Reload this Page >

Banking Jobs in Canada

Banking Jobs in Canada

Old Jan 21st 2021, 8:35 pm
Just Joined

Kingh is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Banking Jobs in Canada

Hi,

I moved from the UK to Edmonton, Alberta, Canada 18 months ago.

In the UK I have worked in banking since 2003, I started as a Cashier/Teller and worked my way up to a Commercial Banking Manager position, which I have done for over 8 years now. I have worked for big banks in the UK like Lloyds, RBS and help small and medium businesses. I also have a degree in business.

I meet all the criteria needed on the job adverts for commercial banking, but I rarely get a response back. I don’t know why?

I am having real problems even getting interviews for similar or even lower level banking positions in Canada.

I have had my resume checked by resume advisors again and again and they say it’s fine.

I am not tied to Edmonton at all and will be happy to move if a job became available.

Any constructive advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Old Jan 21st 2021, 9:23 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Banking Jobs in Canada

Welcome to BE.

Banking jobs are on the decline as more and more banking moves online. I think because of Covid, the banks will realize they don’t need as many branches and start to close them. Many banks here (Toronto) are closed due to the virus, just the lobby open for access to the cash machines.
Old Jan 21st 2021, 10:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

scilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond repute

It's the same here in Vancouver.

My local CIBC branch was renovated and updated a couple of years ago.

Can't get money from a teller, use the machine.

Fortunately I closed my accounts with them many years ago, all I kept was my Visa card, and I can pay that on line.

But it does mean a reduction in staff.

Just one question, Kingh .............

who is vetting your resume??? Are you sure that it is to the Canadian standard??
Old Jan 22nd 2021, 2:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

Tumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kingh
Hi,

I moved from the UK to Edmonton, Alberta, Canada 18 months ago.

In the UK I have worked in banking since 2003, I started as a Cashier/Teller and worked my way up to a Commercial Banking Manager position, which I have done for over 8 years now. I have worked for big banks in the UK like Lloyds, RBS and help small and medium businesses. I also have a degree in business.

I meet all the criteria needed on the job adverts for commercial banking, but I rarely get a response back. I don’t know why?

I am having real problems even getting interviews for similar or even lower level banking positions in Canada.

I have had my resume checked by resume advisors again and again and they say it’s fine.

I am not tied to Edmonton at all and will be happy to move if a job became available.

Any constructive advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
I was an IFA in the UK so I can sort of understand where you are coming from. Banking in Canada is very much a totem pole, it seems, which is excellent for young people who have their heads screwed on and work as tellers part time whilst studying. But, for someone with experience, it can be a bit deflating. Part of the pain of moving to a new country where they have their own way of doing things. You are highly unlikely to get a teller job as they are mostly part time positions and mostly (in Halifax anyway) staffed by students doing business degrees.

For me, I wanted to get back to being a financial planner as soon as possible so I did the Canadian Securities Course and joined one of the banks as a "finanical advisor". If you haven't done some qualification like this, you need to find out what it would be for commerical banking and get cracking. The alternative is to do your CSC and get into the retail bank for a spell. Locally, it seems that they expect you to be in a role for about a year to 18 months and move on, although you need to meet the thresholds required to move on. As soon as you would be in, you would need to proactively hunt down all the commerical people, and the head of commercial in your area, and speak to them. Keep in touch regularly so they know you by name - that will put you in the frame for moving into commercial.

How to get in then? I was fortunate in that I came across a "talent acquisition manager" who had the foresight to value my experience and worked with him for about 6 months to define what I wanted, where I wanted to go and explain how I could be of benefit to the bank. It was more like a very long, detailed, conversation, and it seemed that they created a vacancy for me. Outside of that, I went to a local job fair for immigrants and met the hiring manager for another bank where I had applied twice and been rejected. Meeting the person, however, she said I was what they were looking for and gave me her card.

So, applying directly will generally get you rejected if you have no credentials and no Canadian track record. I would suggest using Linkedin to see if you can find out who the local hiring managers are and try to get an introduction to them. Getting in front of a human is key to the whole thing. If you were in Halifax, I would be able to perhaps offer more practical help, but that is about the sum of the insight I can offer you based on your post.

Only other thing I will say is that TD seem to be creating a lot of posts in the Moncton area. I guess they have a service centre there - perhaps even consider that as a way in if such things exist in your area. Once you are in, even it it is only part time, you can then make the running if you are a proactive person.
Old Jan 23rd 2021, 7:50 pm
Forum Regular

EngCan is an unknown quantity at this point

Your time in banking and experience is almost the same as mine and I too found it difficult to find a job here (applying from the UK though).

I did research online and found out who the 'area managers' were for the big banks where we wanted to move to and then got in touch through either LinkedIn or directly by email if I could find one online. When we were coming over on trips I then met with them for a chat and in the end I got a job working in one of these teams . I still had to go through the interview process but I suspect if they did not know me already I may not have got to that stage.

For me it was making sure they knew who I was before there was actually a job going!
Old Jan 24th 2021, 8:54 pm
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute

I agree with some of the good advise on here. Approach some recruiters and hiring managers directly on LinkedIn.

Unfortunately you will play second fiddle to referred candidates when you apply online even if you are much stronger on paper.

Old Jan 26th 2021, 7:37 am
Sidecar Falcon

DigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond repute

I've noticed that RBC have been recruiting for a lot of people in my line of work in Ontario just recently and since I do IT cloud technology and automation, it would indicate they're maybe looking at a more online focused business going forward.

Who knows, maybe the Canadian banking sector might finally look to join the 21st century. I appreciate it doesn't bode as well for people who work in more traditional banking careers though.
Old Feb 1st 2021, 5:04 am
BE Enthusiast

Tony_Tiger is a splendid one to beholdTony_Tiger is a splendid one to beholdTony_Tiger is a splendid one to beholdTony_Tiger is a splendid one to beholdTony_Tiger is a splendid one to beholdTony_Tiger is a splendid one to beholdTony_Tiger is a splendid one to beholdTony_Tiger is a splendid one to beholdTony_Tiger is a splendid one to beholdTony_Tiger is a splendid one to beholdTony_Tiger is a splendid one to behold

I worked for TD when I came to Canada in 2012. I got lucky, I went to a mass recruiting event.
Having your mutual funds licence will help a lot. Connect on linked In with advisors. I knew someone in the same boat and they ended up getting in. But it took a lot of networking.
A lot of the big jobs for TD will be out east. However, credit unions and provincial institutions like ATB are a good start.
Networking is key. Join local business groups, many business owners will have contacts in the banking world too.