Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Moving Back To The UK

Moving Back To The UK

Old Feb 14th 2017, 2:35 am
Forum Regular

Rooander has a reputation beyond reputeRooander has a reputation beyond reputeRooander has a reputation beyond reputeRooander has a reputation beyond reputeRooander has a reputation beyond reputeRooander has a reputation beyond reputeRooander has a reputation beyond reputeRooander has a reputation beyond reputeRooander has a reputation beyond reputeRooander has a reputation beyond reputeRooander has a reputation beyond repute
Default Moving Back To The UK

Hi everyone

We have lived here in Canada for the last 8years but are planning to move back to the UK within the next couple of years.

Has anyone done this? And if so how hard was it?
Old Feb 14th 2017, 3:06 am
"In cruce vincam"

rivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving Back To The UK

Originally Posted by Rooander
Hi everyone

We have lived here in Canada for the last 8years but are planning to move back to the UK within the next couple of years.

where in the UK would you intend to move to? And where in Canada are you moving from?
Old Feb 14th 2017, 3:24 am
Forum Regular

Rooander has a reputation beyond reputeRooander has a reputation beyond reputeRooander has a reputation beyond reputeRooander has a reputation beyond reputeRooander has a reputation beyond reputeRooander has a reputation beyond reputeRooander has a reputation beyond reputeRooander has a reputation beyond reputeRooander has a reputation beyond reputeRooander has a reputation beyond reputeRooander has a reputation beyond repute

Moving out of Saskatoon and back to my hometown of Hastings.
Old Feb 14th 2017, 3:47 am
Nuther day in paradise.ca

magnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond repute

Have a look the Moving back to UK page, many have done the same

Moving back to the UK - British Expats
Old Feb 14th 2017, 4:11 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by magnumpi
Have a look the Moving back to UK page, many have done the same

Moving back to the UK - British Expats
OK Thanks
Old Feb 14th 2017, 2:50 pm
Every day's a school day

cheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond repute

Hi everyone

i moved back to the UK in 2014 after living in Canada for 5 years..i have recently returned after 2 1/2 years back home.
Old Feb 14th 2017, 3:01 pm
Forum Regular

Kentonmag has a reputation beyond reputeKentonmag has a reputation beyond reputeKentonmag has a reputation beyond reputeKentonmag has a reputation beyond reputeKentonmag has a reputation beyond reputeKentonmag has a reputation beyond reputeKentonmag has a reputation beyond reputeKentonmag has a reputation beyond reputeKentonmag has a reputation beyond reputeKentonmag has a reputation beyond reputeKentonmag has a reputation beyond repute

My Son who was 2 year old when we moved to Canada from the UK in 1991, moved back to live in the UK last September at age 28. The only thing he needed was to get a home address in the UK before he could apply for a National Insurance number. His girlfriend went over with him but since she is only Canadian she applied and received a 2 year working visa. They had an apartment (flat in England) and jobs within 3 weeks of arriving there.
Old Feb 14th 2017, 4:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

Paul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cheeky_monkey
i moved back to the UK in 2014 after living in Canada for 5 years..i have recently returned after 2 1/2 years back home.
What made you move back to Canada after 2 and half years?
Old Feb 14th 2017, 7:21 pm
Every day's a school day

cheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Paul_Shepherd
What made you move back to Canada after 2 and half years?
well in the back of my mind..i was only going back home temporarily.....i was set to come back in 2015 and had a job lined up in Calgary etc but life happens.

The main reason for coming back however was the realization that financially i would be better off in Canada..although i had a good job and a well paid job in London i couldn't get back on the housing ladder and the amount i could save each month was minimal..if i keep my head down and my nose clean for the next 20 years here i can do alright and should be able to retire with some degree of financial security.
Old Feb 14th 2017, 7:39 pm
Will work for shoes.....

wonderwoman has a reputation beyond reputewonderwoman has a reputation beyond reputewonderwoman has a reputation beyond reputewonderwoman has a reputation beyond reputewonderwoman has a reputation beyond reputewonderwoman has a reputation beyond reputewonderwoman has a reputation beyond reputewonderwoman has a reputation beyond reputewonderwoman has a reputation beyond reputewonderwoman has a reputation beyond reputewonderwoman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cheeky_monkey

