Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Moving to Calgary

Moving to Calgary

Old May 14th 2008, 4:15 am
Forum Regular

KAT16 is just really niceKAT16 is just really niceKAT16 is just really niceKAT16 is just really niceKAT16 is just really niceKAT16 is just really niceKAT16 is just really niceKAT16 is just really niceKAT16 is just really niceKAT16 is just really niceKAT16 is just really nice
Default Re: Moving to Calgary

Hi Scottish Dave

My OH, daughter and myself are moving to Calgary in August. He will be working near the airport. I went over a couple of weeks ago to have a look round and really liked the look of Airdrie (it was a toss up between Airdrie and Strathmore). I chose Airdrie because it's a bit nearer for hubby and a bit bigger so plenty of choice of schools etc. It only took 15-20mins to get to the airport from there.

Karen
Old May 14th 2008, 6:10 am
Just Joined

scottishdave is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you to everyone for there comments. Brilliant forum this. All going well the visas I will hopefully be in Calgary by the start of July, so if anyone is free for a beer and a chat that would be great. You will obviously have to recommend the venu.
Old May 14th 2008, 6:14 am
BE Forum Addict

Mountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scottishdave
Thank you to everyone for there comments. Brilliant forum this. All going well the visas I will hopefully be in Calgary by the start of July, so if anyone is free for a beer and a chat that would be great. You will obviously have to recommend the venu.
Kensington is a great place to live and very central. My husband and I rented there for 3 months when we first arrived in Canada.

There are restaurants, bars and shops within walking distance.

Good Luck with the move.
Old May 14th 2008, 7:35 am
Home Sweet Home

Biiba has much to be proud ofBiiba has much to be proud ofBiiba has much to be proud ofBiiba has much to be proud ofBiiba has much to be proud ofBiiba has much to be proud ofBiiba has much to be proud ofBiiba has much to be proud ofBiiba has much to be proud ofBiiba has much to be proud ofBiiba has much to be proud of
Smile Re: Moving to Calgary

Hello everyone, just joined. There seems to be a lot of families that are moving to Canada. Do many single people. I have just been offered a job and I'm on my own. How hard will it be and is Calgary good for a night out as well as general living. Any advise would be great!!!!
Hi Scottish Dave -good luck with your move and welcome to BE
Old May 17th 2008, 2:53 am
Moved from Chester UK

IckleHelen is just really niceIckleHelen is just really niceIckleHelen is just really niceIckleHelen is just really niceIckleHelen is just really niceIckleHelen is just really niceIckleHelen is just really niceIckleHelen is just really niceIckleHelen is just really niceIckleHelen is just really nice

Originally Posted by smelly
Kensington is a great place to live and very central. My husband and I rented there for 3 months when we first arrived in Canada.

There are restaurants, bars and shops within walking distance.

Good Luck with the move.
How did you manage to rent for just 3 months?
Old May 19th 2008, 7:11 am
Just Joined

scottishdave is an unknown quantity at this point

Easy flatmate. com is a great website if you want short term rentals. I've used it all over the UK and thankfully as well it covers all over the world. It has some listing for Canada that I will be checking out when I get there.
Old May 19th 2008, 10:57 am
BE Forum Addict

Paul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond repute

Hello everyone, just joined. There seems to be a lot of families that are moving to Canada. Do many single people. I have just been offered a job and I'm on my own. How hard will it be and is Calgary good for a night out as well as general living. Any advise would be great!!!!
Hello again Dave... I say again as I posted a reply to one of your posts on someone elses thread - then saw your introduction message! I must be blind!!!

Anyway welcome to the forum!

As will see from that other post - you have noitced the same as me, there doesnt seem to many single people making the jump, but Im sure there is, and it looks like you have a load of recommendations and suggestions on stuff.

I will be off to Alliston in Ontario (about 50-60mins drive north of Toronto) I will luckily be living with a friend when I first head out (he emmigrated 3years ago - he was also single then) so Im lucky in that department I guess - however he is engaged now - so cant rely on him too much) But you do have a job lined up - that is most important - something that I hope to do, or at least some leads.. before I go.

Where have you been in Canada before? I visited Calgary 8 years ago now, stayed there for 3 nights, went with 2 friends, I really liked it there, must say its one of my favourite places in Canada, if it wern't for my job (im a draughtsman in engineering) and my friend living in Ontario - I would have seriously considered Calgary. Its probably changed a bit now - even better Id have thought, bit there were loads of decent bars and resturants... had a real good night in a club there called... guess what..... "cowboys" totally differnt to anything I ever saw in the UK! There was a section of the night when they played country music, and everyone just started line dancing- and it wasnt rehearsed! just a normal Saturday night out to them. (not really my thing - but great to see...and when in Rome and all that!)

Anyway Im sure we will speak again soon.

Paul