Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Moving to Canada for my families survival.

Moving to Canada for my families survival.

Old Jan 22nd 2009, 5:18 pm
Forum Regular

andyg is a jewel in the roughandyg is a jewel in the roughandyg is a jewel in the roughandyg is a jewel in the rough
Default Moving to Canada for my families survival.

I am a UK citizen and am currently in the process of emigrating to
Canada with my wife and three children ( all under three and a bit! ).

I Fear that withen the next 20 years my children could be starving with the
UK on it`s knees and who knows what kind of regime the UK could be ruled by under those circumstances.

In my scenario most countries in the world will be suffering immensely under the pressure of growing and ageing populations chasing fewer resources.

While i think Canada is not immune and will certainly suffer, would people agree that ultimately Canada is in a far better position to survive then most other countries especially the UK, US and most European countries?

Would it be true to say that in a global armageddon triggered imo by a global financial collapse that Canada could pull up the drawbridge and be totally self sufficient?

( Happy soul arn`t i )

Last edited by andyg; Jan 22nd 2009 at 5:21 pm.
Old Jan 22nd 2009, 5:24 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to Canada for my families survival.

Blimey, surely that must be in line for the "most melodramatic post" award

The UK is a mature developed nation with a relatively prosperous economy, as well as a social safety net that is largely absent in many other develoiped nations (USA, Canada to some extent). Its a member of G8, Nato etc.

Society is in no more danger of crumbling there than it is in any other developed nation. To think otherwise is just a knee jerk reaction to reading the Daily Mail.

How do you think Canada is going to prosper in a new global green economy when it has the largest per capita carbon footprint on the planet due to a reliance on cars to cover the enormous distances here, and the need to deal with a long cold winter in all but one corner of the place. I cant help think that canada is going to have to change a lot more in the next twenty years than the UK will.

Canada cant be self sufficent, the entire economy is reliant on exporting goods and raw materials and energy to the US. Combine Canadas increasingly ageing population and a constant drain of people to better money and weather in the US, and there is no danger of Canada pulling up the drawbridge any time soon.

Last edited by iaink; Jan 22nd 2009 at 5:35 pm.
Old Jan 22nd 2009, 5:31 pm
Forum Regular

Helena81 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by iaink
Blimey, surely that in line for the "most melodramatic post" award
Old Jan 22nd 2009, 5:40 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by andyg
While i think Canada is not immune and will certainly suffer, would people agree that ultimately Canada is in a far better position to survive then most other countries especially the UK, US and most European countries?

Would it be true to say that in a global armageddon triggered imo by a global financial collapse that Canada could pull up the drawbridge and be totally self sufficient?
I'm sorry to say, but we'd be living under military occupation by our friends to the south long before we could even find the drawbridge.
Old Jan 22nd 2009, 5:44 pm

Cassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond repute

I am a UK citizen and am currently in the process of emigrating to
Canada with my wife and three children ( all under three and a bit! ).

I Fear that withen the next 20 years my children could be starving with the
UK on it`s knees and who knows what kind of regime the UK could be ruled by under those circumstances.

In my scenario most countries in the world will be suffering immensely under the pressure of growing and ageing populations chasing fewer resources.

( Happy soul arn`t i )

Is it really gong to be that bad?
Old Jan 22nd 2009, 5:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

Elaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond repute

After reading that I think I'll just slit my wrists and get it over with.
Old Jan 22nd 2009, 5:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

clynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Elaine B.
Would you like some musical accompaniment?

http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=r7XDVs0PI0E

http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=x1YkHJ...eature=related

http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=30egIKHT-pM
Old Jan 22nd 2009, 5:51 pm

Cassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Elaine B.
I had pictures of people starving and looking in trash cans and destroyed buildings.

I'll be honest the OP has scared the poo out of me.
Old Jan 22nd 2009, 5:53 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

It doesn't matter where you emigrate to my friend. The view from your bunker will be the same whereever you are.
Old Jan 22nd 2009, 5:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

Elaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks that will keep the kids quiet while I top myself.
Old Jan 22nd 2009, 6:02 pm
Forum Regular

andyg is a jewel in the roughandyg is a jewel in the roughandyg is a jewel in the roughandyg is a jewel in the rough

Blimey, surely that must be in line for the "most melodramatic post" award

The UK is a mature developed nation with a relatively prosperous economy, as well as a social safety net that is largely absent in many other develoiped nations (USA, Canada to some extent). Its a member of G8, Nato etc.

