Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Moving to BC as an artist

Moving to BC as an artist

Old Jan 29th 2021, 3:51 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to BC as an artist

https://britishexpats.com/wiki/Categ...nada_Financial
Old Jan 31st 2021, 12:45 pm
Just Joined

darkneal is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by L0VE
I think March would be a good time to move you'll have the summer ahead to enjoy
We moved to the Okanagan in July 2019
The main reason for the Okanagan was family.
Why I love it here is the amazing climate, surrounded by beautiful wineries. The lakes. Paddleboarding, kayaking, hiking. In the summer you can plan to have a BQ and almost guarantee it will be gorgeously sunny and dry. Although in winter we get more snow than the western part of BC it's milder and a much dryer climate. It so warm cactuses actually grow in people gardens here! lol
I can't comment or compare with other places in BC but I found rent is high compared to UK and many homeowners Airbnb rather than rent, so finding accommodation was hard. We ended up staying with family for 5 months rather than weeks and then had to to do with an apartment because finding a house to rent was impossible. You would visit the place only to find out it was a shared house or shared laundry or just the bottom level of the house. Some were only available in the winter months. So that is something to keep an eye on. We are not settled, so holding off buying a home. I'm frequently told that if I visit the West Coast I would never want to leave because of my love of forests, coast, trees and nature that emanates through my art. So would like to visit there, after this pandemic. Love Golden, Nekusp and Nelson too! Spoilt for choice really. So I'm not that helpful sorry LOL
One last thing some places don't have internet or even mobile reception so with your work that would need to be checked out.
Where are you thinking of going to?
ok, so after serious research im seriously looking at Kelowna, kamloops or Penticton. Mostly for the great summer weather, but West Kelowna seems pretty good for the arts as well. Would you have any recommendations for any of these 3 places in the Okanagan area?

My other preferred destination is on the coast in Victoria or Salt springs, still with a decent climate but mostly with a good arts community.
Old Jan 31st 2021, 5:10 pm
"In cruce vincam"

rivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond repute

Saltspring and the Cowichan Valley are very arty
\
Old Jan 31st 2021, 10:28 pm
Just Joined

darkneal is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by rivingtonpike
Saltspring and the Cowichan Valley are very arty
\
oh wow, thanks for the tip. i've been looking at salt springs and victoria and all this time there was this magical place nearby i'd never noticed....Cowichan Valley looks amazing, im def gonna do some research on that place now....any recs on any of the towns in the valley? i liked the look of Chemainus on initial viewing, maybe Duncan as well....
Old Feb 1st 2021, 3:20 am
"In cruce vincam"

rivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by darkneal
oh wow, thanks for the tip. i've been looking at salt springs and victoria and all this time there was this magical place nearby i'd never noticed....Cowichan Valley looks amazing, im def gonna do some research on that place now....any recs on any of the towns in the valley? i liked the look of Chemainus on initial viewing, maybe Duncan as well....
I think I’m right in saying Chemainus is north of the valley. Duncan has a handful of galleries. Cowichan Bay has galleries, pottery and sculpture. Duncan also has 60 - 70 totem poles (something like that). Salt spring seems to be a bit more “dippy hippy” - whereas Cow Valley is a bit more grounded.
Old Feb 1st 2021, 3:24 am
"In cruce vincam"

Originally Posted by darkneal
Cowichan Valley means “warmlands” in native language. We have a spectacular climate, with little snow, fairly mild winters, reasonable summers, and I think half the rainfall of Vancouver (again, someone may know better).