Reload this Page >

Moving back to UK

Moving back to UK

Old Jan 26th 2010, 5:09 pm
ork
Just Joined

ork is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Moving back to UK

Also to Delboy: Thank you both for your replies earlier. I would have responded sooner but I've been offline!
Old Jan 26th 2010, 5:20 pm
ork
Just Joined

I hope that it is okay to ask a quick question here rather than starting a brand new thread - as I don't mean it to be a full-on big topic and none of you have bitten my head off (yet) when I post.

I haven't been over the border to the states since I've been here. We are planning a quick trip this weekend. However my official PR card still hasn't arrived. I have my UK passport containing my canadian visa and the official piece of paper stapled inside my passport - that should be enough at the border...

...shouldn't it?
Old Jan 26th 2010, 5:22 pm
G77
BE Forum Addict

G77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ork
I haven't been over the border to the states since I've been here. We are planning a quick trip this weekend. However my official PR card still hasn't arrived. I have my UK passport containing my canadian visa and the official piece of paper stapled inside my passport - that should be enough at the border...

...shouldn't it?
This has been covered recently - there's no requirement to present your PR card, but it can speed things up is the official line.

In my experience they quite often don't even take ANY documentation off me to get back into the country, so can't imagine it will be a problem.
Old Jan 26th 2010, 5:32 pm
Banned

Butch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ork
I hope that it is okay to ask a quick question here rather than starting a brand new thread - as I don't mean it to be a full-on big topic and none of you have bitten my head off (yet) when I post.

...shouldn't it?
Originally Posted by G77
This has been covered recently - there's no requirement to present your PR card, but it can speed things up is the official line.

In my experience they quite often don't even take ANY documentation off me to get back into the country, so can't imagine it will be a problem.
What the whippersnapper from windsor said is true
Old Jan 26th 2010, 6:17 pm
ork
Just Joined

Originally Posted by G77

Thank you!
Old Jan 26th 2010, 6:17 pm
ork
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Butch Cassidy
What the whippersnapper from windsor said is true
Thank you too!
Old Feb 1st 2010, 1:46 am
Just Joined

canadiangrape is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Moving back to UK - UPDATE

Wow! I never knew there was so many unhappy people in the same situation. We have moved back to UK now I got a job within a week of being home earning as I thought twice the amount I was in Canada. I am very glad to be back where things make sense, Living in Vancouver was the most expensive thing I have ever done! Now to start remaking the money wasted on moving to such an unfriendly and one sided country.

Im so glad to be no longer in a situation where I should feel grateful for a job way beneath my qualifications and experience. My family are much happier now we are back and so is my wallet!

To anyone thinking of moving to Canada, expect to work in a dead end job and get paid nothing and treated like dirt by Canadian employers.
Old Feb 1st 2010, 3:08 am

dboy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by canadiangrape
Wow! I never knew there was so many unhappy people in the same situation. We have moved back to UK now I got a job within a week of being home earning as I thought twice the amount I was in Canada. I am very glad to be back where things make sense, Living in Vancouver was the most expensive thing I have ever done! Now to start remaking the money wasted on moving to such an unfriendly and one sided country.

Im so glad to be no longer in a situation where I should feel grateful for a job way beneath my qualifications and experience. My family are much happier now we are back and so is my wallet!

To anyone thinking of moving to Canada, expect to work in a dead end job and get paid nothing and treated like dirt by Canadian employers.
Hope that wine and cheese is working out for you.

i moved to vancouver, don't work in a dead end job, and get treated smashingly thank you, and get paid a lot more than I would in the UK doing the same job. Each to his own. Would you like a piece of cheese with that whine?
Old Feb 1st 2010, 7:58 am
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

Well at least you're not bitter

Just out of curiosity, what work did you do in Vancouver and what do you do in the UK?
Old Feb 1st 2010, 7:39 pm
Forum Regular

joepublic has a reputation beyond reputejoepublic has a reputation beyond reputejoepublic has a reputation beyond reputejoepublic has a reputation beyond reputejoepublic has a reputation beyond reputejoepublic has a reputation beyond reputejoepublic has a reputation beyond reputejoepublic has a reputation beyond reputejoepublic has a reputation beyond reputejoepublic has a reputation beyond reputejoepublic has a reputation beyond repute
Angry Re: Moving back to UK

Originally Posted by Oink
Wine is bloody expensive here. I could get a nice red in Morrisons for 2.99 gbp. You've got to pay 11 or 12 dollars here.
That's because this poxy country's full of raging alcoholics and the more you buy the cheaper it gets

I hardly drink anything (unusual for a squaddie I know, but true nonetheless) but I'd pay $50 a bottle if it meant getting out of this sh#t hole
Old Feb 1st 2010, 8:07 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by joepublic
That's because this poxy country's full of raging alcoholics and the more you buy the cheaper it gets

I hardly drink anything (unusual for a squaddie I know, but true nonetheless) but I'd pay $50 a bottle if it meant getting out of this sh#t hole
You'll soon be living the dream then.
Old Feb 1st 2010, 8:16 pm
Pea Brain

R I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond repute

I'd offer some karma, but it appears you've had it already.
Old Feb 1st 2010, 8:21 pm
Forum Regular

joepublic has a reputation beyond reputejoepublic has a reputation beyond reputejoepublic has a reputation beyond reputejoepublic has a reputation beyond reputejoepublic has a reputation beyond reputejoepublic has a reputation beyond reputejoepublic has a reputation beyond reputejoepublic has a reputation beyond reputejoepublic has a reputation beyond reputejoepublic has a reputation beyond reputejoepublic has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alan2005
You'll soon be living the dream then.
I think I'm a realist (although my wife calls me a pessimist). I don't anticipate things being 'a dream' but hopefully a little better than here. I think the year we spent living there was enough to get a feel for the place, people and environment, and we all seemed to thrive on it. To be honest, I'll be happy with a decent sized affordable house and a reasonable amount of traffic, anything else beyond that is a bonus for me. The biggest hurdle from now on in is what CiC decide with respect to my daughter. She has Asperger's as you probably know. We had our medicals last week and are now expecting a long and tense few months while we wait for the outcome.

Canada/UK both have their pluses and minuses; one man's meat is another man's poison as they say, but I know which one suits us better
Old Feb 1st 2010, 9:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

airbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by joepublic

Quality....

Yours aye....K
Old Feb 1st 2010, 9:19 pm
slanderer of the innocent

ExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond repute

Hmm. I see lots of Brits in senior management in this company Lots working in their profession, too. Maybe it depends what industry you're in.

FYI my brother has found the same as you in the UK. His qualifications aren't recognised and he's basically had to start again, finds it's who you know not what you know etc. etc. He's thinking of emigrating to Canada.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.