The main reason for coming back however was the realization that financially i would be better off in Canada..although i had a good job and a well paid job in London i couldn't get back on the housing ladder and the amount i could save each month was minimal..if i keep my head down and my nose clean for the next 20 years here i can do alright and should be able to retire with some degree of financial security.
I'm considering a move back to the UK, it definitely seems like I'll be taking a step back financially and property wise, my heart says move but my head says "think of the money!"
Old Feb 14th 2017, 7:41 pm
Will work for shoes.....

wonderwoman has a reputation beyond reputewonderwoman has a reputation beyond reputewonderwoman has a reputation beyond reputewonderwoman has a reputation beyond reputewonderwoman has a reputation beyond reputewonderwoman has a reputation beyond reputewonderwoman has a reputation beyond reputewonderwoman has a reputation beyond reputewonderwoman has a reputation beyond reputewonderwoman has a reputation beyond reputewonderwoman has a reputation beyond repute

Hi everyone

I'd be interested in your motivation for moving back? I'm at the ten year mark and it's recently became a topic in our house
Old Feb 14th 2017, 7:53 pm
Forum Regular

Kentonmag has a reputation beyond reputeKentonmag has a reputation beyond reputeKentonmag has a reputation beyond reputeKentonmag has a reputation beyond reputeKentonmag has a reputation beyond reputeKentonmag has a reputation beyond reputeKentonmag has a reputation beyond reputeKentonmag has a reputation beyond reputeKentonmag has a reputation beyond reputeKentonmag has a reputation beyond reputeKentonmag has a reputation beyond repute

Actually it depends where you currently live in Canada whether you would be better off financially moving back to the UK. House prices in the UK have stagnated for about 3 years now and have took an extra hit because of Brexit. If you happen to live within a 100 klm radius of Toronto you've made at least 40% on your property value in those same 3 years. The current exchange rate is 20% better for buying Sterling with Canadian dollars than it was one year ago.
I can say that in my 26 years of living in Canada this would be the best time financially to move back. I've looked and can afford property, over there, that I could only dream of living in when I was living in the UK.
Old Feb 14th 2017, 8:02 pm
Will work for shoes.....

Originally Posted by Kentonmag
Actually it depends where you currently live in Canada whether you would be better off financially moving back to the UK. House prices in the UK have stagnated for about 3 years now and have took an extra hit because of Brexit. If you happen to live within a 100 klm radius of Toronto you've made at least 40% on your property value in those same 3 years. The current exchange rate is 20% better for buying Sterling with Canadian dollars than it was one year ago.
I can say that in my 26 years of living in Canada this would be the best time financially to move back. I've looked and can afford property, over there, that I could only dream of living in when I was living in the UK.
I'm in Alberta, I brought in a boom, my house has increased but not by as much as I'd like lol! I can afford to buy, but the trade off is a smaller house than what I left in the UK, but hopefully in a better area....... I'm just penny pinching all the costs, as I hate losing money 😂
Old Feb 14th 2017, 8:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

Hi everyone

Yep - we did it after 7 years in Canada. It wasn't particularly hard as our 2 kids were 3 and 2 at the time. We sold our house in Canada (just outside Toronto) and rented in the UK (London). Bit of a pain trying to open a UK bank account (we closed them when we left the UK and didn't have proof of address when we returned). We lasted 2 years in the UK. We enjoyed living there but after about 18 months we started to get itchy feet again. We realized that we missed North America and wanted to bring the kids up there. About 6 months later we were in Maryland.
Old Feb 14th 2017, 9:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

Canuck74 has a reputation beyond reputeCanuck74 has a reputation beyond reputeCanuck74 has a reputation beyond reputeCanuck74 has a reputation beyond reputeCanuck74 has a reputation beyond reputeCanuck74 has a reputation beyond reputeCanuck74 has a reputation beyond reputeCanuck74 has a reputation beyond reputeCanuck74 has a reputation beyond reputeCanuck74 has a reputation beyond reputeCanuck74 has a reputation beyond repute

If you stay away from the south and southeast you will be fine,

Originally Posted by wonderwoman
I'm in Alberta, I brought in a boom, my house has increased but not by as much as I'd like lol! I can afford to buy, but the trade off is a smaller house than what I left in the UK, but hopefully in a better area....... I'm just penny pinching all the costs, as I hate losing money 😂

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.