Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Moving to Canada for my families survival.

Moving to Canada for my families survival.

Old Jan 23rd 2009, 7:37 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to Canada for my families survival.

Originally Posted by gryphea
My beef with nuclear is we still don't know what to do with the waste. And of course in the UK we were acting as a dumping ground for the worlds nuclear spent fuel.
Yes that's true and one of the reasons I mentioned for reluctance about nuclear. But the conclusion I've come to is since we (or somebody else) has to solve that problem anyway, a bit more waste doesn't make a huge difference. On the other hand, I believe we can't afford to wait to reduce CO2 emissions (dramatically) without crossing the tipping point on climate change.

Lesser of two evils.
Old Jan 23rd 2009, 7:46 pm
Forum Regular

Cyan has a reputation beyond reputeCyan has a reputation beyond reputeCyan has a reputation beyond reputeCyan has a reputation beyond reputeCyan has a reputation beyond reputeCyan has a reputation beyond reputeCyan has a reputation beyond reputeCyan has a reputation beyond reputeCyan has a reputation beyond reputeCyan has a reputation beyond reputeCyan has a reputation beyond repute

From what I've seen and read lately, the UK strikes me as an amalgam of 'V for Vendetta', 'Children of Men' and 'Eden Lake' - all portraying a dystopian British society in various stages of disintegration.
Old Jan 23rd 2009, 7:51 pm
Forum Regular

moosey2canada has much to be proud ofmoosey2canada has much to be proud ofmoosey2canada has much to be proud ofmoosey2canada has much to be proud ofmoosey2canada has much to be proud ofmoosey2canada has much to be proud ofmoosey2canada has much to be proud ofmoosey2canada has much to be proud ofmoosey2canada has much to be proud ofmoosey2canada has much to be proud ofmoosey2canada has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by andyg
All western countries are in trouble but my point is that they COULD pull up the drawbridge with the range of resources available including energy, most commodities and potentially food, it would still be tough but the UK would have no chance.
You should probably be aware that currently 6 BILLION people are living on produce grown on 3% of the worlds surface only 11% of that (the original 3%) is classed as fertile growing area for food the UK has the highest proportion of this land of any one nation therefore we could revert back to self sustenence, as for fuel - anyone remember COAL we still have loads of it, so we might not be completely fubar'ed but just in case we are best bulk buy the wilkinson swords. just to remind you we have won two world wars and been home to some of the worlds greatest artists, writers, poets,politicians, singers, so we might not be a total loss.
Old Jan 23rd 2009, 7:55 pm
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moosey2canada
just to remind you we have won two world wars and been home to some of the worlds greatest artists, writers, poets,politicians, singers, so we might not be a total loss.
You seem to be mistaking yourself for an American...now that's a slipery slope!

Granted, Britain didnt get invaded in two world wars, but its pretty clear to anyone who wants to look at it that it was the decision of the Americans to enter the frey that was the decisive factor in victory.
Old Jan 23rd 2009, 8:17 pm
Forum Regular

moosey2canada has much to be proud ofmoosey2canada has much to be proud ofmoosey2canada has much to be proud ofmoosey2canada has much to be proud ofmoosey2canada has much to be proud ofmoosey2canada has much to be proud ofmoosey2canada has much to be proud ofmoosey2canada has much to be proud ofmoosey2canada has much to be proud ofmoosey2canada has much to be proud ofmoosey2canada has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by iaink

Granted, Britain didnt get invaded in two world wars, but its pretty clear to anyone who wants to look at it that it was the decision of the Americans to enter the frey that was the decisive factor in victory.
Sorry but as the grand daughter and great granddaughter of men who fought in both wars i'm not getting into the who won what but from what my grandads told me the americans were a bunch of scaredy cats who killed more brits and their own than the enemy, and who only turned up at the last minute, i can't really get on board with the 'oh hark here come the yanks - we're saved' more like 'oh shit here come the yanks dont let your sons join up because the war mongerers will only get them killed by starting fights they can't finish i.e iraq, afgahnistan and if there was oil in gaza we'd be up to our tits in that too
Old Jan 23rd 2009, 8:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

gryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
Yes that's true and one of the reasons I mentioned for reluctance about nuclear. But the conclusion I've come to is since we (or somebody else) has to solve that problem anyway, a bit more waste doesn't make a huge difference. On the other hand, I believe we can't afford to wait to reduce CO2 emissions (dramatically) without crossing the tipping point on climate change.

Lesser of two evils.
Yes I am now coming around to nuclear too.
Old Jan 23rd 2009, 8:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

PeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iaink

By the time the yanks became involved, we had already started turning the war and more or less won the African struggle, the Yanks gave the extra manpower to do the invading.

Before that they bled us dry selling us ships and equipment which they detoured from route to the scrap heap. We only finished paying off the loans about 5-6 years ago.

They also devoured a lot of land that was ours in part exchange, many of which they later threw off the locals to explode nuclear bombs on. They have landing stations half way across the Atlantic that were ours.

Yeah, great friends they were.

The post above reminds me of the joke a 90 year old man told me last year, he said he met an old German man who had also fought in the war, they said you bombed we hid, we bombed you hid, the Americans bombed, everyone hid.
Old Jan 23rd 2009, 9:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

jimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by PeterF
By the time the yanks became involved, we had already started turning the war and more or less won the African struggle, the Yanks gave the extra manpower to do the invading.

Before that they bled us dry selling us ships and equipment which they detoured from route to the scrap heap. We only finished paying off the loans about 5-6 years ago.

They also devoured a lot of land that was ours in part exchange, many of which they later threw off the locals to explode nuclear bombs on. They have landing stations half way across the Atlantic that were ours.

Yeah, great friends they were.

The post above reminds me of the joke a 90 year old man told me last year, he said he met an old German man who had also fought in the war, they said you bombed we hid, we bombed you hid, the Americans bombed, everyone hid.
The US economy was certainly cucial to winning WW2. They didn't do it for free mind you and bankrupted the UK in the process. Main action was on the eastern front - western front was just a diversionary sideshow by comparison.
Old Jan 24th 2009, 2:03 am
No time for muppets!

Mikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of light

Allah Ahkbar!