Reload this Page >

Moving to BC from the UK

Moving to BC from the UK

Old May 31st 2019, 3:43 pm
Just Joined

LdowellS is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving to BC from the UK

Hi everyone, I hope you're all well!

I am new to this site, although having said that, I have been reading other people's posts / threads for a number of months now.
I'm going to try and give as much information as possible here, in the hope that others will be able to give me as much information as possible back

So, my partner and I are in our late 20's and have 4 beautiful children. (Age range between 8yo and 18mths).
We currently live in the UK and have been discussing and planning on wanting to move to Canada for the past 2 years now. We have been looking into a few area's in BC (Kamloops, Abbotsford, Kelowna, Chilliwack) and have also considered Calgary.
My partner owns his own businesses, he is a trader (trading furniture in particular) but also owns a construction company. He trades mainly in the UK, Canada and USA and his construction company is currently UK based only. Trading in Canada means he is a frequent visitor to your beautiful country, and he also has extended family there as his maternal Uncle moved to Calgary around 10 years ago now so visits him and his family on business trips.
He started trading in Canada roughly about 8 years ago, but recently his work has really picked up and he is becoming the most successful he has ever been! (Proud ) Which brings us to one of many reasons as to why we want to move to the country.
Some other reasons are:
* Canada is absolutely beautiful, it's a place we have both fallen in love with
* We feel the quality of life would be so much better for both ourselves and our children
* We both have good work ethic, and feel we would be beneficial to the country (him with his businesses and myself with my child care qualifications & nail technician diploma)

We are planning on travelling to Canada for 2 weeks in September for the first time as a family, to go and visit some of the locations we are interested in and have even spoken with immigration about the possibility of looking at schools and rental properties (which they have ok'd ) so everything is moving in the right direction!
Our initial plan is to move in Spring next year, and to rent a property. While renting, we want to look into buying our own land, getting the land approved and eventually building our dream home!
I guess my reason for writing the thread, is in hope that someone (or as many of you as possible) could give some information on the areas I have listed, or even suggesting areas in which you feel would be ideal for my family and I to live in. Although we know abit about the country and have visited a fair few times over the years, I appreciate that LIVING in an area and VISITING an area are two completely different things.

ANY advice / information on the areas (schooling, affordability, cost of living etc) would be massively appreciated!
Hopefully I haven't bored you all too much!

Many thanks in advance
L x
Old May 31st 2019, 4:23 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to BC from the UK

Originally Posted by LdowellS
Hi everyone, I hope you're all well!

I am new to this site, although having said that, I have been reading other people's posts / threads for a number of months now.
I'm going to try and give as much information as possible here, in the hope that others will be able to give me as much information as possible back

So, my partner and I are in our late 20's and have 4 beautiful children. (Age range between 8yo and 18mths).
We currently live in the UK and have been discussing and planning on wanting to move to Canada for the past 2 years now. We have been looking into a few area's in BC (Kamloops, Abbotsford, Kelowna, Chilliwack) and have also considered Calgary.
My partner owns his own businesses, he is a trader (trading furniture in particular) but also owns a construction company. He trades mainly in the UK, Canada and USA and his construction company is currently UK based only. Trading in Canada means he is a frequent visitor to your beautiful country, and he also has extended family there as his maternal Uncle moved to Calgary around 10 years ago now so visits him and his family on business trips.
He started trading in Canada roughly about 8 years ago, but recently his work has really picked up and he is becoming the most successful he has ever been! (Proud ) Which brings us to one of many reasons as to why we want to move to the country.
Some other reasons are:
* Canada is absolutely beautiful, it's a place we have both fallen in love with
* We feel the quality of life would be so much better for both ourselves and our children
* We both have good work ethic, and feel we would be beneficial to the country (him with his businesses and myself with my child care qualifications & nail technician diploma)

We are planning on travelling to Canada for 2 weeks in September for the first time as a family, to go and visit some of the locations we are interested in and have even spoken with immigration about the possibility of looking at schools and rental properties (which they have ok'd ) so everything is moving in the right direction!
Our initial plan is to move in Spring next year, and to rent a property. While renting, we want to look into buying our own land, getting the land approved and eventually building our dream home!
I guess my reason for writing the thread, is in hope that someone (or as many of you as possible) could give some information on the areas I have listed, or even suggesting areas in which you feel would be ideal for my family and I to live in. Although we know abit about the country and have visited a fair few times over the years, I appreciate that LIVING in an area and VISITING an area are two completely different things.

ANY advice / information on the areas (schooling, affordability, cost of living etc) would be massively appreciated!
Hopefully I haven't bored you all too much!

Many thanks in advance
L x
Hello and welcome to BE!

The first thing you need to determine is whether you will qualify and have enough points for an invitation to apply for Permanent Residency through Express Entry or if you will need to find another route. Until you know that you are able to emigrate there is little point in discussing specific areas. Are you hoping to immigrate under Federal Skilled Worker, Trades (for the construction side of your husbands work) or as self employed for his 'trader' side? Your husband may need to get his Certificate of Qualification from which ever Province you are hoping to live in for any Trade that he has; as will you - you will need Provincial Certification to work in Child Care - it's a regulated industry - as are Construction trades. Your plan to move by spring next year may not be feasible, there are a lot of steps to go through before you reach that point. (I'm not sure if Nail Technician is regulated, it will depend on the Province).

Your ages are in your favour, if you wanted to consider applying under International Experience Canada for a 2 year work permit (it's a draw for places each year) but with 4 children I think I would be a little reluctant to move over without some guarantee of a permanent move.

When you say you have "talked with Immigration" I'm a little confused as you can't call RCIC from the UK. You can visit schools etc., as a tourist, (a 'recce' trip) - no need for consent for that.

You say that your husband has been making business trips to Canada - did he tell immigration that he was conducting business or did he tell them that he was here visiting relatives with no mention of that? https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration...ss-people.html

Do start another thread in our Immigration forum for advice on what routes may be available to you - but in the meantime have a read over our wiki section on immigrating to Canada: https://britishexpats.com/wiki/Quick...an_Immigration

Last edited by Siouxie; May 31st 2019 at 4:26 pm.