for future reference, saying 'moving to Canada' doesn't really tell people what you are asking, so you're less likely to get a response.

It's also always worth checking the Wiki first, as that can often answer your question. This article may help............http://britishexpats.com/wiki/School_Age_Categories

Last edited by christmasoompa; Apr 11th 2011 at 7:42 am.
Old Apr 11th 2011, 7:41 am
Forum Regular

blaise has a brilliant futureblaise has a brilliant futureblaise has a brilliant futureblaise has a brilliant futureblaise has a brilliant futureblaise has a brilliant future
Default Re: moving to canada - question about school years

thank you
Old Apr 11th 2011, 12:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

HGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by blaise
hi we are hoping to join my OH in canada soon, i have 2 children one 13, one 16, can anyone tell me what year they will be in when we go over ???
School year is determined by the child's birth year. So all kids born in a certain year are in the same grade (rather than the August/September split that the UK has).

So your children's grade will depend on their birth year. For the 16 year old -if he/she was 16 this year (ie. birth year of 1995) then they would be in Grade 10 now, Grade 11 in September. If they are going to be 17 this year (ie. birth year 1994) then Grade 11 now and Grade 12 in September. For the 13 year old - same idea applies for a 1998 birth year it would be grade 7 now (8 in Sept), if 1997 then Grade 8 now.

This is how it works in Ontario and I believe the rest of Canada is the same - but if it isn't I have no doubt someone will be on to correct me.
Old Apr 11th 2011, 12:57 pm
Just Joined

glenndon is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by HGerchikov
School year is determined by the child's birth year. So all kids born in a certain year are in the same grade (rather than the August/September split that the UK has).

So your children's grade will depend on their birth year. For the 16 year old -if he/she was 16 this year (ie. birth year of 1995) then they would be in Grade 10 now, Grade 11 in September. If they are going to be 17 this year (ie. birth year 1994) then Grade 11 now and Grade 12 in September. For the 13 year old - same idea applies for a 1998 birth year it would be grade 7 now (8 in Sept), if 1997 then Grade 8 now.

This is how it works in Ontario and I believe the rest of Canada is the same - but if it isn't I have no doubt someone will be on to correct me.
HGerchikov has the right idea. Best bet is to check the Ministry of Education website for whichever province you plan to go to. Up until a few years ago, Nova Scotia cut off date was October 31st vs. December 31st like most of the other provinces. And then the Quebec school system, they are a bit different as well and label their grades and years a bit different then everyone else.
Old Apr 11th 2011, 1:33 pm
Every day's a school day

cheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HGerchikov

Not so here In Edmonton the school year allocation is March - March rather than Sept - Sept
Old Apr 11th 2011, 1:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

britsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond repute

In Quebec the cut off date is September 30th.

Also you have to pass the year or you may be held back by up to 2 years. It is also possible to be brought forward if you have the ability (but less common).
Old Apr 11th 2011, 5:37 pm
half a century

The4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond repute

Greater Van is Jan to Jan - and yes they will bump you if necessary - daughter should have been gr 8 - went straight to enriched gr 9
Old Apr 11th 2011, 9:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

debbiem is a glorious beacon of lightdebbiem is a glorious beacon of lightdebbiem is a glorious beacon of lightdebbiem is a glorious beacon of lightdebbiem is a glorious beacon of lightdebbiem is a glorious beacon of lightdebbiem is a glorious beacon of lightdebbiem is a glorious beacon of lightdebbiem is a glorious beacon of lightdebbiem is a glorious beacon of lightdebbiem is a glorious beacon of light

28 Feb in Alberta. at least this part, anyways...

Not so simple, eh?
Old Apr 12th 2011, 3:52 pm
Just Joined

DASHouse is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: moving to canada - question about school years

Hi depends which province you are moving too, there are different rules in each province.

Not sure if you have seen this website yet?

http://ontario.compareschoolrankings...oseReport.aspx

it gives a grade on each school - bit like the league tables in the UK I suspect but may help with choosing schools. The boundaries (catchment areas) are rather varied some are huge and others just a couple of blocks, the school receptionist will be able to tell you what theirs are.

We are in Ontario, and my experience here has been that they are very strict, they also don't accelerate kids (move them up into a different class) and its a real fight to get the kids into ability appropriate classes - one thing I would really really strongly recommend is that you get the kids assessed ASAP - I was talked out of it and am still kicking myself. The schools can then see on paper what their abilities are as I have found that my 2 are between 2 and 3 years ahead of peers here.

My experience has been that the first time I talk to principals and teachers that their standard response is they have to be in age appropriate classes - end of story. But with continued talking and evidence from their schools in the UK I have finally managed to push the school to assess the eldest - they won't do my youngest until he is 2 years older, and develop an IEP - or individual education plan to allow him access to out of grade work. It may work differently with older kids, but they don't automatically assess kids each year its done across the board in grade 4 (age 9) and that's it.

Hope this helps, if you have any questions get it touch.

Harriet
Old Apr 12th 2011, 4:28 pm

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

If it helps, my 16 year old is in Grade 10. Two more years left of High school. She is however thinking of staying on for Grade 13 so she can do a Japanese exchange
Old Apr 14th 2011, 6:30 am
Forum Regular

thanks everyone for the replys that has really helped me to understand the system abit more