So was Argentina at the turn of the century and many other countries over history that thought they were immune to extreme decline.
Social safety net....you have to be joking, the cupboard is bare i`m afraid.

Society is in no more danger of crumbling there than it is in any other developed nation. To think otherwise is just a knee jerk reaction to reading the Daily Mail.

That is my point they are all going to collapse imo, occasionally read the Mail, Viz and most newspapers but mainly read and study the economy and marvel at the ignorance and shortsightedness of most politicians

How do you think Canada is going to prosper in a new global green economy when it has the largest per capita carbon footprint on the planet due to a reliance on cars to cover the enormous distances here, and the need to deal with a long cold winter in all but one corner of the place. I cant help think that canada is going to have to change a lot more in the next twenty years than the UK will.

The green economy will go out of the window in my scenario, i take your point re the long cold winters but surely that little corner of Canada is actually enormous and could sustain 35 million people food wise if need be couldn`t it?
I don`t think the UK farming land could sustain 65 million mice let alone humans.

Canada cant be self sufficent, the entire economy is reliant on exporting goods and raw materials and energy to the US. Combine Canadas increasingly ageing population and a constant drain of people to better money and weather in the US, and there is no danger of Canada pulling up the drawbridge any time soon.
All western countries are in trouble but my point is that they COULD pull up the drawbridge with the range of resources available including energy, most commodities and potentially food, it would still be tough but the UK would have no chance.

Last edited by andyg; Jan 22nd 2009 at 6:15 pm. Reason: highliting reply
Old Jan 22nd 2009, 6:02 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat
It doesn't matter where you emigrate to my friend. The view from your bunker will be the same whereever you are.
Well, there is some hope that he will leave his pessimism and paranoia in the departure lounge at heathrow. I hope so anyway, for his and his kids sake.
Old Jan 22nd 2009, 6:06 pm
Forum Regular

Well, there is some hope that he will leave his pessimism and paranoia in the departure lounge at heathrow. I hope so anyway, for his and his kids sake.
At this point i should add i am hopeful for the future if the right moves are made and to show that i am not a totally miserable git i am actually writing this with a lampshade on my head and a twiglet up each nostril.

Last edited by andyg; Jan 22nd 2009 at 6:09 pm.
Old Jan 22nd 2009, 6:06 pm
Just Joined

WinniBee is an unknown quantity at this point

Do you happen to work in the media by any chance??

As regards the state of the future, we will adapt and evolve just has we always have done. I think the current "crisis" is nothing more than a cyclical correction.

I can see your logic in that Canada has vastly more natural resources than say the UK for example, but fundamentally, all Western nations will change.

Think about how people lived and worked 20 years ago versus now, it was very different, 20 years from now, it will be very different.

The current strength of the Sterling is an issue but again, it will recover over the medium term

In a similar vain to yourself, I'm motivated to move to Canada for my children's benefit but I wouldn't write off the UK by any means, it remains one of the strongest and most innovative countries in the world despite current difficulties.
Old Jan 22nd 2009, 6:08 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

All western countries are in trouble but my point is that they COULD pull up the drawbridge with the range of resources available including energy, most commodities and potentially food, it would still be tough but the UK would have no chance.
Didnt the UK survive until the latter half of the 20th century as a net exporter? The UK imports because it chooses to, not because it has too.

Your view is very pessimistic, and I dont agree with it. No one is going to be pulling up any drawbridges, the only way to tackle the challenges we all face is to cooperate internationally and work together to solve them.

Political change happens all over...its only 20 years after all between Thatcherism and New Labour, and changes in Eastern Europe over the same time are even more extreme. Life is change, its nothing to be afraid off. Would you rather be in North Korea, where nothing is allowed to change?

Last edited by iaink; Jan 22nd 2009 at 6:11 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.